Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplexity View Post
    Going to pull this on Thursday and would like some help on comp.

    Healers: pretty much set in stone
    -R sham/R dru/Disc

    Tanks:
    -Blood DK (GM, probably won't want to sit) and Prot Pally

    DPS:
    -Lock/Mage/SP/Rogue/Hunter/Ret/Boomkin


    What should we go with?
    Can your Boomkin go Resto? Or does set in stone mean you are definitely three-healing it? If he can, I'd go with something like:
    Tank: Prot Paladin
    Healers: Druidx2/Shaman/DPriest
    DPS: Lock/Mage/Rogue/Hunter/Ret

    If your Blood DK won't sit then you'd probably have to 2-tank it - which I think is a waste. You could probably swap the Shadow Priest in for something - we don't have one so I'm not too familiar with them.

    Log of our first kill with almost the exact same setup (We had a Holy Paladin instead of a 2nd Resto Druid and a Brewmaster instead of a Prot Paladin)
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-te...=12218&e=12724

    Three healers is doable but I think that 4 is definitely superior - especially for learning. It will also be easier to push stacks to 28/29 in each screech phase so you can make sure you have 3 minute rotations - which will be easier to repeat. It also helps a lot with dispels and keeping people topped in the kite phases where people can end up pretty spread out.
    Jellogtwo - Druid - Royal Militia [A10] - Main - 14/14H
    Jellog - Monk - Royal Militia [A10] - Alt - 12/14H

    <Royal Militia> - 14/14H x2, US 27th (22nd for 10s only), is now recruiting all classes for WoD!

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellog View Post
    Can your Boomkin go Resto? Or does set in stone mean you are definitely three-healing it? If he can, I'd go with something like:
    Tank: Prot Paladin
    Healers: Druidx2/Shaman/DPriest
    DPS: Lock/Mage/Rogue/Hunter/Ret

    If your Blood DK won't sit then you'd probably have to 2-tank it - which I think is a waste. You could probably swap the Shadow Priest in for something - we don't have one so I'm not too familiar with them.

    Log of our first kill with almost the exact same setup (We had a Holy Paladin instead of a 2nd Resto Druid and a Brewmaster instead of a Prot Paladin)
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-te...=12218&e=12724

    Three healers is doable but I think that 4 is definitely superior - especially for learning. It will also be easier to push stacks to 28/29 in each screech phase so you can make sure you have 3 minute rotations - which will be easier to repeat. It also helps a lot with dispels and keeping people topped in the kite phases where people can end up pretty spread out.
    Ok, our GM is going to go on his alt 553 R Sham. This is what we're looking like so far:

    Tank: Prot Pal (I'm guessing he should be going EF / LH?)
    Healers: R sham/R sham/R dru/Disc
    DPS: Lock/Hunter

    What 3 DPS now out of the following: Ret/rogue/mage/boom/spriest.

    With 4 healers should we aim to take it up to 25-30? Evrelia's vid said 10m take it around like 20-24.

  3. #43
    Our shadow priest did the worst out of our dpsers atleast. Take the rogue and mage i would say, not sure about boomie/ret, an extra AM is pretty big. We took around 27 stacks with 3 healers, but only in the first p1. Take as many as you can but try to get far into the fight aswell, it dies faster than you think.

  4. #44
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,639
    AoE damage is very important. If it sucks the bat phase is going to be awful for you and you're either going to have deaths or transition incredibly early. All of which aren't that ideal because it pushes you into a potential longer fire phase if your DPS isn't there, and honestly the fire phase is absolute aids.

    We do 25-27 with 3 healers on the first transition and transition whenever it looks sketchy after the bats die. We only have 1 raid CD available to us on the bat phase and the acid phase is just brutal for damage anyways considering the poison, shock collar and bat AoE going on. So we transition out early, usually 11-16 stacks depending on healing goes.

    Poison kite phase is extremely dangerous. Use immunities and anything to dispel if you find yourself out of range. The shock pulse thing when you're kiting with a debuff is probably going to kill you.

    Frost phase is RNG but it's pretty easy. All CDs should be up for this, but we end up playing it safe and just use our P1 CD rotation accelerated by 2 stacks. So if someone used a CD at 10 stacks they use it at 8 now.

    If you only have one melee DPS you can probably ignore swapping phases when you finish the frost phase if the boss is below 15%. Anything higher and it's way too sketchy and you should probably just play it safe. When we do fire phase we try to transition after 4 stacks of acceleration as damage gets sketchy and nobody is stacked initially (loosely spread) do to fire aids on the ground.

