10+ Year Old Account

Quick question; Muti VS Amb

Hey folks.

So, I'm reaching 90 with my rogue and I've been reading up on the class a little bit. I was doing garrote as a starter, but read I should be using mutilate as an opener from stealth. However, I'm reading on Ambush and it does way more damage... Shouldn't I then use Ambush as a starter? I know the guide says muti, but... I don't see the sense.

Input anyone? =)

Mutilate can proc Dispatch, it can proc poisons twice, has a higher chance to crit at least once and give you a third CP and it costs less energy.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm... Good points. But if none of that procs, I guess Ambush is better then, no? But to break it down... 10% of the time, Ambush is better, but 90% of the time, Mutilate is better. Either way; it seems like it's in the long run best to use Mutilate... Right?

Mut , never use garrot always open mut -> rupture -> snd etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiken3 View Post
    Hm... Good points. But if none of that procs, I guess Ambush is better then, no? But to break it down... 10% of the time, Ambush is better, but 90% of the time, Mutilate is better. Either way; it seems like it's in the long run best to use Mutilate... Right?
    Correct. On average Mutilate is a more effective opener.

I have taken ambush off my stealth bar, but it does have a purpose. During that global, ambush is normally superior damage, but that dispatch proc possibility just totally clocks it, and the average case is mutilate for sure.

Ambush will hit harder than mutilate, and may be better if you have a significant difference between your main and off hand weapons. But in most cases mutilate works out as the better option because of the double poison proc chance and the chance to proc blindside. Ambush also seems to have a shorter range than mutilate, which was pretty annoying when I messed around with using it as my opener for awile.
    Tishelle (Rogue) - Tisha (Mage) - Tishandra (DK) - Tisharia (Priest) - Tishanna (Warlock) - Tishie (Monk) - Tishette (Boosted Warrior )

It's a triple poison proc chance if you happen to get a blindside proc. And you can potentially get up to 5 combo points from a single mutilate.

I always use Ambush -> Mutilate -> Rupture -> SnD -> CD's ( assuming no dispatch procs and at least 1 crit )

Your main priorities from your opener are getting Rupture and SnD up as once you've done this CD's and cloak procs will get poisons rolling very quickly.

On Average as stated above muti will be better but Ambush gives a bigger boost into that opening burst which will increase your average dps over each fight. Making sure to Vanish -> Ambush on CD will also help you push them numbers higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Feliara View Post
    On Average as stated above muti will be better but Ambush gives a bigger boost into that opening burst which will increase your average dps over each fight. Making sure to Vanish -> Ambush on CD will also help you push them numbers higher.
    This is a contradiction. If Mutilate is better on average, Ambush can't be better on average. Unless you define better not as more dps.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    This is a contradiction. If Mutilate is better on average, Ambush can't be better on average. Unless you define better not as more dps.
    Correct. You should vanish -> mutilate to gain damage. Vanish -> Ambush is a loss unless, for instance, you are trying to put as much damage into a pvp target in a global as possible before a heal lands. That's a very specific situation, and I don't even have ambush on my bars as assassination.

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    What i meant is overtime muti will average out slightly ahead

Considering a per fight basis ( which i do as only each boss individually matters ) ambush gives higher burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Feliara View Post
    What i meant is overtime muti will average out slightly ahead

Considering a per fight basis ( which i do as only each boss individually matters ) ambush gives higher burst.
    Wrong. Ambush will give better burst on that exact global cooldown. It will, on a fight per fight basis, give less damage over the entire fight. That's what you're not getting. The only way Ambush can be considered an increase is if that's the last ability you're going to be using for the next 10 seconds (blindside duration iirc) or more.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2013-10-19 at 10:59 AM.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760