Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

<Promethean> Exploiting?

Last night <Promethean> of US-Malfurion killed Paragons of the Klaxxi World 19th & 5th US 25 Man.

However, it seems they were cheating but I want more opinions. The exploit is, if you tank Iyyokuk behind a corner and Line Of Sight your raid, he won't cast Fiery Edge on raid members LoS'd. They might have also Line of Sigh'ed Xaril to remove Catalyst from the encounter.

Here is a picture of their World of Logs clearly showing Firery Edge hitting small amount of people i.imgur.com/GHlvn53.png
    Last edited by Azshira; 2013-10-17 at 08:58 PM.

LoS boss mechanics have been around since what BWL? Don't see a problem with this tbh.

Sounds like a tactic and not an exploit tbh. Same thing was done on Firemaw in BWL back in the day, and also on Instructor in naxx in vanilla iirc.

Deleted
    You made this account to post this thread? That is clever usage of game mechanics if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by eadon View Post
    Sounds like a tactic and not an exploit tbh. Same thing was done on Firemaw in BWL back in the day, and also on Instructor in naxx in vanilla iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamHealzu View Post
    LoS boss mechanics have been around since what BWL? Don't see a problem with this tbh.
    Those were nearly 8 years ago. The latest LoS mechanic was Gara'jal done by Team Malice and they were banned for it. The encounter designers clearly didn't intend for you to LoS and completely ignore a boss.

Deleted
    Hardly an exploit by normal standards. If Blizzard can't code LoS into a targeting ability it's not the raiders fault. Getting the floors on Lich King to respawn was an exploit, this wouldn't be imo. Blizzard should maybe hotfix it if it's not intended, but you can't really penalize someone for tanking something out of LoS of the raid.

Nothing more than "Clever use of game mechanics". I don't understand why it matters anyhow, it's not a world first and even then. Why are you so interested in this specific guild and how the defeated a boss?

Also I see you made an account just to create this thread. Why is that? Sounds like a disgruntled player that got benched or something and trying to get back at them.

sounds like OP is the GM of that guild trying to see if what they did was kosher.

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    Also I see you made an account just to create this thread. Why is that? Sounds like a disgruntled player that got benched or something and trying to get back at them.
    or this ^

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it cheating? No, of course not.

Is it "the wrong" way of beating the encounter? Yes, it's obviously not the intended way of beating that encounter and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets hotfixed.
    Last edited by zephid; 2013-10-17 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amiyablelol View Post
    Those were nearly 8 years ago. The latest LoS mechanic was Gara'jal done by Team Malice and they were banned for it. The encounter designers clearly didn't intend for you to LoS and completely ignore a boss.
    If LoS isn't intended why not just removed any object for which could be used to LoS, or as someone else has said, remove the ability for LoS to affect the spell/attack.

How do you know they were LoSing?

If you think it's cheating (and you aren't part of the guild trying to validate it) then let Blizzard know and they'll look into it. If it was an exploit, then they'll get banned. If not, then it's fine.

LoS to completly remove the two hardest part of the fight? Sounds pretty damn exploity. People who says its "clever use of game mechanic", consider Malkorok:
    You can partly remove the debuffs that keeps the raid rooted during bloodrage by rotating Windwalk totems, letting the 4 people run out instead of the entire raid shuffling around. This is clever use of game mechanics.
    Completly stopping the debuffs from spawning, or heck, completly stopping Bloodrage from happening, is not, unless it is done through an ability that a member of the raid brings (remember Durumu and his parasite-debuff things? those could be blocked through grounding totems. Clever use of a game mechanic that shamans bring. BOP during siegecrafter's magnet storm to avoid physical damage? Clever usage of a paladins game mechanic. Standing in a spot or tanking the boss in a place that makes them unable to even hit the raid with their AOE abilities? Not so much).

Quote Originally Posted by Amiyablelol View Post
    The Garajel thing was different from LoS.
    IIRC the players were standing outside of the the gate that comes up, with garajel on the gate itself and he would never use his abilities. That is exploiting.
    Players just standing off in a corner of a room isn't exploiting.

This thread though, someone is butthurt.

I don't think the designers intended for you to skip parts of the fight by using a wall, so it's an exploit. /shrug

Deleted
    Wow, hiding behind a wall is an exploit nowadays? Ban everyone in PvP as well then.

So I raid for promethean and there was no exploit used, If blizzard did not intend for clever solutions to mechanics they wouldnt have designed the room for the encounter with walls that could be used for LoS. Someone is just rustled.
    Last edited by Zedthetank; 2013-10-17 at 04:30 PM.

Is the wall part of the encounter area? If so, then yes it's a use of game mechanics. Boss designers design encounter areas very specifically. Someone might say the the enivronment designers do that but its all done in tandem. the boss encounter guys say they need a room that does xyz and the environment guys deliver.

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

10+ Year Old Account
    Just positioning the boss in a certain way in areas fully reachable by normal means during the course of the fight not blocked off is not an exploit, but still it's probably NOT the intended way to deal with the fight and will get hotfixed.