Thread: Dumb question

Dumb question

Hello hunters!

I have a quick question about Hunter's Mark.

Now I know you should put this on before the pull but i am not quite 90 yet (82 actually) so dps isnt so serious business yet. But my question is for target swapping should you waste a gcd to apply it? I would think that since explosive shot's cd is so low, that you would let it apply it, or even an arcane shot.

The thing with arcane shot is I do not understand how it calculates damage. I was sitting at the training dummy and doing two tests, firing an arcane shot without hunters mark on it, and one with a hunter's mark already applied and the two results were the same. Is arcane shot's damage all around static?

Edit: I know that arcane shot applies hunter's mark automatically, but is arcane shot programmed so that it hits the target always as if a hunter's target is always on?

Thanks.
    Last edited by lolbubble; 2013-10-22 at 07:58 PM. Reason: clarification

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    it should be be baked into the shots and apply automatically during travel time, and the shot should be benefiting from the mark without manually applying it first.

There's no harm in doing it before the pull happens, but you shouldn't waste the gcd when target swapping since it's applied by Arcane Shot.

I think mechanically the way it works is that the Mark is applied as soon as you cast Arcane Shot, but the Arcane Shot damage isn't applied until the projectile actually hits the mob. Hence, Arcane Shot benefits from the mark that it applies.

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    There's no harm in doing it before the pull happens, but you shouldn't waste the gcd when target swapping since it's applied by Arcane Shot.

I think mechanically the way it works is that the Mark is applied as soon as you cast Arcane Shot, but the Arcane Shot damage isn't applied until the projectile actually hits the mob. Hence, Arcane Shot benefits from the mark that it applies.
    Thank you! Also another question I have would be is that do dots update dynamically after hunter's mark is applied? For example, if I apply serpent sting before hunter's mark is put on, then I do an arc or explosive shot, will the serp sting dot update to reflect the applied hunter's mark or would I have to re serp sting?

Serpent's Sting is snapshotted before the HM, but it will refresh every time you Cobra Shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolbubble View Post
    Hello hunters!

I have a quick question about Hunter's Mark.

Now I know you should put this on before the pull but i am not quite 90 yet (82 actually) so dps isnt so serious business yet. But my question is for target swapping should you waste a gcd to apply it? I would think that since explosive shot's cd is so low, that you would let it apply it, or even an arcane shot.

The thing with arcane shot is I do not understand how it calculates damage. I was sitting at the training dummy and doing two tests, firing an arcane shot without hunters mark on it, and one with a hunter's mark already applied and the two results were the same. Is arcane shot's damage all around static?

Edit: I know that arcane shot applies hunter's mark automatically, but is arcane shot programmed so that it hits the target always as if a hunter's target is always on?

Thanks.
    dumb questions are all that are on this site, no need to title it as such, mmo is for dumb questions and for those who cant find answers for themselves
    as far as answers you might get one correct one out of 50 replies
    the rest are incorrect or opinions of what they perceive as fact but are indeed wrong

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    dumb questions are all that are on this site, no need to title it as such, mmo is for dumb questions and for those who cant find answers for themselves
    as far as answers you might get one correct one out of 50 replies
    the rest are incorrect or opinions of what they perceive as fact but are indeed wrong
    That's funny, because most/all of the posts above yours were correct answers. Stop trying to troll the dude.

I was so stoked when they rolled HM into Arcane shot. So many times I'd forget to toss HM out lol. I'm usually against homogenization and compounding of abilities, etc, but this was one I really fell in love with. I sometimes wished they'd just do away with HM and make it a buff. I also loved when HM affected melee damage, too :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arcane Shot, Chimera Shot, Kill Command, and Explosive Shot automatically apply Hunter's Mark.
    from the tooltip