Am I the only one that would like old raids to downscale like challenge modes?

I started WoW in Wrath of the LIch King, so I never got to experience Karazhan or Blackwing Lair the way it should have been experienced as a whole raid and co-op; not ignoring mechanics or farming it by yourself weekly to get that transmog you need.

Hopefully with the rescale of stats, maybe they could implement a challenge mode/ 10/25man lfr type que for old raids but scaled down? I think it would be popular and would take less or just as long as if you were queuing up as a dps in lfr. It will be new for some and a nostalgic fight for others.

It would also be a great time to bring back weekly raid rewards.

Any constructive thoughts?
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2013-10-16 at 06:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those raids were built and designed for a different game essentially. Scaling gear down would not replicate the experience as classes have changed so much since those instances were released.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd want to be able to turn it off if I felt like it

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    I started WoW in Wrath of the LIch King, so I never got to experience Karazhan or Blackwing Lair the way it should have been experienced as a whole raid and co-op; not ignoring mechanics or farming it by yourself weekly to get that transmog you need.

Hopefully with the rescale of stats, maybe they could implement a challenge mode/ 10/25man lfr type que for old raids but scaled down? I think it would be popular and would take less or just as long as if you were queuing up as a dps in lfr. It will be new for some and a nostalgic fight for others.

They could but exactly what would be the point? You won't get the same experience we had back then. Reason being gear now has a mastery (wasn't available in Kara) and haste/crit (very rarely did any gear in Vanilla have this) and the list goes on. Mechanics can still be ignored because they won't do much and talents / spells are completely different than they were.

Overall you won't ever get the same experience other than when it was first live. As for rewards they would have to make it something to entice people back BUT make it so it's not required. For instance pet collectors would not be happy if they had to get 10 others and complete Kara just to get a pet as it would be annoying and not everyone shares the interest. Same if it was a mount, or epic gear slightly above heroic dungeon, but below LFR. They could do transmog gear, but it'd end in the same boat.

Deleted
    it should be optional, but it would be cool! still even with your gear down scaling it wont be experiencing it like it was, go run some level 60 raid with level 60s, because of class overhauls, talent changes, better gear optimisation ect they are much easier now, wouldn't be surprised if you could 5man karazhan at level 70. dont get me wrong, it would be a fun option and i would probably use it.

Deleted
    Honestly, I don't know anybody who would use that options, including myself

I would do it, if I got some cool reward out of it. I miss Karazan, though I agree those old raids were designed around old classes so it would be awkward to fight some of those fights.

Deleted
    The option to have it would be nice, cant understand why people would be against it since it would only add more options to the game (which is good), it stil would mean that those who would not like it for various reasons could just leave it off

Some fights would probably have to be redesigned but it could be very cool if they made it work. I was thinking everything scaled down to 5-10 man btw, more than 10 probably won't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I'd rather see all old raids upscaled to previous tier at every raid patch. That way, you can "catch up" by running a bazillion different raids instead of only 1 tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    Those raids were built and designed for a different game essentially. Scaling gear down would not replicate the experience as classes have changed so much since those instances were released.
    This honestly. The game is nothing like it was originally. There have been way too many changes to the point it can hardly be considered the same game anymore.

I'm all for them scaling, but not in a LFR type situation. LFR is horrid. I wouldn't want to see my fond memories of those instances tainted by the garbage that inhabits LFR. If they made them just as difficult as they were originally, sure. LFR version, no.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post

yes. yes you are. if they do not offer relevant rewards through current gear then they should not offer the challenge that relevant raids do.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    If there was the option to toggle it like challenge mode, sure, it would be interesting to see an MC fight that lasts longer than 2 white swings :3

Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    The option to have it would be nice, cant understand why people would be against it since it would only add more options to the game (which is good), it stil would mean that those who would not like it for various reasons could just leave it off
    That is the attitude most people should have with optional content, but alas, people would rather have more of the same content instead of more different content. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Some fights would probably have to be redesigned but it could be very cool if they made it work. I was thinking everything scaled down to 5-10 man btw, more than 10 probably won't work.
    agreed as well, if they scaled it down to 5-10 that could be fun. Running a challenging Karazan or MC with five people to get either a title or cosmetic transmog gear or something could be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by StrayFox View Post
    That is the attitude most people should have with optional content, but alas, people would rather have more of the same content instead of more different content. :P
    The problem is in order to have an option like this we would lose out on other content that could be added that only a small minority would even use unless rewards are available. Also your comment doesn't make sense of "people would rather have more of the same content instead of more different content". By adding scaling to old raids you are exactly getting the same content that has been in the game for 1-9 years. Different content would be adding more content to current patch rather than content that has been used up and won't be touched as much as new content would.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayFox View Post
    agreed as well, if they scaled it down to 5-10 that could be fun. Running a challenging Karazan or MC with five people to get either a title or cosmetic transmog gear or something could be awesome!
    It goes back to what I said earlier and others as well. Even if they scaled it down to 5-10 players it won't ever be "challenging" because things have drastically changed from then that make the content a lot easier now. They would have to completely work boss damage, health, etc in order for it to work. Basically it would have to get an Onyxia revamp done over every single raid boss. Is that really worth the development time? For comparison sake, it'd be like them working on Cataclysm with the old world. So the expansion would be revamped raid scaling with difficulty and very little end game content again. Pretty sure most do not want that again.