Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Thought that was YOLO.
    No, thats just what they instinctively scream while doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawati View Post
    America, land of the free
    Nobody is truly free. Not even Americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Nobody is truly free. Not even Americans.
    Specially not Americans here you are a slave to money and as disposable as a cue-tip to your employer unless they are underpaying you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Freedom to go wherever I want, and do what I want in times when I am not at work earning my living.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

freedom is being emancipated from every shackle - be it other people, your own mind, your own body, or nature itself.

Doing and thinking what I want. My choices decide how my life is, not someone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Freedom is something that doesn't exist, a buzzword fabricated to delude the masses

Really interesting topic. "I find that 'freedom' often means different things to different people.", you are absolutely right in your finding. Almost every person has his/her own definition of freedom. To me freedom means the opportunity of doing whatever I like without being a snatcher of the freedom of other persons.

Freedom means not living in fear.

Freedom is learning whats around you, for example, I can not play the piano...but if I study, my freedom has expanded and I can do more things.
    the less we study and learn, the more barriers we put around the freedom we have.

To me, freedom only happens when we have no obligations or responsibilities we don't want. In other words, it doesn't exist except perhaps for a lucky, super rich lottery winner who doesn't have kids or anything to deal with.

"The state in which a man is not subject to coercion by the arbitrary will of another or others" FA Hayek

Basically, being able to do whatever you want, while respecting the fundamental rights (life, liberty, property and pursuit of happiness) of others and also while taking responsibility for your actions. Coercion (not arbitrary coercion) is needed to ensure that people do take responsibility for their actions, without responsibility freedom can't be attained.

I just compressed a whole semester of Social Philosophy (Hayek, Classical Liberalism) into a few sentences.

Living in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    freedom is being emancipated from every shackle - be it other people, your own mind, your own body, or nature itself.
    I think freedom is well defined in the above quote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Freedom is something that doesn't exist, a buzzword fabricated to delude the masses
    Really unconventional and unconforming comment though there is method(sense, reason, rationality) in it!

Deleted
    The definition of freedom is what freedom is to me.

Freeeeeeeeedommmm is Mel Gibson in a kilt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Freedom means whatever Obama tells me it means.

(am I doing it right?)
    you're doing it right citizen!
    thank you for being an amazing member of society, further details being sent!
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Freeeeeeeeedommmm is Mel Gibson in a kilt.
    He can't shoot lightning out of his ass, I'm not impressed.

Freedom is being able to do what you want, when you want, how you want. Of course most 'freedoms' that people want intrude on the freedoms of other people.

If you want actual freedom, we need to move past resource scarcity, which might be a little while here...
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

The ability to purchase sex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Freedom is unrestricted liberty - i.e. the state of nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.