Deleted

Demo still viable?

So I have been playing demo since cata and ended up playing purely demo for the whole of ToT and was loving it. However after the recent nerfs to demo and the general buffs to affli and destro I am wondering weather Demo is still viable? I am a great lover of Demo and it is serving me fine for normal modes. We should be starting HC in the next couple of weeks and have been looking into possibly respeccing affli main spec as it seems to be much stronger at the moment and would really like to know, realistically what sort of DPS improvement I may see from respeccing.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

seems to be doing fine DPS for me so long as u aren't still using Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen
    i'm using Bindings of Immerseus (LFR) and Wusholay's Final Choice (LFR) and doing fine
    but admittedly i've been demo since ICC came out
    I give bad feedback all the time, I just dont rage or give them shit. Paying for content does not gives you the license to be an asshole.

Deleted
    Im using Bindings Flexi and warforged totem which seem a good choice, at least untill i can get a better version of bindings or black blood.

Demo is fine. If you enjoy it most keep playing it. Good luck in heroics.

Deleted
    If you're not one of those "I played demo since middle ages herp derp and will always play demo" u might want to just play destro and affli as they perform super well atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Brapsticle View Post
    So I have been playing demo since cata and ended up playing purely demo for the whole of ToT and was loving it. However after the recent nerfs to demo and the general buffs to affli and destro I am wondering weather Demo is still viable? I am a great lover of Demo and it is serving me fine for normal modes. We should be starting HC in the next couple of weeks and have been looking into possibly respeccing affli main spec as it seems to be much stronger at the moment and would really like to know, realistically what sort of DPS improvement I may see from respeccing.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Normal/Flex/LFR geared, I noticed a pretty big shift in DPS. With UVLS and an Air Horn weakaura, I was very good at keeping up Auto-Crit Dooms. Build was Haste to Softcap, then Mastery. I never took the Everlasting Affliction Glyph. I like Demonology, and basically played Demonology on any fight that didn't obviously favor Destruction. My average DPS differential between to the two specs was low single digit percentages, favoring Demonology. With class nerfs and the change to UVLS, I'm doing about 20% less damage as Demonology relative to Destruction. My gut fealing is that Destro has an easier time of lining up CDs with their big guns vs. Demo, and since I was very close to perfect with UVLS, that nerf hit me hard. Your mileage may very, best of luck.

Depending on how competetively you want to play.
    If you wish to do normals it is still fine imo, it cant hurt having a good Demo lock in the raid.
    If you are pushing heroics no. And by no I mean NO: Affli and especially Destro is so powerful right now it bursts the living shit out of poor Demo. So if you are pushing HC progression then again: NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfarien View Post
    If you wish to do normals it is still fine imo, it cant hurt having a good Demo lock in the raid.
    If you are pushing heroics no. And by no I mean NO: Affli and especially Destro is so powerful right now it bursts the living shit out of poor Demo. So if you are pushing HC progression then again: NO.
    I strongly disagree. It's a little lower single target but demo sacrifices almost nothing on high movement fights and has exceptional AOE burst from MF immo aura. There are certainly fights where demo is weaker than the other two, but it is far from being a worthless spec for heroic raiding.

I'ma put it this way, they all have their niche and none of them are completely worthless.

It's really gonna depend on the fight and what your raid lacks that decides what spec you should play.

Quote Originally Posted by Numidia View Post
    I strongly disagree. It's a little lower single target but demo sacrifices almost nothing on high movement fights and has exceptional AOE burst from MF immo aura. There are certainly fights where demo is weaker than the other two, but it is far from being a worthless spec for heroic raiding.
    The same aforementioned applies to Destro, yet you can pull off a 40k DPS difference between the two, and on fights where enrage matters it is really important to have the strongest spec available. I did not say it was worthless, just that it is in a handicapped position right now.

The same aforementioned applies to Destro, yet you can pull off a 40k DPS difference between the two, and on fights where enrage matters it is really important to have the strongest spec available. I did not say it was worthless, just that it is in a handicapped position right now.
    At 565 ilvl+ you won't really see this 40k dps difference. I assume you're talking about single target? Simcraft sims them pretty near each other at high ilvls. Not that that matters since Simcraft doesn't reflect real encounters. In fact, I can't really think of a fight where destro does SOOO much better than demo other than possibly Nazgrim or Garrosh, and even then it'll depend on your strat and raid comp.

Demo is fine for heroic progression. Passsive cleaves and high single target is good on multiple fights. Even uvls is fine, there's certainly better trinkrets but uvls isn't bad.

I'm playing demo for seigecrafter and keeping up or beating hips on most pulls.(and he was one of the highest parsing destro locks laet tier) dem scales prrtty well with gear, so if you're significantly undergeared I'd maybe reconsider. If you're 550+ I'd say all 3 specs are viable.
    www.twitch.tv/rtrain

Free Agent! Looking for Guild for Legion!

