Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Warlocks and Spirit gear

Hey guys

Whats the deal with warlocks and spirit gear?

I was under the assumption that if its an upgrade intellect wise, and no priests want the gear, it's viable for warlocks?

My warlock used http://www.wowhead.com/item=101906/c...r-shoulderpads of the unerring up until yesterday, and the Spirit shoulders dropped on galakras, looking at askmrrobot on the relative BIS list, it was quite clearly a huge leap, from rank 65, to rank 25 for the spirit shoulders.

The guild started going a bit mental about this, just because " it looks stupid" and warlocks shouldn't be taking cloth spirit gear ( even though it was just going to be D/E'd), the other warlock and the mage both passed on the spirit shoulders because of this.

What's the correct protocol for such a situation, Should I be taking them if I know theyre an upgrade?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    What's the correct protocol for such a situation, Should I be taking them if I know theyre an upgrade?
    what the...sure!
    It´s just a secondary stat missing, who cares? I also had the hc spirit feet from bladelord tayak back in the days. If it´s a big enough upgrade itemlevel wise the other secondary stat and int will outweight it

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys

I was under the assumption that if its an upgrade intellect wise, and no priests want the gear, it's viable for warlocks?

My warlock used http://www.wowhead.com/item=101906/c...r-shoulderpads of the unerring up until yesterday, and the Spirit shoulders dropped on galakras, looking at askmrrobot on the relative BIS list, it was quite clearly a huge leap, from rank 65, to rank 25 for the spirit shoulders.

The guild started going a bit mental about this, just because " it looks stupid" and warlocks shouldn't be taking cloth spirit gear ( even though it was just going to be D/E'd), the other warlock and the mage both passed on the spirit shoulders because of this.

Yes.

Assuming you have your own stat weights plugged into AMR and aren't just using their defaults, if you're seeing any piece of gear above your own on the relative ranking list, then it's an upgrade in the short-term at the very least.

Basically if you use Spirit gear you're missing out on a secondary stat for that slot, but depending on the amount of int/other secondary stat gained by taking the spirit item, if the int + other secondary stat combined outweigh the secondary stat lost, then it's an upgrade, and it's better to take it than to just watch it get DE'd. If your guild call you stupid for it, just tell them the basic maths (If the number you get is positive, it's an upgrade. Negative = downgrade):

(((int gained * stat weight of int) + (secondary stat gained * stat weight)) - (secondary stat lost * stat weight))

If they still disagree with it, your guild is stupid and it's probably time to move on to a more intelligent group.

Apart from that unclean feeling you get from knowing you're using Spirit gear (the germs!), it's totally fine. Especially so when you first gear up and you go from like... a 460 blue thing to a 496 spirit item. That was a good, yet ambivalent, day!

Go for it, if no Priests need

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember that awkward time during Wrath, when Lifetaping gave spell power equal to 30% of spirit?

Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    Remember that awkward time during Wrath, when Lifetaping gave spell power equal to 30% of spirit?
    Or the awkward moment in Toes when you wanted the spirit ring because there were no other choices ><

Tell your guild its fine.
    Cyner#1996

That was the T7 4 set bonus wasn't it? Casting life tap gave you 300 spirit which fel armor converted to spellpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    That was the T7 4 set bonus wasn't it? Casting life tap gave you 300 spirit which fel armor converted to spellpower.
    I still refused to gear spirit... it felt too dirty.

ofc you should take it, i guess your guild is just homeless tramps with no gold and was desperate for a sha crystal and a spirit of war, and the gold means more to them than you pulling more dps to speed up progress.

honestly total BADS find a better guild soon lol.

Hey guys

Even though it's realistically a minor thing, the answer all boils down to guild culture. Everything is contextual. In an oQueue-formed Flex pug, on Nazgrim I pull my pet off Nazgrim during Defensive stance unless the raid leader has specifically mentioned it's fine; despite knowing it won't give him rage, if the difference between us killing it and us wiping is 90 seconds of pet dps over the course of the fight, we have bigger problems.

Point being: pick your battles. Sure, if it is an overall stat gain for you, of course you should be interested in it. But, not knowing what the protocol for the situation was and there being a pre-existing sentiment in the guild ... I'd have passed on the item and let it get DE'd. If other folks had expressed similar sentiments or at least a "Well, I guess" mentality then yeah I'd have gone for it.