    I didn't know a lot of people 4 heal single tanked it (with a prot paladin anyways). 2 tanks really isn't that bad and your OT is still going to contribute 200k+ DPS. I would probably only 4 heal if I had 2 healers that can contribute to DPS. Regardless of what you do you probably don't want to plan around being in the fire phase for long, because that phase fucking sucks.

    The yeti is largely ignorable with proper frost phase positioning. Most first kills are probably going to have to do a full kite after the frost phase and a partial one or a full one after the fire phase. You will probably have deaths to people forgetting about the yeti, so make sure to yell at people. The yeti basically one shots for all intent and purpose if you aren't a tank, and it's fairly easy for people to forget when they are doing a kiting strategy that's set in stone. This is especially true if you have to kite him after a fire phase. Watching out for the yeti while frantically trying to kill the boss, but being careful not to tunnel because of fire dropping underneath of you can be really stressful.
    Last edited by Tojara; 2013-10-24 at 07:08 AM.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Did they remove the vengeance cap?

    i was astonished as well as i first noticed it on malkorok hc when solo tanking blood rage, but i thought it hat something to do with the extra shield maybe , but on thok it was clear that they never implemented the discussed cap (30% of hp and i am sitting buffed a tad below 1 million health so my cap would be around 300k)and nerfed vengeance generation instead. My highest vengeance i got was 930 k on thok around 28 screeches in the first phase.
    Last edited by kuroma; 2013-10-24 at 09:16 AM.

  6. #46
    In 10 man at least Thok will pick one of the 2 furthest away players, or at least that's what we think he does. We have our healers kiting the first kite for more boss dps. We have our dps kiting for the first part of poison so we get more dispels and then have a healer run down the hall so he can keep himself up. We open the gate when he is 1/5 of the way running back up. Do it a little earlier for frost. Also, you can make the whole thing take 3 minutes+ from acceleration 1 to the next acceleration 1 if you go up to 25+ stacks and kite long enough so all your cooldowns line up exactly the same. The bats are stunnable, when they get to sub 25% hp just stun them and they won't aoe.

    EDIT: THERE IS A MAXIMUM RANGE

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Keashaa View Post
    Hi there,

    currently progressing on that fight, there are a few questions I'd need your advice for...

    - how can we prevent double fixate?
    - why is everyone doing acid phase first? are the bats tied to acid phase or will they spawn after the first transition every try?
    - is it worth transitioning into fire phase or kite the boss until death / enrage on third kiting phase?

    Thanks a lot in advance
    Keashaa
    1. You can control it somewhat. if people are further away from Thok than the current kiter when he swaps target, then he should pick one of them.

    2. Bats are tied to the poison cage. Reason you take that first, is because it's the easiest to deal with. If you have a priest you can mass dispel the dots from both groups, just wait til you get 4 or so. If you have a priest and boomkin you can use symbiosis for more mass dispels. When you're in the kite phase with poisons, always make sure you have a healer running with the melee so he can dispel them, and always keep hots on people who are kiting.

    3. Not sure. We had no issues with the damage on boss. We killed him pretty early in the kitephase leading to fire cage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplexity View Post
    Ok, our GM is going to go on his alt 553 R Sham. This is what we're looking like so far:

    Tank: Prot Pal (I'm guessing he should be going EF / LH?)
    Healers: R sham/R sham/R dru/Disc
    DPS: Lock/Hunter

    What 3 DPS now out of the following: Ret/rogue/mage/boom/spriest.

    With 4 healers should we aim to take it up to 25-30? Evrelia's vid said 10m take it around like 20-24.
    I'd go with rogue, ret and boomkin. ret is really really good on this fight. with your prot pala, you can chain devotion auras, and also bop 2 casters/healers per phase if both picks clemency. If done correctly, you can make 2 casters interrupt immune for 22 seconds per screech phase. I'd say boomkins are among the strongest casters on this fight also. Plus you can get two mass dispels with a boomkin and a disc, which you will have in that case.

    And yes, I would aim for 25-30. Then you make sure that 3 min cooldowns will be ready for every stationary phase.
    Last edited by Proberly; 2013-10-24 at 10:17 AM.

  8. #48
    What do you think is the best kiting tactic for phase 2?

    Atm we use: 1 healer at entrance and 1 healer at the opposite side of the room to attract Thok (I know it's not guaranteed) and 1 healer in the middle to heal people who take the random damage.

