Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help! Restoration.

Hi all.

I'm just wondering how I should go about being more heal efficient.
    I'm aiming to be a core healer (not a 3rd option) for most 10 man guilds.

How do I become better...

Any help/tips will be great.

Armory in sig.

- - - Updated - - -

God damn it my armory isnt showing up... :/
    U p H___~ Restoration // Enhancement since 07.

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Frostmourne/Uph/

That's better, closest thing I have...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpunch View Post
    Hi all.

I'm just wondering how I should go about being more heal efficient.
    I'm aiming to be a core healer (not a 3rd option) for most 10 man guilds.

How do I become better...

Any help/tips will be great.

Armory in sig.

- - - Updated - - -

God damn it my armory isnt showing up... :/

I would say you have too much spirit for 10 man, 16.7k is quite a lot. I personally would put +80 int +160 crit in your red and yellow gem slots or your extra slots from BS and Belt buckle. Some shamans gem pure intellect in their red sockets, but I prefer what I mentioned.

Instead of reforging to spirit I would reforge out of spirit. With the LMG i've seem shamans go as low as 9k spirit, I personally feel between 11-13k is good for me.

With your current haste you get another tick of Earthliving Weapon. I would aim for the 8882 hbp (9k-9.3k for lat), which is the extra tick of HST and reforge the rest into crit.

Do you have any logs? When you say you want to get better, which area do you think you are having trouble with? i.e CD usage, boss encounters etc
    Last edited by MaugrimEU; 2013-10-17 at 10:47 AM.
    “I’m like King Midas in reverse. Everything I touch turns to shit.”

Trade in a big chunk of Spirit for Crit and you might be able to drop your Haste a bit again for more Crit. If you can't add more Crit add Mastery. But that amount of Spirit is way too high, and I agree with Cavemoss above that 11-13k is the range you want to be in. So you're looking at ~4k worth of stats that can better serve you.

The reason for so much spirit is that I go OOM a LOT. I'm constantly spamming CH or LHW. Sometimes even surge.

People tell me to go crit but what am i meant to do when I go oom...

I'm constantly spamming CH or LHW. Sometimes even surge.
    LHW? Lesser healing wave? Didn't hat get renamed to healing surge?

Crit gives you more bang for your buck, meaning that you will not need to be casting as often and low mana cost spells become more viable, plus crit adds to regen from resurgance
    Make sure you are using your mana tide as often as possible and keeping HST down as much as possible.

Maybe post some logs for people to go over. Much easy to see why you're going oom if we can see spell selection, raid comp and damage patterns

you also shouldn't be spamming HR and CH all of the time. Try to be a little more choosey about the heals you use and use your heal tots because they'll help too.

I don't have anything to keep logs with >_< is there a site I can go to that auto records logs or do I need to make an account for WoL or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently my glyphs are wrong.. and i should have the glyph of chain heal?

The reason for so much spirit is that I go OOM a LOT. I'm constantly spamming CH or LHW. Sometimes even surge.

The reason you go for crit is you'll get mana back from you critical heals via resurgence, which should stop you from going oom. Spamming Chain Healing or Healing Surge is not mana efficient. Use the Glyph of Chaining and Healing Stream Totem, the 3rd one I change quite frequently depending on the fight.

I normally drop my mana tide at 80% then on cd for mana intensive fights else I'm more selective on dropping it unless it's asked for at a particular point in a fight.

Are you using your healing totems and cds appropriately?
    Last edited by MaugrimEU; 2013-10-18 at 07:24 AM.

Lots can be done to remedy the OOM situation, all without piling on Spirit! So it's good news.

* More Crit means Resurgence regenerating mana, plus giving more frequent bigger heals for "free"

* Use Glyph of Totemic Recall and recall your HST and Elementals just before they expire, causing those high mana cost totems to be mana neutral. It is a fiddly pain in the butt but absolutely worth it. Set up a Weak Aura, TellMeWhen, NeedToKnow or Totem Timers notification to alert you to the expiration so you can recall and get your mana back. This also allows you to keep HST on CD while being very mana efficient (less mana spent, more healing done!)

* Don't spam anything except Healing Wave, and use your HS, CH and GHW as needed. Depending on your gear and stats, Healing Surge is probably more efficient than GHW. The bonus of Surge with higher Crit is that under Tidal Waves (which should *always* be up), HS has it's Crit chance boosted by 30% which, as per above, generates mana via Resurgence and delivers a really big heal on a crit. Spamming tends to lead towards overhealing, which isn't a problem if you aren't going OOM, but since you are going OOM you need to be more careful.

* Higher Haste levels will run you out of mana faster, so while yes it is a big throughput stat you need the mana to support it, so it's not a good idea to reach for high Haste when you haven't the other stats to make it tenable.

* Also don't forget to use Ascendence (works beautifully in conjunction with Spirit Link Totem), your Elementals if you have Primal Elementalist, use Mana Tide early (I tend to drop it around 70%) and often. If you are healing with another Shaman be sure to coordinate your CD usage to prevent waste.

* For glyphs I always have Recall and HST slotted, currently using Riptide because it makes things flow more smoothly (to my sensibilities, so it's totally a personal choice). The Chain Heal one is a strong option for sure and will prevent spamming. Don't use Water Shield, it's more often a loss than a gain.
    Last edited by Shockeye; 2013-10-18 at 02:32 PM.

I would say that what most starting-out resto shamans are failing at is:
    1. Keep HST up at all time. Use a addon, timer, something, so you put it down every CD.
    2. Keep Tidal Waves buff up.
    3. Keep ES up at all time (the shield is crap but the healing bonus is a must)
    4. CH of your riptide targets.
    5. Manage your cooldowns according to the fight. Learn it.

"Starting-out Resto Shaman"....

OP has better gear and progression than I do and I haven't considered myself "starting out"! Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    "Starting-out Resto Shaman"....

OP has better gear and progression than I do and I haven't considered myself "starting out"! Sigh.
    Hehe sorry didn't mean it like that. I'm a by no means a pro player, only have 4 HC in SoO. And besides, gear and progression doesn't really tell the whole story about a player. A player could really good/pro but just wants to raid casually or a new player joining a strong group and wanting to prove them self.

TBH, I didn't check his armory or anything. It was just a general point about resto shamans. No offense intended. Sorry.

It was meant more tongue in cheek so no worries! And *only 4HC in SoO*...pffft... our rag-tag lot haven't got past Galakrand (sp?) in flex

I don't think I'm a bad player, definitely not pro, but yeah, I'm not a hardcore raider, one or two nights per week is about all I want to do and in a low-pressure environment, so I guess the trade-off is slower progression.

I'm not a hardcore raider, one or two nights per week is about all I want to do and in a low-pressure environment, so I guess the trade-off is slower progression.
    Same here. We only raid about 6-8 hours a week: Raid smarter, not harder.....I've seen some of your posts here so I know, that you know what your doing. You'll get Galakras in a notime.

p.s remember to keep HR on the npc's to tease your healers about the hps. GL

Thanks

Good idea about the healing rain on the NPCs, hadn't thought of that. Usually because I'm further up the road for a good part of the fight interrupting casters, something no one else seems to want to do.... :/

It may also be that I take a certain bit of glee in Lorthremar getting his face beat in...

Usually because I'm further up the road for a good part of the fight interrupting casters...
    That may be a part of the problem. If the adds aren't being pulled back to where Aethus (sp?) keeps dropping fireballs, then it will strain your whole raid. Not sure if that might be happening in your group, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekboy View Post
    Same here. We only raid about 6-8 hours a week: Raid smarter, not harder.....I've seen some of your posts here so I know, that you know what your doing. You'll get Galakras in a notime.

p.s remember to keep HR on the npc's to tease your healers about the hps. GL

heh that is a great way to cheese the meters never actually thought of that!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

Good idea about the healing rain on the NPCs, hadn't thought of that. Usually because I'm further up the road for a good part of the fight interrupting casters, something no one else seems to want to do.... :/

It may also be that I take a certain bit of glee in Lorthremar getting his face beat in...
    Your dps/tank really need to be interupting, there is no excuse for not doing it, also not stunning the charging add can hold you back aswell. Whip them into shape!

Hey, had a little look at your armory.

I'd go even lower on the Spirit if possible, turn it into Crit.

You say you're spamming HW and GHW a lot, that makes me think you're either tank healing or the raid is taking unnecessary damage.
    If the former is true, you shouldn't do that: You have the 2set which is decent for tank healing and provides 3x the normal absorb.
    If you keep UE > RT running on the tank, your 2 set ES bonus will provide you enough leeway to land a buffed GHW on the tank should the need arise.
    Aside from that, let HR + HST do most of your work with blanket RT (glyphed ofc) doing the rest.

Also, don't blow useful cds like HST just for the sake of blowing them: learn when damage is incoming and pre-cast a UE>HR with an HST and the raid will pretty much top off. If not, RT > RT > CH.
    Point I'm trying to make there, is to let your OP HoTs do 90% of the work. If you can master that, your mana problems will lessen if not disappear.