But either way, I'd shoot a whisper or mail to the raid/guild leader and explain your reasoning, if the situation is not explicitly outlined already like somewhere on the guild website.

Either way ... even if they are a big immediate upgrade, eventually you will replace them with something without spirit. The shards might seem like a waste but they will help enchant gear and help someone craft some SoO-level item. If it were a super-massive upgrade, like going from a 463 weapon to a warforged weapon, even with spirit ... then, yeah, as long as the loot system / guild allowed it I'd roll (or whatever) on it as long as no actual Spirit users were going to take it for mainspec, but I'd still pull the officers / gm aside and get the situation clarified.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Two words for you: Demonic Pact.

During Wrath only Demo warlocks and Shamans (i think) gave a spellpower buff. For Demo locks it was 10% of their SP to the rest of the raid. Combine that with the lifetap SP buff and a crap-ton of spirit gear and it was good times. Our healers always hated me constantly stealing their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    I still refused to gear spirit... it felt too dirty.
    uh, spirit was on our tier lol. Spirit for casters wasn't looked at like it is now. It actually had use back then. And if you were a demo lock, you were definitely wearing some spirit pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    ofc you should take it, i guess your guild is just homeless tramps with no gold and was desperate for a sha crystal and a spirit of war, and the gold means more to them than you pulling more dps to speed up progress.

honestly total BADS find a better guild soon lol.
    I have a feeling there is more to the story. I can see it now. It's a ten man guild, they roll for their gear with a "dont be an ass" policy. OP wins spirit shoulders over a healer. Guild bitches. OP tries to justify it. I'm sorry, but if you really believe that they wouldn't give him an upgrade because "it looks bad" then you're being naive.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As the Spell Power bitch back in ICC, Spirit was actually quite attractive.

Hey guys

As a raidleader i support any gear change that will increase your dps

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    As the Spell Power bitch back in ICC, Spirit was actually quite attractive.
    Half my guild hated me for taking the priest healer's gear

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    I have a feeling there is more to the story. I can see it now. It's a ten man guild, they roll for their gear with a "dont be an ass" policy. OP wins spirit shoulders over a healer. Guild bitches. OP tries to justify it. I'm sorry, but if you really believe that they wouldn't give him an upgrade because "it looks bad" then you're being naive.
    Lots of people just doing a quick google search for stat weights, dont see spirit, then assume all stats on spirit gear is useless.
    I remember a rogue going berserk when i rolled need on a 450 spirit staff as warlock...(no, the upgrade from 312 to 450 didnt matter, it was spirit gear so i should not use it)

Edit: healer had already passed when i clicked need
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Those were the times. Having bound a Rank 1 Life Tap so you wouldn't kill yourself during raid damage.

i would never roll need on spirit gear, even if it gets dissed, i just feels like a useless item that i wana change on the first second i get.
    so id rater run around with some 543 parts then need on a spirit ring (well aside from the fact that there are enougth healers/shadows etc that need that sort of crap)

In the end if feel like dissing the item and creating gold for the guild bank (or mats for a usefull item) is way better.
    as long a stat is useless i don't wana use it (expect style gear)

Well good thing spirit gear is totaly useless nowadays :P and luckly blizzard decidided to add enougth offhands/weppons to not feel left out

For dps upgrade, from 496 to 540?553?572? i don't know that you raid, is probably a push even with the useless stat, so i woudn't think to much about it and just hope for a diffrent item soon. and just kinda stick with what you got.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyner View Post
    Or the awkward moment in Toes when you wanted the spirit ring because there were no other choices ><

Tell your guild its fine.
    How about that awkward moment where I got the first one over all the healers?

I'd say go for it long as you dont screw a priest or another healer out of spirit gear if they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    I remember a rogue going berserk when i rolled need on a 450 spirit staff as warlock...(no, the upgrade from 312 to 450 didnt matter, it was spirit gear so i should not use it)

Edit: healer had already passed when i clicked need
    The point of such raging being that a healer can use it better than you, the end. Ofc if nobody else needs feel free to look like an idiot all you want.

If none of your cloth healers need it then there's no reason to not give it to you.

Locks should NEVER get spirit gear over a hybrid/healer though, since the spirit is completely useless beyond the bit of reforging.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana