Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Who was the teacher you LIKED the most at school?

spinoff of the other thread. this is the positive version.

I had a teacher in 4th grade that would let us cuss in class, as long you didnt cuss at people. She would even talk about sex and stuff it was very interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Miss White (Whyte?) - a Canadian who was my first ever teacher, and my first ever crush.

She had black hair.

Deleted
    I had two.
    Mathematics, actually made me enjoy that little mathematics I did. And was a fair person. One of these people that doesn't judge someone else on appearances. Great woman. Should have been prime minister.

Than I had this literature teacher. IMMENSE amount of knowledge and she looked like a witch. One of those fat ones
    She COULD NOT be outwitted. Loved watching young newcomers thinking they could make fun of her appearance, just to be completely outskilled, outclassed, intellectually humiliated in one single sentence.
    Mad as a fucking brush.

Deleted
    The teachers that got shit done, respected me and was abusive to any kid that tried to interrupt their lessons. so that's my drama teachers and music teachers (maybe my food tech teacher)

Djalil, awww your literature teacher sounds awesome. I would love to have seen some of the takedowns :-D

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by High Priestess Ishanah View Post
    spinoff of the other thread. this is the positive version.
    Depends entirely on what school I was at ofcourse. But best one all-in-all was probably a geography teacher I had, who smoked cigar and had actually been to places all over the world, so he was fun to listen to.
    Everyone looked up to him. He was a Finnish war child, one of the kids that were evacuated to Sweden when Soviet Russia attacked Finland. He had also gone on the entire trans-siberian railway trip. And done a lot of roadtrips as a young man. One of the few teachers that spoke with confidence born out of experience, and that's something teenagers will always respect. That had he was totally badass smoking a cigar.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2013-10-14 at 08:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaneem View Post
    Djalil, awww your literature teacher sounds awesome. I would love to have seen some of the takedowns :-D
    Believe me she was exactly like you're picturing it in your head.
    In class, when some girl was like adjusting her hair on the mirror or silly girly stuff like that () she would point at her, eyes above the glasses just above her nose and shout (didn't shout but she had charisma ) "THIS IS NOT YOUR BUDUOIRE PRIVE!!"
    Obviously leaving the targeted one with a huge question mark.
    I wonder if she's still alive.

My computer science + engineering teachers in high school.

10+ Year Old Account
    My science/physics teacher, which I had for 3 years. Man, what a legend. I also liked my electrical engineering teacher, even though he was like 60 years old. A very wise and helpful man.

But most teachers I had were clueless morons, lol.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm...

I've probably had two and they were both literature/finish language teachers in High School / College.

They were just so... nice. Even the worst troublemakers acted like proper students in their classes just because they liked her/him so much. They were very fun and yet very strict teachers at the same time.... And very supportive!

I still say hi and have a chat with them whenever I see them even after all these years :P

Deleted
    My science teacher is the only one i miss, had loads of banter between him and the class, it was great, and he could teach :P

15+ Year Old Account
    I had a hot teacher in Grade 7, had a wicked crush on her - hard but fair, late 20's, pixie cut, perky boobs, no bra

Beyond that I had a grade 10 teacher who encouraged my interest in poetry at the time, assigned me additional readings - worked with me after hours to critique my work - went well above the call: but mostly it was just that he was enthusiastic

During my general arts degree I had an Ethics 100 teacher who got me so into philosophy I did a degree in it - which turned out to be an ineffective career path, but I don't regret it in the slightest
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    My 6th grade teacher Mr. Jones. He was the only one that had microscopes, and the only one that had multiple computers in the class. (This was close to 20 years ago.) Had also snakes, birds and lizards aquariums set up in the room that you could always play and hold. On top of that every Friday he had a BBQ for the student sin his class all year round. Was only hamburgers and hotdogs but still better than the school's lunch.

Or my highschool AP physics teacher Mr. Jacobs just because he was so smart and knew way too much and he called me an idiot in front of the entire class. Even though I was the only student in 2 years to ace his class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mr Balcombe without a doubt.

He was my Geography teacher in high school.
    He had one corner of his room decorated like a summer island. A huge paper machiet palm tree that he made, a deck chair, sand with a bucket and spade and he would go sit there with his flowery shirt on and shades while we did work playing seaside noises on a radio. He said it was his happy place to get away from us all

Sometimes halfway through he would just burst into song and we would look up and he'd have his huge elvis wig on at the front of the class singing into his microphone.

I recall that a lot of his lessons were very serious and he made sure we got work done, but in a fun way. Every term he would have a new theme in his 'happy corner' and he would tell jokes quite often. I appsolutely hated the subject of Geography but his classes were awesome.
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Ms. Ward- My Psychology/Sociology/Social Psychology teacher was tons of fun and always waited for you to finish writing notes on a powerpoint slide before continuing.

Mr. Brunett- my British Litterature teacher because it was always fun listening to his lectures- he just had that personality.

Michael Dukakis. He's my professor this semester and he's the nicest (and best) professor I've ever had. He's not your typical high-profile professor who spends all of his time writing books and going on speech-tours. He doesn't even have a TA for the class. He has office hours from 9 AM to 5 PM every day and offers to help every single person find an internship in any way he can on the first day of class.

My english teach in grade 10; he is incredibly smart, sometimes it would seem as if he knew everything. I remember a student played a questionnaire app on his phone for the class; the questions were so random, nobody could answer any of them except for the teacher who answered all of them off of the top of his head. Needless to say the whole class was in shock, it was truly spectacular to witness. This teacher was also ridiculously funny; sometimes he would give a 1 - 2 hour lecture on something that wasn't particularly interesting, but he would put his own spin on it to add humor and make it an enjoyable experience.

Besides that, I had a Jamaican math teacher in college who was absolutely hilarious.
    Also the teacher for my Ontario Electrical Safety Code course seemed as if he had the whole thing memorized which was really something to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    I had a teacher in 4th grade that would let us cuss in class, as long you didnt cuss at people. She would even talk about sex and stuff it was very interesting.

A teacher that would let 9 and 10 year olds cuss is far from a good teacher. That is a lazy teacher that is one of the many issues with education now.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Mr Cumberland, History and Geography teacher, as well as coach of several of the High School teams I think (I know he coached Soft Ball, I think he might've coached soccer and football). He looked like a bear. He was kind to everyone, he wasn't uptight or strict, he had a sense of humor. Every student liked him, as far as I could tell, and that's pretty unusual.

He named one of the doodles I absently drew on one of my quizzes - I hadn't realized what I'd done until I got the quiz back and he'd written an amused notation and name beside the doodle. I was embarrassed and amused, but mostly amused.

He was dealing with a really crappy situation. He was married, with a son and a daughter. His wife had some chronic, incurable disease (I don't remember what it was, but involved expensive pills and syringes on a daily basis), his son needed a bone marrow transplant (which he got from his father) during my years as his student, and by the time I'd graduated Mr Cumberland himself had been diagnosed with Diabetes. His middle school (6-8th grade) daughter was the only family member in good health by the time I graduated. This isn't stuff that was talked about in class or in school, but I lived in a relatively small community at that point and things just sort of got around if you were old enough to pay attention. Rumors of his monthly medical expenses were horrifying.

Yet he managed to be a good teacher to every student that crossed his path. He didn't play favorites, even with the athletes on his teams. He didn't have a habit of exhibiting his stresses at his students. No one I knew ever had anything bad to say about him. He was a role model to everyone. An unusual guy. A good guy.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig