Disclaimer: I personally do not see the need for more 5 man content, but I think this idea is a decent way to fix that problem and also assist with the tank / healer "shortage"
I've heard a lot of complaints from people on the forums stating they would like new 5 Man content per raid patch, or they would like that content to actually be challenging and not be "face roll". I've also heard the reason people do not do Challenge Modes is because it does not actually provide any sort of "reward". If Blizzard intends to go down the path of not releasing new 5 man dungeons for each expansion, I think this idea is a good way to provide "up to date" content for the percentage of player base who do want 5 mans which also provides "current" gear.
Challenge Mode Plus
This mode will be an optional tab under the current Challenge Mode tab. It would have the same mechanics as the current challenge mode, except it will not have a timer and not reward the transmog gear, each boss will drop loot from their respective heroic (463) version of their loot table. This loot would be upgraded per content (raid) patch to be the same ilvl as the current LFR.
Patch 5.2 : Drops 502 ilvl
Patch 5.4: Drops 528 ilvl
This mode could have a 3/4 day CD per dungeon.
- Does not cut into Blizzard development time, as the only new thing they would have to implement is upgraded loot from each boss.
- Gives the player base who enjoy challenging 5 man content something to do while providing rewards.
- It will not "force" normal/heroic raiders to do this content as the items are usually poorly itemized, without sockets, and far from BiS.
- Because of the ratio of 1 tank/1 healer 3 DPS, it might have the effect of increasing more tanks/healers per DPS.
- Tanks / Healers would still want to que for LFR as items with sockets / tier pieces / raid trinkets would still be upgrades to the challenge mode versions.
- Unlike the Timeless Isle gear, you actually have to know how to play the game in order to receive the items.
- People who are unable to actually complete the dungeons will complain they are too hard?
Any feedback is welcome and I will edit to post to add more disadvantages / advantages as they are posted.