Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Tanks have moved on to Flex

    LFR probably is extremely boring for real raiders. And on top of it half of the raid is probably afk looking facebook or w/e while the tank is tanking. The tank is the only one having to stay 100% focused.

    I think this is the major reason that tanks don't wanna do LFR anymore, because players can afk and get away with it while he has no choice but keep tanking. such a let down.

    Another problem is that LFR content force real raiders to carry it, because it's completely inappropriate for non-raiders. In the end, forced raiders (tanks) + casual players is not a good equation. Pretty sure tanks don't build tank only to tank LFR content. Now, they have an alternative, and many will *never* do LFR again.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    33,051
    I have alt tanks that I use in LFR. I don't ever plan on taking them into flex or normal raid.



  3. #3
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,918
    Ignoring the fact tanks are unpopular due to being boring, most tanks that suck it up and play as such will eventually ditch LFR.

    EVERYONE will eventually ditch LFR unless they like running with bots, mouth breathers, and players who purchased their level 90 and only know how to spam Heroic Strike.
    "You should only install Warlords on your master hard drive. They will never be slaves." - @CM_Lore

    Derinii - Wyrmrest Accord | Pridistia - Wyrmrest Accord (going to faction change)

  4. #4
    We have to do LFR to meet some of the insane ILvL requirements people want for Flex!

    Honestly, I do LFR because I still need gear and I can do it on a whim. I don't pay no attention to all the bitching and moaning. Ain't no one got time for that!

  5. #5
    Long time raid tank here and I can tell you that your assumption is spot on. Without extra rewards I will never set foot in LFR because as you said the Tank always has to perform no matter what level of difficulty it is. If I do not need gear then I will never do LFR. The bonus satchel you get should be rewarded for every boss you kill in that raid not just one at the end. I am only motivated to use LFR if there is some sort of balanced effort/reward ratio and right now it is heavy on the effort and low on the reward.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    LFR probably is extremely boring for real raiders. And on top of it half of the raid is probably afk looking facebook or w/e while the tank is tanking. The tank is the only one having to stay 100% focused.

    I think this is the major reason that tanks don't wanna do LFR anymore, because players can afk and get away with it while he has no choice but keep tanking. such a let down.

    Another problem is that LFR content force real raiders to carry it, because it's completely inappropriate for non-raiders. In the end, forced raiders (tanks) + casual players is not a good equation. Pretty sure tanks don't build tank only to tank LFR content. Now, they have an alternative, and many will *never* do LFR again.
    I just read your whole post like, 4 times and am still unsure what your point is? I did gather that you say tanks are the only ones who have to stay focused? Wrong. Most fights are 50/50 tank swaps, if I wanted to I could afk lulz while the other tnak tanked and then taunt when his debuff gets too high. Not really hard. As to your argument that there are no tanks because they cant afk in lfr...cant tell you how much that misses the mark lol.

    For me, personally, I found/find tanking boring because there is no real measure of improvment, if I live and the boss dies then I won. Dps can compare meters each week/each pull and always strive to reach those higher numbers, get upgrades so they can see themselves improve. Same with heals to a lesser extent (meter watching) as a tank how do I get stoked about my performance beyond having survived the fight? Damage taken, amount healed? Meh. For me that is why I dont tank anymore, not as exciting., not because I cant afk in lfr lol.

  7. #7
    That is true lol.

    Tanks have to actually put effort, everybody else just helps when they feel like helping.

    I used to heal in DPS gear, DPS in healing gear. When I'd DPS id never gem, never be top 10 DPS (on my alts) and pretty much get carried.


    But a tank must tank in tank gear, probably be gemmed/enchanted/etc, and stay focused. And almost always to blame for wipes.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

  8. #8
    Epic! Bosbeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Batcave
    Posts
    1,641
    Yes, these are the reasons, and the fact that tanks are the only ones who have to master their class in order to play.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I have alt tanks that I use in LFR. I don't ever plan on taking them into flex or normal raid.
    How is this relevant to what the OP is stating?

  9. #9
    I have given up on LFR but the last run I did on my healing monk I did Fistweaving had about 90dps and 45k heals and I was in the top 3 dps and top heals every boss. Its sad that people don't try. They don't get if we tried we could get it done in 1/2 the time.

  10. #10
    this is true. i completely ditched LFR - i never do it anymore. Flex pretty much replaced LFR for me because I can do it with guildies and friends who dont suck or go afk AND get better loot!

    If blizzard allow loot trading in flex i think LFR will die, otherwise que times might just go up

  11. #11
    Freshly dinged 90 tanks will invariably have to run lfr, as I doubt many groups are going to accept a 480-490 level tank in flex mode
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  12. #12
    The best thing about patch 5.4 is that it made LFR obsolete to most raiders because flex was introduced. I'm sure we'll see LFR becoming being less and less popular over time.