    The issue is that when dpsers chase Thok they get out of range of the middle healer and die due to dot damage. The other issue is that even though this tactic should be the best in terms of kiting time, we still have people dying at 11-13 stacks due to Thok gaining distance on them even with rocket boots or stampeding roar.

    I admire the other tactic where the raid stacks in middle and kites Thok around the edges, but I don't understand how Thok doesn't manage to catch up on them when the distance is even smaller than our current tactic.
    Last edited by Kathos; 2013-10-25 at 07:02 AM.

  9. #49
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,639
    We stack in the middle. First 3 go around the edge of the room, the 4th goes towards spoils and the fifth goes back towards his starting position. As long as you don't have a shitty reaction time you don't even need speed boosts on the first two fixates. The third person needs help typically and is really the only dangerous one IMO. That's where personal speed boosts or priest feathers make a big difference.

    Since most of the raid is in the middle everybody else should be max range from Thok when he picks the fourth person, so you don't even need a speed boost as long as you start running as soon as he picks you. He will catch the fifth person, but that's why we unlock the cage when he is about 2/3 done the cast of his fourth fixate. This also has the benefit of putting him in a good position to easily slot into where he was being tanked in P1 with minimal tank movement.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathos View Post
    What do you think is the best kiting tactic for phase 2?

    Atm we use: 1 healer at entrance and 1 healer at the opposite side of the room to attract Thok (I know it's not guaranteed) and 1 healer in the middle to heal people who take the random damage.

    The issue is that when dpsers chase Thok they get out of range of the middle healer and die due to dot damage. The other issue is that even though this tactic should be the best in terms of kiting time, we still have people dying at 11-13 stacks due to Thok gaining distance on them even with rocket boots or stampeding roar.

    I admire the other tactic where the raid stacks in middle and kites Thok around the edges, but I don't understand how Thok doesn't manage to catch up on them when the distance is even smaller than our current tactic.
    if you have 1 healer each at the end of the room the damage in poison kite phase and frost kite phase will rape your dps faster than you can say WTF. I don't agree with that tactic at all.



    Here's our kite phase. If you don't have a warlock that's fine, we basically only use portal for kiter nr 4 and 5. And i drew it so you'd see how we do it without portals. Melee will chase boss until kiter 4 starts, then will stand with the rest of the raid, killing jailer or afk dancing, and sometimes trying to guide thok into chasing them.
    Our whole raid sticks together and runs either towards the bridge or the end of the round room, depending on which side thok is on when hes picking a new target. You need to be far ahead at the later kites, before he even swaps. I can add our kill vid aswell.

    Last edited by Proberly; 2013-10-25 at 11:05 AM.

  11. #51
    Thanks for the elaborate response! I think your tactic is very good, I also like the fact that it allows you to stay in p2 until 16ish stacks. We have a Warlock in the raid so portals are available. We indeed have 1 healer at both ends of the room in poison phase, never made it to the frost phase.

    1) Do you have people preassigned to take 5, 6 and 7?
    2) Does the person who kites 5 stay there for 7?
    2) Are 3,4,5 doable without stampeding roar/feather?
    3) I'm not sure what you mean with kiter 4 taking a portal, doesn't that bring him to a different place then indicated by the picture?

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathos View Post
    Thanks for the elaborate response! I think your tactic is very good, I also like the fact that it allows you to stay in p2 until 16ish stacks. We have a Warlock in the raid so portals are available. We indeed have 1 healer at both ends of the room in poison phase, never made it to the frost phase.

    1) Do you have people preassigned to take 5, 6 and 7?
    2) Does the person who kites 5 stay there for 7?
    2) Are 3,4,5 doable without stampeding roar/feather?
    3) I'm not sure what you mean with kiter 4 taking a portal, doesn't that bring him to a different place then indicated by the picture?
    1. No we don't have anyone preassigned for anything. Sometimes someone will take initiative to move furthest away from boss to have a higher chanse of becoming targeted, but that's it.
    2. No, he has time to move into the rest of the raid, as they will all move down towards that side for 7.
    3. 4 and onwards need some kind of speed increase. We usually have feathers on the ground from our priest in the path that the kiter will run.
    4. Sorry, it's kiter 5 who can take the portal, instead of already being down with the rest, he can run to the portal instead. The boss will always end up at picking a new target at the same spot though, it doesn't change the destination of the kite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •