Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is classic peanut butter (jif etc) bad for you?

So i stumbled upon this yahoo article today:

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...182200415.html

It says that PB with hydrogenated oils add trans fat, well i looked at my jar of jif in the cupboard and it said right on the label 0 grams of trans fat. Then later they said if it has a different kind of oil that would add saturated fat compared to something like smuckers natural, but low and behold my jif had 2.5g of saturated fat the same as the natural stuff.

I just cant imagine giving up something ive enjoyed for years for this newfangled stuff that you need to stir that apparently(dunno i never had it) does not taste very good.

If peanut butter (classic style with hydrogenated oils) is now considered bad for you how long has this stigma been apparent? Only today had i seen an article like this. In the past peanut butter has always been considered a health food in the circles of people i keep company with.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2013-10-17 at 05:58 AM.

natural peanut butter is healthy, the other stuff not so much

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of reminds me of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
    natural peanut butter is healthy, the other stuff not so much
    Ok but why? I already ruled out the trans fat argument they had as well as the saturated fat one (same g per serving). That leaves just sugar. Sugar grows on this earth, we all eat sugar all the time, sugar tastes good etc etc.

I just dont get what this article in getting on about. Is it basically just an advertisement for natural PB in case people werent aware they existed?

I'd hardly call it an article, it's an op-ed at best from some opinionated food nazi. Fucking Peanut Butter is going to be the last thing that kills you, like everything else buy something with less shit in it and don't overdo it.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Well, no matter what you do, peanut butter is still bad for you. It's right there in the name. Peanut Butter. It's mostly fat (50% by weight, 70% by caloric content, to use Jif as an example). I think it's silly to mince over what kind of fat it is.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Leave my Jiff alone. That shit is delicious. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Well, no matter what you do, peanut butter is still bad for you. It's right there in the name. Peanut Butter. It's mostly fat (50% by weight, 70% by caloric content, to use Jif as an example). I think it's silly to mince over what kind of fat it is.
    you forget its high in protein and its mostly GOOD fat, like most nuts >.< What IS bad for you is when "spread" is part of the name of the peanut butter.. then you know it has a far less % of the good stuff. You need good fats to counter bad fats and to survive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Not all fat is bad fat...if you're going to relegate yourself to eating tubs of peanut butter every day, even the natural shit will likely do you in. It's the Trans Fats and the Saturated Fats that you need to avoid, but even by weight and fat %, peanut butter even at the worst of times is no worse than say Olive Oil. Linolenic Acids are fats, like Omega 3. It's the ones that add like a metric fuck ton of salt and sugar to make it taste good to fat children that you need to stay away from

If we want to get shitty about toast spreads, Margarine will kill your ass.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    So i stumbled upon this yahoo article today:

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...182200415.html

It says that PB with hydrogenated oils add trans fat, well i looked at my jar of jif in the cupboard and it said right on the label 0 grams of trans fat. Then later they said if it has a different kind of oil that would add saturated fat compared to something like smuckers natural, but low and behold my jif had 2.5g of saturated fat the same as the natural stuff.

I just cant imagine giving up something ive enjoyed for years for this newfangled stuff that you need to stir that apparently(dunno i never had it) does not taste very good.

If peanut butter (classic style with hydrogenated oils) is now considered bad for you how long has this stigma been apparent? Only today had i seen an article like this. In the past peanut butter has always been considered a health food in the circles of people i keep company with.
    The demand for natural peanut butter came about when the "trans fat" scare happened. I would say around around 2003-2006. Since then most companies have gotten rid of the hydrogenated oils and replaced them with palm oils for PR purposes. The palm oils are natural and to give the peanut butter consistency so it doesn't separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoou View Post
    you forget its high in protein and its mostly GOOD fat, like most nuts >.< What IS bad for you is when "spread" is part of the name of the peanut butter.. then you know it has a far less % of the good stuff. You need good fats to counter bad fats and to survive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat
    Good fats, yes. But its still a very high calorie food. 2 tbsps is 190 calories. Most people use a lot more than that on a PB&J. People who aren't active should probably just pass on it.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2013-10-17 at 07:09 AM.

