Thread: Computer Build

Computer Build

Getting a new pc built.

1 x Item: ASUS P9X79 Intel X79 ATX Quad Channel LGA2011 Motherboard.
    1 x Item: Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 4820K 3.7Ghz 10MB LGA2011 w/$25.00 Hawken Game Code.
    1 x Item: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler.
    2 x Item: Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 (KHX18C10T2K2/16X).
    1 x Item: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB 2.5" SATA3 7mm SSD (MKNSSDCR120GB-DX7).
    1 x Item: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" SATA3 7mm SSD (MKNSSDCR240GB-DX7).
    1 x Item: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA3.
    1 x Item: Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 (11221-00-20G).
    1 x Item: ASUS DRW-24D3ST Green DVD Writer SATA.
    1 x Item: CoolerMaster V-Series V850 850W Full Modular Power Supply 80PLUS Gold.
    1 x Item: NZXT Switch 810 Hybrid Full Tower Case - Gun Metal.
    1 x Item: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit (Full Version) - OEM.
    1 x Item: Standard Hardware Installation + 2yr RTB Warranty + OS Configuration.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    Getting a new pc built.

1 x Item: Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 4820K 3.7Ghz 10MB LGA2011 w/$25.00 Hawken Game Code.
    2 x Item: Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 (KHX18C10T2K2/16X).
    1 x Item: ASUS DRW-24D3ST Green DVD Writer SATA.
    1 x Item: CoolerMaster V-Series V850 850W Full Modular Power Supply 80PLUS Gold.
    1 x Item: NZXT Switch 810 Hybrid Full Tower Case - Gun Metal.

Thoughts?
    What are you doing with it(what games are you playing)? What is your budget? How much is that build costing you and where is it coming from?

Honestly, I see money being wasted all over the place (SSD's, Memory, HDD, GPU[why get a 280x when a 290x is coming and if you spending this kinda money, why not get it?], PSU, case, cooler, CPU).
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I'm curious why you see 'money wasted' and then you mention every component of the system.
    Why are these components a waste?

I am getting the 280 because the 290 is not available yet and I do not wish to wait.

My budget is whatever I want to spend really, this system is costing me around 3k and it's not only to play games on.

So please don't make a statement that something is a waste without saying why it is a waste.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious why you see 'money wasted' and then you mention every component of the system.
    Top to bottom
    IB-E is a waste in almost every situation
    Sort of opinion but h100i ought to be fine
    8gb is fine
    I dont know why two SSD's. Just get a better, cheaper, single one
    Black HDD with an SSD has no use
    Seriously, if you're spending this kind of money.. wait. Or get the 7990.
    Overkill PSU, and hold not needed
    Pro not needed
    Indicates its prebuilt, so another probably $200 spent. I would build it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Why are these components a waste?

I am getting the 280 because the 290 is not available yet and I do not wish to wait.

My budget is whatever I want to spend really, this system is costing me around 3k and it's not only to play games on.

So please don't make a statement that something is a waste without saying why it is a waste.
    Chazus summed it up pretty well.

Also like to add that just because you have XX set aside to get something does not mean you should spend that much. There is a point where the money you are spending no longer gives you much boost in performance versus it's cost. A really good build(with all the trimmings) will run you about $2k and will be able to play anything you throw at it without flinching. Sure you can spend a bit more and add in some extra bits, sure you can spend alot more and stuff in as much of the best hardware you can find, even if the performance increase is hardly noticeable outside benchmarks while the price is 2-3x as much as comparable hardware.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

I last upgraded my case and cpu when WOTLK released, sure the psu is currently overkill but it's only a little more than the lower spec version and I will be able to keep it for a few upgrades of mb/cpu.

Why is IB-E a waste? again you're making statements without saying why.

The GPU sits at the price point I wanted to spend for one, why is it not good? What won't it do?

For the cooling while it is a little more than might be needed for this system, it will again last a few mb/cpu upgrades for only a few dollars extra.

8gb has not been enough for me before as a photographer that does a lot of photo editing I find I need more memory.

Two SSD's because I like to keep my OS separate.

A black HDD for the extra warranty (5 years vs 2) I've had a green hdd fail just outside the 2 years previously) and dont mind spending a little extra for the warranty and the performance is a bonus with all the photos etc.

The place that's building my system does win pro at the same price as non pro so why not?

Yes it's being pre built, this provides me with a 2 year warranty on the system which is something I am prepared to pay for peace of mind.

sure the psu is currently overkill but it's only a little more than the lower spec version and I will be able to keep it for a few upgrades of mb/cpu.
    It's only "a little more" because it's in a prebuilt, and they overcharge out the ass to being with.

Why is IB-E a waste? again you're making statements without saying why.
    Worse single-core performance than some other chips and it's quite a bit more power hungry(~40W or so more than then 4670k/4770k).

The GPU sits at the price point I wanted to spend for one, why is it not good? What won't it do?
    Spending $3k on a rig an only getting a ~7970 equivalent GPU is kinda silly. A 7990/R9 290X(when it comes out in the next few weeks) would be much better.

For the cooling while it is a little more than might be needed for this system, it will again last a few mb/cpu upgrades for only a few dollars extra.
    h100i has a better pump and hose since a revised edition has been released and it is ~$25 cheaper when bought online.

8gb has not been enough for me before as a photographer that does a lot of photo editing I find I need more memory.
    Fair enough, but 1866mhz is still overkill. You should be more worried about the CAS.

Than what is the point of the HDD or are you installing multiple OS's and using the HDD as storage?

A black HDD for the extra warranty (5 years vs 2) I've had a green hdd fail just outside the 2 years previously) and dont mind spending a little extra for the warranty and the performance is a bonus with all the photos etc.
    If you don't mine the noise and neigh un-noticeable performance gains(you have the SSD's for performance anyways right?). You can always buy the drive from Newegg or a similar site that offers extended warranties and just add it to your prebuilt since your going to use it as a storage drive anyways.

The place that's building my system does win pro at the same price as non pro so why not?
    Windows 8 Pro runs about $30 more than the standard installation so thats fine, kinda makes ya wonder how much they are charging to begin with to make up for offering the Pro version for the same price(all that "FREE UPGRADE FROM X TO Y stuff ain't really free ).

Yes it's being pre built, this provides me with a 2 year warranty on the system which is something I am prepared to pay for peace of mind.
    99% of parts you buy online also come with 2year+ warranties on them and they generally don't require you to send back your ENTIRE rig if something happens.

If your set on a prebuilt, you could go to CyberPower and build one that comes with a 7990 that starts out at ~$1,700 and it comes with the same CPU and 32GB of RAM.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2013-10-16 at 06:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tielknight explained most of it. Just sort of touching on a few things.

It's hard to advise on this kind of stuff when you don't mention it. If it's literally the same price ($90) then I suppose why not. And yes, more ram would be nice.

Separate from what? Programs? You'd need to reinstall programs anyway if you reinstall the OS

That's valid as far as warranty goes. Personally, I don't find the warranty useful, at least not worth the extra cost, and the newer WD Blue drives are nearly as fast as the Blacks

Everything pretty much already has 2-3 years warranty on it. Having an entire system serviced is a bigger hassle than one part through the manufac
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab