Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Umm... there are superior solutions to a dry cabin. You can easily make a house completely off the grid (no connection to water, sewage, electricity, gas) with existing technology... but that house would still have running water, electricity, heat, plumbing, and everything you might expect anywhere.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

i give one month tops before you give up

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikeydeath View Post
    I have photosensitivity so yeah no desert for me plus I hate heat
    Since you really thought all of this through. Remember there's killer glare from all that snow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    You want a shower in a dry cabin? Is that the bathing equivalency to dry cleaning only?
    They do make a "dry shampoo/body wash" for campers. It's a gel with no water needed. I used it when working hospice on comatose patients.

Apply to hair/body, massage/wash area, dry with a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the big deal about living in a dry cabin for a while, that's called vacation over here! Everyone has one.
    Of course many have gotten fancy cabins, many are even better than their own homes. But that's just sad, and not a proper cabin vacation at all!

Is there a way I can remotely turn on a heater in an outhouse
    I'm sure you could come up with some elaborate mechanism that did this. But without electricity it is going to be difficult. So you probably have to go out and turn it on yourself
    No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes! So get dressed for the cold or whatever and go out there.

Is there a way I can make a shower that isn't a camp shower
    Depends on how fancy you need the shower to be. A camp shower i'm guessing is your best bet if you wan't it more fancy than a bucket of water...

How to get the water ? well if there's a cabin set up in the wilderness, odds are there's a river, stream or well nearby. Heat it if necessary. Bring one of those fancy fire-starter thingy that I have no idea what is called in English. If you can't make a fire with that, you deserve to die, no offence.

Good way to clean the cups ill use for soylent
    Not sure if serious. But water, washing up liquid and/or give it a scrub if needed ? Or use one-time cups and plates that you throw away.

And how crazy do I sound
    Not at all, well apart from the soylent thing. Just sounds very much like a person with no experience at such a place.
    Are you going on a "detox" trip ? :P

I for one would be most worried about the wildlife in Alaska.

10+ Year Old Account
    The money people waste on this sort of insanity boggles my mind. I honestly don't get it. Why not just starve yourself and flush your money down a toilet.

I mean what on earth are you going to accomplish? You'd get more "life experience" out of becoming a Buddhist Monk.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The money people waste on this sort of insanity boggles my mind. I honestly don't get it. Why not just starve yourself and flush your money down a toilet.

I mean what on earth are you going to accomplish? You'd get more "life experience" out of becoming a Buddhist Monk.
    I think most people just want to be able to gloat about a good story, an impressive 'feat of strength' if you will. Buddhist just monk doesn't fill the excitement gap.

Deleted
    Alaska must be nice for hunting... and if Soylent is people, they may eventually make a movie about you and your supertech cabin! You know, once they've sent you upstate, anyway...

Because I want to see if I can...not to gloat...to prove to myself I can live in hell and eat shit, yes I'll have tech but that's so I can have a way to stay mentally sane

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I want to see if I can...not to gloat...to prove to myself I can live in hell and eat shit, yes I'll have tech but that's so I can have a way to stay mentally sane
    For the record, I'm not saying that is your reason. I'd probably do it too under the right circumstances.

Are.. are you the one who knocks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you realize the level of lawlessness that exists in the sparsely populated parts of the world?

There are no witnesses, there aren't cameras watching your every move.....

You leave your camp to go for a walk and come back....and you've been robbed....what are you gonna do? It isn't as if you have home owners insurance out there.

Even worse....winter gets bad and your 'neighbor' ( 5 miles away or something ) decides he doesn't want another person that close, that's why hes up there, so one night you wake up to find out your cabin is burning.......what are you gonna do?

Castle doctrine, armed for self defense....these are things taken very very seriously out in the wilds. People cannot afford not to, there is no 911.

Along that same line of thought. What happens if you get sick? Or hurt? Are you going to Google 'how do I set my own broken ribs and hope they didn't puncture a lung'? What happens when you get strep and it goes bad in 1 day? Email the hospital 100 miles away?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

You seriously want to drink that junk. every. single. meal. for years and years? Do you even know what it tastes like?

I love the idea with the cabin and everything. But the "food" seems so depressing..

10+ Year Old Account
    Then frankly, you're not proving jack. Dump your tech and fancy drinks and go live in a cabin with no power, no running water and see how long you last. Honestly this half-assed stuff is pathetic.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then frankly, you're not proving jack. Dump your tech and fancy drinks and go live in a cabin with no power, no running water and see how long you last. Honestly this half-assed stuff is pathetic.
    Mostly this...

It really just sounds like you are trying to demonstrate your immense anti social leanings as dramatically as possible.

What is the point of having a super hi tech cabin in which you can hide 360 days a year when you can just sit in your house anywhere in a city and do the same thing?

After further consideration, I'm guessing you want to be left alone to do something illegal don't you? I can only imagine the soylent will be terribly unsatisfying when you get the munchies and want to chow down on some hardcore junk food.
    Last edited by Wiyld; 2013-10-15 at 02:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Deleted
    Sounds fun, i'm used to cold, i ride my bike to work when outside temperature is -20C (-4F), so this shouldn't be a problem, but i like warm bath and internet, so i'd live in cabin if it had fast internet with plumbing, also if i had some job (IT) i'd live my whole life there. No problem.

Fuck a cabin, no walls, no clothes, nothing.