Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Problematic raider. Need advice bad.

My guild is currently 10/14N SoO. This is good compared to our luck the last two tiers. However, we have had a recurring problem with a veteran member of the guild. First, a bit of background. We started this expansion a few short. Raiders who didn't come back for what ever reason. This lead us to having to recruit a tank, and two healers. I got promoted to officer and got to recruiting. Now, the problem should have been fixed. Sadly, it didn't. Each time we recruit a new healer, within a month, this veteran raiders attitude chases them away. He has also managed to chase away every tank ive gotten. In total, we have gone through five tanks, 3-4dps, and over 10 healers, all because they can't stand this guy.

I am at a loss as to what to do. Even a good friend of mine who came from a hard core guild where an officer raged himself into the ER couldn't handle this guys attitude. He doesn't scream, he doesn't yell. Its literally just him. He has been here since before I was even in the guild. We have even had officers leave because of him.

Its getting to the point where I simply can't keep up. I get someone, he loses them. The last healer was within two days! Is there anything I can do? He has been here much longer then I, so I fear there is literally nothing I can do to get this to at least lessen. Im now having to deal with an OT who is lacking raid awareness or tanking capabilities so badly just so we can raid. Still don't have another healer. I don't think we can get very many more healers.

Deleted
    Kick his ass out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    Kick his ass out
    Basically. If he's THAT toxic, he shouldn't have a raid spot. If he can't change, he's not right for the group. Losing 20 people because of him is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $6 for a game made in 1993? If it was free then maybe I would buy it instead of pirating it.

Deleted
    Boot him, he is disruptive and unneeded.

Is this 1 tank worth 5 tanks, 3-4 dps, and over 10 healers?

The answer is, in my opinion, 'probably not', but I guess it's up for you to decide.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't see the part where the solution is not obvious.

Im not sure if I would even be allowed to boot him. Hes our top dps, and has been in the guild since it was created in vanilla. My hands are literally tied in that respect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    Is this one tank worth 5 tanks, 3-4 dps, and over 10 healers?

The answer is 'probably not', but I guess it's up for you to decide.
    Hes a dps. He complains if we ask him to tank.

i do not think that we can help you with this. you might want to post your text in your guild-internal forum. or you, the GM and said veteran go into a private ts/ventrilo channel and CALMLY and OBJECTIVELY (that's the most important part) talk about his behaviour. it's important to leave all emotions and personal attacks out of this. just stay with the facts (his behaviour is bad for your guild).

good luck.

Then maybe you should be the 6th tank he's drove to quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the kick his ass thing, but what does he ...do exactly? Passive aggressive? Talks down? Assumes class behaviors without knowledge? Talks too much? You're being a bit vague.

If you have control over the voice chat, I'd say mute him and let him know that he's under lock down unless he curbs his...whatever he's doing. If you don't ever come down hard on these players then they run rampant like this and never learn. If he takes offence to this enough, then he'll leave of his own accord anyway.

But do as my guild does (luckily the officers are extremely good at stamping out bad behaviour from all members, whether it's assholishness, idiocy, sexism, religion and such and it's one of the main reasons I stay so firmly with this guild, it's a safe haven from the dickery you come across elsewhere, and took me 3 years in game to find said guild) and just play the firm but fair card. If you're an officer, start using some authoritah!

And don't let a thing like class roles be used as a bargaining chip, he's probably been holding onto that like a vice grip. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE. You just have to dig deep and keep looking, Someone else will step up eventually and it seems to me that losing a few days of raiding due to low signs or roles is worth it to clear out his poison from the guild. Even if the person you get to replace him is worse, just try and remember to enjoy raiding again and maybe help the new person learn. It'll be far more worth it.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    Then maybe you should be the 6th tank he's drove to quit.
    Almost there at this point. Recently had his friend join us as dps and he isn't doing enough on thok, but he defends him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    Kick his ass out
    This indeed.

If you don't wanna go the direct and harsh approach you could talk to him and tell him that if he does not change his attitude you'll have to kick him out of the guild/raid group and give him one more chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    I agree with the kick his ass thing, but what does he ...do exactly? Passive aggressive? Talks down? Assumes class behaviors without knowledge? Talks too much? You're being a bit vague.
    Its literally just a case of His personality. From what ive been told, he is rude and generally seems like he is on a high horse. This guy has actually gotten someone to gquit by being polite. He said "would you mind sitting out for this fight?" and the guy left because that was the last straw.

If he is that toxic for the group you tell him to shutup and stay outta it for the good of the raid. If he cant manage that then top DPS or not you bench him until he changes his attitude or leaves the guild. No guild should have to put up with toxic attitude players that make the fun and enjoyment for everyone else diminished to the point where they no longer wish to be a part of your social community.

Talk to your GM and officers. If it cant be resolved then tell em he is pushing everyone out as evidenced by your initial post and his toxic behaviour can no longer be tolerated (IE time for you to leave the guild as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Its literally just a case of His personality. From what ive been told, he is rude and generally seems like he is on a high horse. This guy has actually gotten someone to gquit by being polite. He said "would you mind sitting out for this fight?" and the guy left because that was the last straw.
    This doesn't make any sense.

Going to need more specific examples, because no one guy's personality is going to drive people away unless he is doing something directly to them.

No guild privileges or raid spots for him if he continues with his attitude. If he doesnt change then he'd be forced to change guilds.

Keep him. Keep him in the guild then create a new guild without him -- hell, invite all the other players he's scared off while you're at it -- and when he realizes everybody left the current guild because he's a vitriolic piece of shit, he'll either think he's the most amazing troll in World of Warcraft, or he'll kill himself. Either way, humanity wins.

Deleted
    I'd like to know what exactly he's doing that is soooo toxic. Is he that sarcastic prick in your raid team? (that was me at some point lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Oogly View Post
    Talk to your GM and officers. If it cant be resolved then tell em he is pushing everyone out as evidenced by your initial post and his toxic behaviour can no longer be tolerated (IE time for you to leave the guild as well).
    I so wish I could do that. Im the only officer that actually bothers to do anything for the guild. The gm shows up to raid, then logs off. Still doesn't have his legendary meta or properly researched his class changes. Most people who have been here for awhile and know him seem to be able to tolerate him. Its just new recruits that leave quickly due to him. Why, idk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicat View Post
    This doesn't make any sense.

Going to need more specific examples, because no one guy's personality is going to drive people away unless he is doing something directly to them.
    Ok, example. He says things like "maybe if you pay attention or heal, we will actually get things killed". Or I for example say I figured out something and he says 'Imagine that, avoid the mechanic that hurts you helps keep you alive". Those types of comments.

Deleted
    -Tell him he's acting like a douche, he won't listen...
    -Ask the GM/other officers to boot him, if they don't listen...

-Take whatever friends you have in the guild and leave.

It's really, really, really simple.