Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    But do you really think doing the item squish every other tier is a better alternative? If I implemented a fix I'd want it to be one and done not do this every few months/year, especially if it is likely they will screw it up. Think of it like maintenance on Tues. First it started as a full day and is now generally down to 15 minutes. Sure after a while they'll get better at the squish but do you want to suffer through them learning it?
    You yourself indicated that Blizzard had said this would need to be done every few expansions.

Expansions. Theorize every three expansions and it's 3-5 years.

Then you say "every other tier" or "every few months/year".

Why should I take anything you say seriously if you're willing to exaggerate like this?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Last night, while you were asleep, everything in the universe shrunk to half size in order to please the raging blind masses that are incapable of understanding numbers larger than they can count to and to address "hardware limitations" that don't exist, only to end up creating a talking nexus that's been plaguing this forum since the people who suggested it thought it was a good idea to go forward with one choice only to back out later and attempt to fall on the other.

I tried really hard to keep the reverse of what you said in context, sadly I failed.
    maybe the worst post i've ever read on mmo champion.

if it doesn't change anything but the numbers i see on my screen.. why does it even matter then?
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't even need a squish. WoW will stop coming out with expansions before numbers get big enough to cause lag.

Not only chars are getting weakened, everything is. You're making it seem like the only thing getting squished is players

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I AM a programmer, and I'm quite prepared to believe that updating the datatypes in the server, client, database, and auxiliary software, from 32 to 64 bits, could be expensive and fraught with risk. And I'm prepared to believe Blizzard when they decide it wasn't the right thing to do.
    I am programmer too. One that deals with highload and big numbers on daily basis. And I'm prepared to believe that Blizzard's programmers are just lazy: why do work when we can just offload "squishing HP/stats" to game designers? Please remember one thing: whatever good sides WoW were ever praised for, it was NEVER good programming and effective algorithms able to support many queries.

Hell, a queue of 1000 players takes HOURS to pass. Are you seriously, with straight face can say that it is not fucking stupid programming? 1 battle with 100 participants halts entire zone, while 100 battles with 1 doesn't - a PLAIN sign that somewhere in it they use good ol' retarded O(n^m) algorithms. After dealing for software that needs to serve about 30000 queries per SECOND, while taking in account about 100k different objects and respond back in no more than 20ms, I feel I just don't have ability to believe that WoW's internals are anything but slow, ineffective, pathetic parody of code.

From those you've listed, server update is probably the most complex. The rest is piss easy.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You yourself indicated that Blizzard had said this would need to be done every few expansions.

Expansions. Theorize every three expansions and it's 3-5 years.

Then you say "every other tier" or "every few months/year".

Why should I take anything you say seriously if you're willing to exaggerate like this?
    Honestly I'm not sure how much it'll need to occur. The fact of the matter is each tier our power has grown exponentially as has been shown in this thread. Additionally Blizz says they want it to stay that way. So that means that each time a squish occurs it'll need to occur faster the next time due to exponential growth. This first time it took 7 years but nobody knows what'll it be next time or the time after. But if you don't want to take anything I say seriously that's your choice and doesn't really affect me one or the other honestly.

Edit: The above posted started and ended with the word honestly. Take that!

Signature Created by Jassinta

I think stat squish is very necessary. DPS numbers are too huge, and in some ways it has affected class tuning. The amount of variation just in the DPS numbers on most fights my guild does is frightening. These bosses are tuned for 150k minimum dps, while I'm doing 230-250k. Normal mode SoO is a cake walk-- and would be even easier if the rest of my guild dps performed at gear level for their spec (which they don't... ele sham carry lol). I think once we can get back to real numbers, not only will bosses be more appropriately tuned, but it will be easier to discern quality players. Right now guilds see 150k dps, 560ilvl with 4 piece and think oh that's great, yet in reality that's horrible. Yet its sufficient for kills.

Quote Originally Posted by McLockhart View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. To me its hard to relate to a DPS'er doing 300k DPS or a tank having a million HP.

