Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Inb4 lock. :P
    yeah that will score you an infraction also. To the guy asking how this is a religious discussion come on, use that brain of yours. You can't say the main person in a religion was made up and not be indirectly saying the religion is made up also.

Deleted
    Arguing against the existence of Jesus Christ is ridiculous. As ridiculous as claiming he was the son of god.

Quote Originally Posted by Vvulf View Post
    It will be interesting to see what is presented as "proof".
    Atwill has none. It's basically his own version of "Bible Code"; ie. he can see hidden "connections" and "codes" in the texts that everyone else has missed. Fact is no-one should believe OR disbelieve based on anything Atwill has produced.

Deleted
    Classic example of somebody seeing only what they want to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to take off my monocle a second and be candid.

Maybe some will find it funny, but if anything my faith becomes stronger with this claim, which hasn't got any sources I saw cited. You see to me Jesus Christ does exist despite the so-called historic claims of the link. He exists in me and how I choose to conduct my life. Since I am certain that "I" exist, he too must exist, for in a way we are the same. I would probably give up my life for the right cause, and do so gladly if it made the world better. Most honorable people would.

Thus, even if it wound up becoming true that this claim was fact, my personality and style of dealing with others would not change, because it is how I choose to live my life, in a belief that all things can be forgiven and that the nature of man can be changed for the better. So really whether a Roman invention or not, it doesn't matter. Those who try to contrive oppression, those who would use these things to create pain in others, I believe they will pay for that if they sought to create these things intentionally. Jesus Christ is the Tribal Medicine Man of the Native Americans who sought to lead his people rightly and honestly to a better future. Jesus Christ was Buddha when he taught enlightenment. Jesus Christ as the true term, the Holy Spirit exists in everyone who seeks to make this world a better place and overcome their very human nature.

Too bad so few understand what should be basic. People call Christians intolerant, but they suffer as many persecutions as Athiests, Muslims and other religions. But because they are Christians they are not given the right of defense as defending a Christian is not "politically profitable". But shutting down any expression of their worship, or attacking it with little to no proof is.
    Last edited by The Penguin; 2013-10-16 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Typos

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakallanar View Post
    Many of the parallels are conceputal or poetic...I think someone is seeing what he wants to see. I'm not religious, but the existance of an historical Jesus ist generally assumed to be true.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidenc...f_Jesus_Christ
    Wiki's are not a reliable source of information. Not saying its right or wrong.

Deleted
    That means the Siege of Massada in 66 AD is a government cover-up?...

Seriously, the lack of proof and the fact that he ignores completely the archaeological data that we have clearly show how BS his theory is.

Deleted
    And I suppose this "confession" was written on golden plates they had to read out of a hat..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Religion was invented to control and regulate people? This is shocking.
    dramaticchicken.jpg

I am frankly outraged. I demand a refund on my cinema ticket for passion of the Christ! I was knowingly deceived!

Anyone with half a brain is aware of this. I know CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS* who are aware of this. They just follow their religions because...they agree with the lessons. That's all religion is and should be. Life lessons.

*Referring to religious prophets and miracles as a broader picture here, not as just the JC thing, he could have been a real guy, but the myth surrounding him? I...doubt that. I doubt that hard.

The second you take it any further than that, that's when you step over the line and become dangerous to me. And I tend to ignore anyone spewing gospel as solidified truth.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2013-10-16 at 10:56 AM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    To the guy asking how this is a religious discussion come on, use that brain of yours. You can't say the main person in a religion was made up and not be indirectly saying the religion is made up also.
    That makes it a historical discussion, not a religious one.

Religion is to believe in "Jesus Christ", history is whether a person called Jesus even existed, and apparently he was a character made up by the Romans.

Heh. Someone always pops up with something they 'found'. People that don't believe in a God or religion can't stand the fact that other people do or that they just don't agree with what they, themselves, believe in. People believing in a religion not only feel compelled to "spread the word" about their God and convert people, but also can't stand the fact that other people don't believe in their God/religion or could choose science over that.

...and around we go.

These arguments, way more often that not, happen with college or high school kids. They hear/read something convincing in a given class and spread it as the gospel. Perhaps, the person was just getting stoned after failing a math quiz and his buddy, the philosophy major, babbles on. "Dude.....that makes total sense, man! Whoa!"

I feel compelled to say break the cycle. Get used to the fact that not everyone has the same life experiences that lead them to believe the things they do. People just can't seem to accept the fact that everyone's different. It's just one more way people try to control yet another aspect of life they'll never be able to control.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Going to take off my monocle a second and be candid.

Maybe some will find it funny, but if anything my faith becomes stronger with this claim, which hasn't got any sources I saw cited. You see to me Jesus Christ does exist despite the so-called historic claims of the link. He exists in me and how I choose to conduct my life. Even if it wound up becoming true that this claim was fact, my personality and style of dealing with others would not change, because it is how I choose to live my life, in a belief that all things can be forgiven and that the nature of man can be changed for the better.

So really whether a Roman invention or not, it doesn't matter. Those who try to contrive oppression, those who would use these things to create pain in others, I believe they will pay for that if they sought to create these things intentionally. Jesus Christ is the Tribal Medicine Man of the Native Americans who sought to lead his people rightly and honestly to a better future. Jesus Christ was Buddha when he taught enlightenment. Jesus Christ as the true term, the Holy Spirit exists in everyone who seeks to make this world a better place and overcome their very human nature.

Too bad so few understand what should be basic.
    I've no beliefs, yet behave as if it was a heaven. Why? Cause I think everyone should, and I personally see no reason why not. I don't need a JC or God or any other idea to guide me, I can easily find my own path.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

Religion is to believe in "Jesus Christ", history is whether a person called Jesus even existed, and apparently he was a character made up by the Romans.
    Apparently this is a load of cock syd.
    I don't think acknowledging the existence of a wise man that went against the power of the time is a religious concept only.
    I believe Jesus was a great man. And this comes from a man that isn't even baptised.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Arguing against the existence of Jesus Christ is ridiculous.
    It's a respectable (admittedly minority) position in academy, in fact. Even if there were a person who inspired all the miracle stories of the New Testament, arguing for historical Jesus is kinda like arguing that James Bond existed because Ian Fleming probably got some inspiration from real life for his 007 stories.
    Last edited by Barael; 2013-10-16 at 11:00 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    It's a respectable position in academy, in fact. Even if there were a person who inspired all the miracle stories of the New Testament, arguing for historical Jesus is kinda like arguing that James Bond existed because Ian Fleming probably got some inspiration from real life for his 007 stories.
    Ah come on there are references everywhere across the board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

I'm sorry but look at the other posts in this thread, you are obviously very incorrect in assuming no one in here is talking about religion. It's not hard logic to follow it's simple implication Christianity -> Jesus now just saying but if Jesus is false then the whole statement is false. Now you can say he is talking about history but he is making an implication in his general topic.

Read about this on discovery a few days ago and the evidence seems very very flimsy. It ammounts to nothing more than the fact that the locations of the story of Jesus partially correspond to the areas of Roman activity and conflict... That's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Religion is a banned subject here and there is just no way a topic like this could exist without people discussing religion.

Closed.