I'd say it goes on a fight by fight basis, on alot of the fights though you'll be better off playing Destro/Affy

Demo is still very viable just has a higher skill cap and can be hurt more by bad luck than aff...but about the same as dest. Demo loves strong procs to spend its DF on and it likes them about 60 sec apart (doom is a powerhouse UVLS or not). Getting too many procs too close together (esp after a proc dryspell) can hurt demo since you run out of DF to spend on. A big DF dump can be hurt by forced movement since aside from doom your other drive is soulfire. Same problem as destro having to move during trinket procs since chaosbolt is your moneymaker.

Mobile or simply aoe in general is destro. The listed 20% nerf to hellfire/immo aura at 5.4 launch + a stealth nerf to IA of 15% sometime thereafter means you just don't do the aoe destro can. You also can't do it from range but you can do it on the move. TLDR F&B on the run w' KJC is just a ton of aoe that works on the move. Hence why its so good vs bombs on h.siegecrafter. Felstorm damage does not make up for it... Passive cleave however from shadowflame and pet cleave still is strong however.

You might have to work a bit harder but demo still can do quite a bit...at least at high ilvls which implies heroic progression.

If you are pushing heroics no. And by no I mean NO
    3 h bosses left, with a demo in the raid for first kills on spoils, thok etc and doing fine.. He has to work harder than I do to pull off the same numbers as affi/dest, but on top of that he usually brings utility where we need it - burst aoe on thok bats, knockbacks on siegecrafter, etc.

We are 568-572ish, ymmv I guess.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2013-10-22 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icecoldsir View Post
    I'd say it goes on a fight by fight basis, on alot of the fights though you'll be better off playing Destro/Affy
    Which fights?

Demo is strong on: Immerseus, Protectors, Sha of Pride, Iron Jugg, Dark Shamans, Nazgrim, Malkorok(actually the highest dps spec on this fight and hopefully will proove that next week ), Thok, Siegecrafter, Paragons.

That leaves Spoils Galkaras Norushen and Garrosh.
    Norushen is pretty bad for all 3 specs in my opinion(i hate this fight).
    Demo is fine for Galkaras progression, but starts to fall behind when adds die faster(and then dps matters less and less)
    Destro is best for spoils but demo isn't atrocious. Depending on strat demo might not even be that bad tbh.
    Garrosh I have no clue, but it appears destro shines again :/.

In reality that's not many fights where demo isn't good. I could honestly even see demo played for every fight, without gimping your raid. (single target damage is pretty high and passive cleave and aoe burst is really nice.)

The only *note* i'd like to add is on Siegecrafter destro locks are really good, if youre running with a few locks already playing destro then playing affi or demo is fine i think. (Demo's aoe isn't as consistent as destro's and a little trickier to pull off)
    www.twitch.tv/rtrain

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit harsh. At lower gear levels it is pretty atrocious and that will give a very poor impression of the spec, but I've seen things improve very substantially between 555 and 564 ilvl. Although I used Destruction on most of our heroic progression kills so far, only Galakras and Shamans do I really feel a need to go back to it before they're 'real' farm, but I think I'm at a point now with gear that I can comfortably use Demo as we move on to Nazgrim and Malkorak this week.

My issue on shamans isn't damage, because it's available, it's just not plantable in a place where I'm not risking dumping shit on kiting path. This is something that's frustrated me since 'hit the ranged' became such a big thing so melee players can justify their raid spots on something more than ability :\

You can't aoe green adds on shaman the way destro can...but you can double HoG and felstorm them which is still quite a bit. Obviously your numbers will look bad if your raid splits up the bosses since double dooming can't happen past the first little bit. Demo's passive cleave is great on malkorok. Siegecrafter demo is good but destro is just better when it comes to dealing with bombs. Though if they are well managed by the rest of the raid there is no reason you can't use demo on it for solid numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    You can't aoe green adds on shaman the way destro can...but you can double HoG and felstorm them which is still quite a bit. Obviously your numbers will look bad if your raid splits up the bosses since double dooming can't happen past the first little bit. Demo's passive cleave is great on malkorok. Siegecrafter demo is good but destro is just better when it comes to dealing with bombs. Though if they are well managed by the rest of the raid there is no reason you can't use demo on it for solid numbers.
    Dark shamans is fine. I usually just kb with chaos wave for higher meta uptimes.the adds have so little hp. We usually grt to redoom the boss shortly after they fall off with our kite path.

You can watch my vod from last night, demo bomb dmg is good. There was some attempts I did quite more then the destro locks. (4pc has a lot to do with it)
    www.twitch.tv/rtrain

Quote Originally Posted by Rtrain View Post
    (4pc has a lot to do with it)
    8% of the time, it's better every time.