Xbox One and Kinect

No, this isn't going to be one of those XBOX IS BETTER THAN PLAYSTATION posts. I know what I'm buying, and I know why.

But I was thinking about Xbox One and it's requirement to have Kinect (to be sold together) to even switch on, but I was wondering about voice-activation. You can turn that off, right? Because this might lead to a rise in PS4s later in the year if you can't.

We all know that not all parents and partners understand the appeal of games, or when games can and cannot be paused. Some partners and parents do, however, and that's great, but not all. So how long will it be before the ones who don't quite get it - disgruntled psycho girlfriends and too demanding parents - realise that by saying 'Xbox Off' they will switch the machine off? I'm sure you have to say it in a controlled sort of way, no screaming at the top of your lungs, and it probably wouldn't recognise speech from within the machine (ie people online with headsets suddenly shouting XBOX OFF and switching everyone's consoles off), but I'm sure it'll be realised eventually.

I started thinking about this because of the sheer amount of pictures I've seen across the web of GTA5 discs being broken in half by jealous girlfriends, and how easy it would be to just look up from across the room and saying "xbox off" loud and clear.

If you can't turn voice activation off, I can't help wondering if it's going to result in deaths.

Shyama

Book One of The Devoted Trilogy: The Zi'veyn
    Etsy Shop: Wildlife & Gamer Jewellery

1) Goes in the Video Game section
    2) If you have the urge to kill someone because they turned your console off, you should probably seek help
    3) Yes, all Kinect stuff can be disabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeaye View Post
    We all know that not all parents and partners understand the appeal of games, or when games can and cannot be paused. Some partners and parents do, however, and that's great, but not all. So how long will it be before the ones who don't quite get it - disgruntled psycho girlfriends and too demanding parents - realise that by saying 'Xbox Off' they will switch the machine off? I'm sure you have to say it in a controlled sort of way, no screaming at the top of your lungs, and it probably wouldn't recognise speech from within the machine (ie people online with headsets suddenly shouting XBOX OFF and switching everyone's consoles off), but I'm sure it'll be realised eventually.
    Some gamers also dont realize when they should stop playing a game. I cant wait for someone I know to get a new Xbox now so I can try this out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Was a tweet by someone from insomniac saying it was old that somebody kept saying xbox off over the intercom which made all of them turn off. Let the shitfest begin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daeaye View Post
    I started thinking about this because of the sheer amount of pictures I've seen across the web of GTA5 discs being broken in half by jealous girlfriends, and how easy it would be to just look up from across the room and saying "xbox off" loud and clear.
    Ahah ! Steam wins again

You can turn it off tho i'm sure.

I don´t really see theese things as such a big deal. A real reason to "fear" kinect 2.0 is it´s possibilities to give a nauseating amount of marketing information to companies and private information to agencies like NSA, should it succeed.