  13. #13
    I can only do LFR because my server is dead and I can't justify spending 25 bucks to transfer plus I had a long history on my server, it's kinda hard to want to leave.

    But yeah, Tanks are saddled with so much more stuff to do and be aware of. If you think being a melee DPS is annoying on Dark Shaman, try being a tank forced to make constant judgement calls where you drag them around and still get yelled at regardless of how right you were.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

  14. #14
    The 2 people saying tanks are boring and easy are SOOOOOOOO wrong! I as a tank will be responsible for most of the fight planning and execution, I will have the most uptime on all enemies and be responsible for keeping myself alive while also focusing on max dps to all targets. I think its really funny when a dps says tanking is easy and boring when if we were in the same raid I as a tank would be top 3 on the meters and still have to worry about tanking and staying alive. So in summary a good tank will be as good as a dps at dpsing but also flawlessly mitigate dmg and correctly execute fight mechanics. So boring lulz

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I have alt tanks that I use in LFR. I don't ever plan on taking them into flex or normal raid.
    There is a deficit of tanks for LFR. Can we agree on that? And it's been worse in 5.4. Can we agree on that too? Obviously, the OP was a generalization, so there are bound to be counter-examples. But in general, I think it's a good theory.

    And we all (<- another generalization) have alt tanks that we've run in LFR a few times but we don't really care about and won't take to Flex or Normal. But we don't play these toons often enough for it to make a dent in the LFR queuing overall.

  16. #16
    The problem with most players opinions of tanks is the fact that most players never actually see or play with a really good tank. Why is that? Because the best tanks don't need to play with random baddies and can stay very busy with normal/heroics and then jumping on openraid to find a killer Flex grp every week or just solo 5 man heroics and laugh at people stuck in LFD and LFR.

  17. #17
    I don't blame them. LFR is terrible. Too much time and effort for weak reward.

    However I might run LFR Blackfuse and Paragons just because I REALLY want the pets that drop. I love how those pets drop on LFR, flex and normal. That gives me 3 shots at it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospels View Post
    I just read your whole post like, 4 times and am still unsure what your point is? I did gather that you say tanks are the only ones who have to stay focused? Wrong. Most fights are 50/50 tank swaps, if I wanted to I could afk lulz while the other tnak tanked and then taunt when his debuff gets too high. Not really hard. As to your argument that there are no tanks because they cant afk in lfr...cant tell you how much that misses the mark lol.

    For me, personally, I found/find tanking boring because there is no real measure of improvment, if I live and the boss dies then I won. Dps can compare meters each week/each pull and always strive to reach those higher numbers, get upgrades so they can see themselves improve. Same with heals to a lesser extent (meter watching) as a tank how do I get stoked about my performance beyond having survived the fight? Damage taken, amount healed? Meh. For me that is why I dont tank anymore, not as exciting., not because I cant afk in lfr lol.
    That's the reason I stopped tanking as well. Back when threat was actually something you had to be concerned with, I enjoyed tanking. Being able to tank for high-end DPS and pull snap aggro on the spot, etc. was something that set you apart from another tank. It was the challenge of keeping up with the DPS, and that's now lost since aggro is pretty much handed to you on a silver platter (unless you're completely clueless of course).

    I tanked for quite a few years and never understood why everyone cried about threat... It was the only performance based competitive edge that tanks had (that wasn't just vanity).

    But yeah, without that challenge and/or competitive nature to share with the DPS, I just find tanking to be too boring to bother with.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    33,051
    Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    How is this relevant to what the OP is stating?
    I think this is the major reason that tanks don't wanna do LFR anymore, because players can afk and get away with it while he has no choice but keep tanking. such a let down.

    Another problem is that LFR content force real raiders to carry it, because it's completely inappropriate for non-raiders. In the end, forced raiders (tanks) + casual players is not a good equation. Pretty sure tanks don't build tank only to tank LFR content. Now, they have an alternative, and many will *never* do LFR again.
    That's what I'm replying to



  20. #20
    If you as a tank are not towards the very top of the DPS meter then you are not playing at a high level. People who say threat used to matter are correct but now instead of just trying to hold aggro you can absolutely slaughter things while still being a tank (dmg soaker). I still fail to see how tanking became boring because we do 100X more dps now than vanilla/bc. I do not miss the days of staring at omen. With the changes to vengeance and threat all that happened was bad tanks can now at least hold onto a boss for a few minutes which only helps everybody out because there are SOOOOO many bad tanks out there and a lot don't even know it. I see normal raiding guilds with ok'ish progression that have aweful tanks but manage despite their poor performance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •