Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by timehascomeandsohaveI View Post
    I heard the Dutch(and most northern countries) have pretty bland food.

Though I would eat anything on those pictures.
    I think it is more "not spicy", especially the really traditional foods. The Dutch obviously have a lot of "newer" dishes from Indonesia, Surinam etc.

All full of flavour, in particular our candy (we devour liqourice here, or cinnamon sweets). Just not spicy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    I think it is more "not spicy", especially the really traditional foods. The Dutch obviously have a lot of "newer" dishes from Indonesia, Surinam etc.

All full of flavour, in particular our candy (we devour liqourice here, or cinnamon sweets). Just not spicy.
    I like to pimp up al the traditional dutch foods with sambal.
    Sambal, improves everything(prodent smile).

Deleted
    Wow, someone else from Schiedam!

I miss the stroopwafels, frikandel speciaal, drop, speculaasjes, pepernoten and chocolade kruitnoten btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You can get those little pancake things in the Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam. Soooo good because I always seem to pass through that airport first thing in the morning.

I was going to be disappointed if I didn't see french fries with mayonnaise on the list (yuck), but I was not disappointed!
    Whaaaaaaa, fries and mayo is a staple around the world, not just for the dutch. Us canadians love mayo with our fries too! Silly americans, next you'll say honey with french fries is weird

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel free to share your favorite Dutch food.
    We know it ain't healthy but damn it's good.

Deleted
    The problem with a topic about dutch food is that its so hard to pinpoint what is really dutch, as we have had so many influences from old colonies and imigration. Only thing I would truly consider dutch are the "stampots - wether it being boerenkool, hutspot or zuurkool" and the treats like stroopwafel, bitterballen etc. The rice dishes that were linked can be discussed, is it dutch because we have eaten it for centuaries now, or is it still indonesian because it originated there.

The netherlands is a tough topic when it comes to cultural elements haha

Quote Originally Posted by Despite View Post
    The problem with a topic about dutch food is that its so hard to pinpoint what is really dutch, as we have had so many influences from old colonies and imigration. Only thing I would truly consider dutch are the "stampots - wether it being boerenkool, hutspot or zuurkool" and the treats like stroopwafel, bitterballen etc. The rice dishes that were linked can be discussed, is it dutch because we have eaten it for centuaries now, or is it still indonesian because it originated there.

Funny thing is: I wouldn't even consider 'stamppot' to be a real Dutch food... We've been eating food with spices from China hundreds of years before the first potato made its way here. Xa Xiu is a more traditional Dutch food than anything with a potato in...

Edit: Only Dutch Xa Xiu is made with red beets and aniseed, nutmeg foil, honey, seeds of the red pepper (ground down), ground mustard and some other stuff.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-10-17 at 04:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Despite View Post

That is true, though we've been a melting pot for centuries now. Most of our food come from those inlfuences but the question would be would they exist without that melting pot?

oliebollen

bossche bollen

worstenbroodje

Saucijzenbroodje

appelflappen

Limburgse vlaai.

Edit: and of course cheese!

added pictures for the other ones as well to make you guys even more hungry
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2013-10-17 at 05:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timehascomeandsohaveI View Post
    I heard the Dutch(and most northern countries) have pretty bland food.

Though I would eat anything on those pictures.
    Indeed that's the common thought, but Britain and the Netherlands used to have many colonies that produced spices - WW2 rationing killed of their importation until later in the 20th Century.

Gluttony? Look up some Edwardian British cuisine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    Indeed that's the common thought, but Britain and the Netherlands used to have many colonies that produced spices - WW2 rationing killed of their importation until later in the 20th Century.

Gluttony? Look up some Edwardian British cuisine.
    British cuisine? Something like this

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    oliebollen, bossche bollen, worstenbroodje, appelflappen, limburgse vlaai.

Because who doesnt like calorybombs?
    If you go to hell for gluttony, better make sure that your taste buds go to heaven first

Also, the dutch have some really tasty food. It may not all originate from there, but the stuff that has been there for years could be considered nationalized already.

More for op..

At the market or out and about/snakbar - Kroket, Frikandel, Broodje Haring, Kaassouffle

Diner - Andijvie Stamppot, Boerenkool Stamppot, Zuurkool Stammpot

Butchery - Grillworst met Kaas, Gehakatbal op Soesterbal like a large meatball with fried onions on the outside, Saucijzenbroodje

Pastries/seasonal - Oliebollen, Appelbeignet, Tompoes

Not really dutch, Koffiebroodje, Kaneelbroodje, Chocolade Kokosmakron, Appelflap

Turkish or Indonesian inspired cuisine - Nasi Goreng, Bami Pangang, Kip Tandoori, Kip Madras, Broodje Bakpao, Broodje Warm Vlees
    Last edited by Evelyn; 2013-10-17 at 07:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I always thought the Dutch deep fry all their food. Turns out this is right.
    Thats americans.

Also for the gluttons:

Talking bout normal food:

Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2013-10-17 at 07:34 PM.

Erwtensoep is erg lekker!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post
    Boerenkool met worst
    Heh, that was my dinner today.

Deleted
    Gouda Maasdamer Edam
    Totally forgot about cheese until now.

Don't forget that we put chocolate in everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waar zijn de frikadellen?
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

Quote Originally Posted by Sainur View Post
    Waar zijn de frikadellen?
    In post #11