I simply can't relate to the huge numbers anymore. I no longer care if I crit 500k or 501k with my Chaos Bolt or if I have 700k or 705k HP with my tank. It simply gets lost in the context and I hope we'll get down to reasonable numbers, such as the ones in vanilla or TBC.

Edit: Most biased poll ever and doesn't relate to item squish.
    Perfectly expressed, fully agree.

Definitely necessary for the squish. Huge numbers seems irrevelent and fine tuning of dps numbers seems to have gone by the way side.

Not even voting because stat squish doesn't weaken anything. It just adjusts every number in the game. You will be just as effective as you are now -- you just won't see such big numbers on the screen.

Deleted
    Erm... Item squish doesn't make you any stronger or weaker.

Much prefer the big numbers and wish it continued personally. Especially HP on my tank toons!

This poll does not accurately describe what the stat squish will do. Our characters will not be weakened at all and has absolutely nothing to do with their overall power.

Deleted
    This poll does not accurately describe what the stat squish will do. Our characters will not be weakened at all and has absolutely nothing to do with their overall power.
    Oh yes it does , and the original poster understand it .

You , on the other hand , you have absolutely no ideea what a squish is .

You just keep all coming and explaining how the MEGADAMAGE solution won't change anything.
    The MEGADAMAGE don't change anything, but the SQUISH will make you weaker.

The MEGADAMAGE is not SQUISH guys . Cuting the same % from everything is Megadamage solution not squish.

Quote Originally Posted by vandam View Post
    You just keep all coming and explaining how the MEGADAMAGE solution won't change anything.
    The MEGADAMAGE don't change anything, but the SQUISH will make you weaker.
    Squish makes you weaker against previous expansion non-instanced mobs. However, you will still be stronger against them than you were at that level. That means that except for world bosses, there's not much effect.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    The squish needs to happen, period.

The game won't change but I like the idea of looking at bigger numbers than before, for purely aesthetic reasons.

The math won't change for me, nor will the min/maxing, just because the values are different.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Biased post is biased. I clearly prefer my characters getting stronger, but that's going to happen regardless of what the numbers tell me. I voted it doesn't matter since the choices were awful. Squish won't affect my character power or else it would be a disaster for the game. Until that time, I'm simply not concerned.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Biased post is biased. I clearly prefer my characters getting stronger, but that's going to happen regardless of what the numbers tell me. I voted it doesn't matter since the choices were awful. Squish won't affect my character power or else it would be a disaster for the game. Until that time, I'm simply not concerned.
    Squish will affect your character power as has been posted in this thread many times. It just goes to show that you haven't read anything in this thread except the poll then thought you'd come in and post your 2 cents.

Signature Created by Jassinta

This is quite possibly the most biased poll in the world. I 110% support the stat squish but I had to pick "don't care" because I don't prefer my characters getting weaker at all. With the stat squish THEY WON'T BE getting any weaker. I hate how people fail to understand the concept that your character has not been getting exponentially stronger as the next expansion comes. Yes your toon has probably gotten stronger by fighting against certain enemies but gear and leveling are NOT a part of this curve. Those are only there for gameplay reasons. It would be silly if a level 60 could walk into a level 90 raid with their level 60 MC gear and be exactly on par with everybody else. That is literally the only reason Blizzard allows gear to increase stats and exponential stat growth from leveling.

Honestly, whether or not the stat squish comes, I'd say that our characters are now stronger than they ever have been simply because of the lessons we all learned in this expansion. Truly our world has become more unified than ever before not only inside each faction alone, but both factions together. Our characters learned what inner strength meant and how doing the right thing is greater than the need for personal gain. We learned how to fight against our unnecessary violence, hatred, and anger for peace, how to force our doubt and despair into submission in order for hope to grow, how to look our fear straight in the eyes and come out triumphant with courage, and, most importantly, how to set aside our pride in order to do what is right for the world as a whole. We have transcended from ourselves into beings of purity and with that power I feel like I have gained so much more than what I can obtain from gear or leveling.