Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mouse clicking tank looking for reformation

If there is a thread for this I am sorry, I didn't see it.

Here's the thing, since I started playing WoW I have been a mouse-clicker. In fact, every game I play I change the settings so I don't have to use the keyboard. Lazy? Yes, more than likely.

I KNOW THIS IS BAD! So please, don't kick me in the teeth here.

Despite this, I do fairly well. But I know I can be doing better! So I am asking you, the DK tanking community, in all your wisdom, to offer me some assistance. I want to transition away from being a clicker!

So I need to know, what keybindings are used, what macros, etc, etc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I can't imagine you would need my gear, but just incase here is a link to wow-heroes.com

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...rs/Wrathnruin/

Thank you all in advance.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would highly suggest:

1) Re-roll and probably re-roll a dk on the opposite faction.
    2) Start using the E, S, F keys for movement.
    3) Bind essential macros to Q, W, R, T, A, G, Z, X, C, V, 1 - 6.

Get used to the above as you level and then start to make changes as you feel more comfortable. It'll feel wonky I'm sure at first but without a few days you'll be thanking yourself that you took the time and patience to make the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Psynyx View Post
    I would highly suggest:

Get used to the above as you level and then start to make changes as you feel more comfortable. It'll feel wonky I'm sure at first but without a few days you'll be thanking yourself that you took the time and patience to make the change.
    I use something similar. Except I use Shift for ALL my cooldowns, so I don't accidentally fat finger. Which is something I would recommend, and like to add.

I just bought a Razer Naga the mouse that has buttons on the side and use those for 1-9. My specials and Cooldowns are on F1-F5'ish and I am a keyboard turner. I don;t PvP and for PvE even with 300msec lag I can at most times dodge stuff

Nothing wrong with clicking abilities. Especially in PvE. I've been clicking for years and my raiding guild clears normal modes/starts on heroics. My clicking doesn't impact their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by palthis View Post
    I just bought a Razer Naga the mouse that has buttons on the side and use those for 1-9. My specials and Cooldowns are on F1-F5'ish and I am a keyboard turner. I don;t PvP and for PvE even with 300msec lag I can at most times dodge stuff
    The greatest thing I ever did was buy a Razer Naga.. Not because it is an amazing mouse, but with all of those options I really learned to rely on key binds.. You have 36 easily available key binds.. 1-=, alt+1-=, Ctrl+1-=... Plus I love being able to play with one hand if I want.. Though I am not really a fan of using both mouse buttons for movement..

Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    Nothing wrong with clicking abilities. Especially in PvE. I've been clicking for years and my raiding guild clears normal modes/starts on heroics. My clicking doesn't impact their performance.
    it would in the bigger picture tho if you where ever gonna push for better and faster kills / ranking.
    as it would make you slower moving while maintaining and holding aggro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    I would highly suggest:

I do something fairly similar. Have only Q, W, E for keyboard movement, the rest I do with my mouse. From there I have everything bound to A, S, D, R, T, Y, U, I, 1-8, F1-F8. I also have a 5 button mouse and I have interrupts bound to the back thumb key and HoW bound to the front thumb key, I'm proud to say that I have the fastest interrupt in my guild ^.^. This is a DPS setup mind you so you may need to bind a backpedal key somewhere in that mix, but this works for me.

Good luck with ending the clicking crusade. I went from using the keyboard solely (IE: keyboard turning and using the default binds along with the numpad) at the end of Wrath, and I noticed a 100% increase in my reaction times and DPS after that.

You are 100% incorrect. Keyboard turning and clicking are simply inferior forms of play no matter how you look at it. Your reaction times will be lower, and your DPS will almost always be lower. I speak from experience having gone through the conversion myself.

Kind of hard to do a quick mouse-turn/run when you're clicking on an ability, isn't it?

You could always keyboard turn and run, but that means you'll be standing in that void zone 2-3 seconds longer than you need to be.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-10-14 at 03:50 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Unproven View Post
    it would in the bigger picture tho if you where ever gonna push for better and faster kills / ranking.
    as it would make you slower moving while maintaining and holding aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Kind of hard to do a quick mouse-turn/run when you're clicking on an ability, isn't it?

You could always keyboard turn and run, but that means you'll be standing in that void zone 2-3 seconds longer than you need to me.
    Though I agree lets not turn this into a keybind vs clicker thread. Try to stay on point for the OP please.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathnruin View Post
    If there is a thread for this I am sorry, I didn't see it.

Here's the thing, since I started playing WoW I have been a mouse-clicker. In fact, every game I play I change the settings so I don't have to use the keyboard. Lazy? Yes, more than likely.

I KNOW THIS IS BAD! So please, don't kick me in the teeth here.

Despite this, I do fairly well. But I know I can be doing better! So I am asking you, the DK tanking community, in all your wisdom, to offer me some assistance. I want to transition away from being a clicker!

So I need to know, what keybindings are used, what macros, etc, etc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I can't imagine you would need my gear, but just incase here is a link to wow-heroes.com

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...rs/Wrathnruin/

Thank you all in advance.
    I do not main dk tank but have a couple 90 alt dks and they are both set up to keybind. Dk's have a lot fewer required abilities than Pallys.

The method I chose, and it improved my game play 100% was that I purchased a razer nostromo keypad. This was only step one so bear with me. Also to some extend you could do the very same thing with the number pad on your keyboard but it is just more convenient and ergonomic to purchase the separate keypad.

Once you decide how you are going to proceed as far as the hardware you are going to use get bartender.

Set your bartender up so that the abilities you will be keybinding are set up in the same rows that would coorespond to your keypad/numberpad.