Natural peanut butter is healthy - in moderat amounts. Very high in callories. The main problem is the white bread and the suggared jam people add.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    The demand for natural peanut butter came about when the "trans fat" scare happened. I would say around around 2003-2006. Since then most companies have gotten rid of the hydrogenated oils and replaced them with palm oils for PR purposes. The palm oils are natural and to give the peanut butter consistency so it doesn't separate.

Good fats, yes. But its still a very high calorie food. 2 tbsps is 190 calories. Most people use a lot more than that on a PB&J. People who aren't active should probably just pass on it.
    That vs Big Mac, what should they eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoou View Post
    There is no such thing as good and bad fat because it is all bad. It is more of a scale of bad.
    More and more studies are showing that people who go overboard on reduction of LDL cholesterol/ increase of HDL cholesterol can actually weaken their cardiovascular system.
    Especially those people that are completely healthy, have no cardiovascular or cholesterol problem, mostly eat mono-unsatured fats and on top of that also use products with Phytosterol.
    Note that these are people that go overboard (though more and more people are like this) and it effected their CVS after only a few years already. We don't have a good view of what this type of diet will do over the course of a lifetime yet.

The soundest advice (though I am no doctor neither) is to simply be moderate with all fats, preferably use unsaturated fats. Try to cut all transfats for sure because that stuff is just bad all around. And don't forget that diet is only 1 part of the equation, exercise is the second.

Like always, moderation is the key to things.

Deleted
    Everything is bad for you, depending on the time of day, the day of the month, the season, who you ask, and so on. Don't listen to anything anyone on this forum says about what's good and what's bad. They're not scientists, they don't know anything more than you do; they're just spreading hearsay. Even the scientists disagree, and even they're wrong. So basically, eat whatever you like, because everything will kill you.

There is no such thing as good and bad fat because it is all bad
    I lol'd at this comment. The brain needs fats, judging by your post i suggest you go out and slurp down a jar of jif asap : )

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I lol'd at this comment. The brain needs fats, judging by your post i suggest you go out and slurp down a jar of jif asap : )
    The brain (and more parts of the body actually) require a very small amount which any person can easily get from a healthy diet.

And judging my post by being overly picky makes you look like a smartass. Any person with an education has learned reading comprehension skills and would have determined that "moderation" is the key in the post and thus the message is not "eat no fat at all". But I guess an education was not in the cards for you.

Natural peanut butter is awesome and healthy. It has 0 added sugar, salt, anything. Ingredients are 100% peanuts.

Other peanut butter has salt, sugar, hydrogenated oils, etc. The process of adding hydrogenated oils actually strips away nutrients from the food and damages the cell structures.

The reason the label says 0 trans fat even when it has hydrogenated oils is because items that list hydrogenated oils in the ingredients but contain less than 0.5g of trans fats per serving are considered by the government to be trans-fat free.

Personally I eat

or
    Last edited by Bryanator1989; 2013-10-17 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added links
    Intel i5 6600k - Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz - Asus Strix GTX 1080 - Asus PG279Q - Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD

Deleted
    Peanuts are tasty, butter is tasty, peanut butter tastes bad. I don't know why would anyone want to eat that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Be real who measures out their tbsps of peanut butter to the official size of a tbsps, what is it something like 3x a tsp? 15 millilitres? or 17.8 millilitres according to Google. Most people will scoop out as much as they can fit on the spoon and cheat themselves that they are only getting 95 calories. My tbsps of the stuff are more like 200 calories a scoop or more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've eaten peanut butter... not a fan of peanut butter myself but... I can't say it's really disgusting either. It's not that bad.

And don't let a frickin' yahoo article decide what you can, or can't eat. Just eat whatever you like and stop listening to narrow-minded people. People claim everything is bad for you these days...
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."