Do some solo stuff to start getting the muscle memory down and then move to a five man and once you are comfortable move to raids.

I made the transition to 100% raid keybinds using the razer nostromo in under two weeks. Once you start to get comfortable you will find yourself looking for ways to set up more and more keybinds utilizing the shift, cntrl, alt keys or equivalent on your numberpad.

One of the big selling factors for me on the nostromo is that I refuse to keyboard turn yet when trying to swap to keybinds mouse turning illuded me. With the nostromo you have a joystick at your left thumb for strafing. All other movement should be done with your mouse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    The greatest thing I ever did was buy a Razer Naga.. Not because it is an amazing mouse, but with all of those options I really learned to rely on key binds.. You have 36 easily available key binds.. 1-=, alt+1-=, Ctrl+1-=... Plus I love being able to play with one hand if I want.. Though I am not really a fan of using both mouse buttons for movement..
    problem with naga is in the buttons you are allowed to assign. it cannot be used with bartender and limits the flexibility in assigning your keybinds.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Yea a lot of people talk crap about seeing me click when I stream. But at the end of the day I can out play any class they may have binded abilities in PvE and PvP.
    I would suggest slowly going into that playstyle. Your brain is trained for one style especially in current content, if you go balls to the wall and keybind everything you might have a mental breakdown as everything all at once is new. It's really what is best for YOU, not what is best for others that makes you a better player. I bind, mouse bind, and click non-essential abilities separate from my actual rotation...but in the end since the majority of my activity is clicked during encounters, i would still say i'm a clicker.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I do not main dk tank but have a couple 90 alt dks and they are both set up to keybind. Dk's have a lot fewer required abilities than Pallys.

The method I chose, and it improved my game play 100% was that I purchased a razer nostromo keypad. This was only step one so bear with me. Also to some extend you could do the very same thing with the number pad on your keyboard but it is just more convenient and ergonomic to purchase the separate keypad.

Once you decide how you are going to proceed as far as the hardware you are going to use get bartender.

Set your bartender up so that the abilities you will be keybinding are set up in the same rows that would coorespond to your keypad/numberpad.

Do some solo stuff to start getting the muscle memory down and then move to a five man and once you are comfortable move to raids.

I made the transition to 100% raid keybinds using the razer nostromo in under two weeks. Once you start to get comfortable you will find yourself looking for ways to set up more and more keybinds utilizing the shift, cntrl, alt keys or equivalent on your numberpad.

One of the big selling factors for me on the nostromo is that I refuse to keyboard turn yet when trying to swap to keybinds mouse turning illuded me. With the nostromo you have a joystick at your left thumb for strafing. All other movement should be done with your mouse.

- - - Updated - - -

problem with naga is in the buttons you are allowed to assign. it cannot be used with bartender and limits the flexibility in assigning your keybinds.
    You can actually. On the bottom of the mouse is a "num" or "123" switch. If you press it to num, then your keybinds will look like "N1, N2, N3 instead of 1,2,3"

Buy a Nostromo and bind everything how you like = win

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Sounds like you have a NUMLOCK issue, because the Naga works just fine with Bartender. I have non-essential/non-rotational abilities bound to the side buttons and have never had any issues with Bartender.

Start small!!!

Bind DS and RS to 1 and 2 on your keyboard. Get used to not clicking those two spells. Then add a third. Then a fourth. Bind it to whatever you want, whatever feels right, but start with just a few abilities and work your way up.

Prot Warrior here - I'm no DK but I understand what it's like to make what can seem like a pretty big leap into the wild world of keybinding. Essentially, you're going to be "flying blind" because you have to trust your fingers are hitting the keys that will keep you alive! I can't help but echo the idea of starting small and then building up from there. Start keybinding a few items, perhaps some of your larger CDs that you won't be using as much? Of course, you can always go the cold turkey strategy and just rebind and then force yourself to play like that for a week in between raids.

You'll find that the ability to have absolute mastery and surety that you can hit all of your critical abilities when needed will not only step up your personal tanking game, but it will give you the confidence to be bolder in encounters, take more chances and ultimately break through to those previously unobtainable levels of performance. Enjoy the ride because once you're a keybinder (even if only partially) you'll be unlocking a lot more of your player potential.

Good luck from one Tank to another!

Deleted
    Clicking makes almost no difference in PvE, only matters in PvP really

Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    Clicking makes almost no difference in PvE, only matters in PvP really
    Almost is still some. some can still make a difference

10+ Year Old Account
    I would highly suggest:

Would like to add that moving wit ESF isn't necessary at all for more keybinds. If anything it makes it harder to press shift/ctrl, tab, caps lock and ` which can all act as keybinds.

I recommend binding stuff at a slow/moderate pace. Like, just bind your let's say death grip on R or any other bind. Go do some dailies and use death grip on every mob you see.

Another method is to just bind every useful ability you got and occasionally think about them/use them while doing dailies. The more you use a bind, the more you'll become accustomed to them. Adjust keybinds when you find a certain bind annoying/hard to reach/difficult to remember.

Could also test on a target dummy instead of doing dailies. I usually test on target dummies myself when altering binds and imagine certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Unproven View Post
    Almost is still some. some can still make a difference
    When a raid turns to hell and starts wiping, that's when that some can make a huge difference. If you've got a healer who clicks their healing CDs and doesn't use mouseover macros, you'll be 100% sure to wipe. If you've got a healer who keybinds and uses mouse over macros and can for example quickly life swap, life grip, guardian angel, life cocoon etc, then you still have a relative chance of killing the boss.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2013-10-15 at 09:34 AM.

Deleted
    A Razer Naga or a Logitech G600 will cure you of clicking - it worked for my missus.