Destro 1st spec, Aff 2nd?

Hello Guyz,

I'm really debating whether I should go full Destro like Mastery>Crit>Haste or if I should be going Mastery>Haste(9778)=rest Crit, in order to sustain as well aff spec. Will it affect the Destro spec on single target dps a lot?
    This is the link to my armory.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tisor/advanced
    We have just started heroics, got down last night Immerseus and while on protectors I don't really feel like destro is very competitive relating DPS wise. My opener is like 700K dps, but after a few minutes I get to 300k and can't pass over it. I do like destro on any encounter due to possibility of self sustaining yourself + while having Sacrifice(really helps the healers).
    My question is it worth going Affliction itemization until 9778 Haste? On which bosses should I be using it other than Thok, Paragons or Protectors?\
    Thank you very much for the advises.

Deleted
    well for afflic hitting those haste break points is very helpful and the 9778 Bp is the 1 to reach at the very least IMO. it is worth going after if you use afflic regularly. i would suggest you download reforgelite(if you havent already) and use that to see just how much haste you can get and then gem accordingly, but at your ilvl it should be really close, if not over. what i usually do when i spec afflic from destro is simply a reforge as i reforge out of haste for destro while still having a good portion of haste(18-20% raidbuffed) and into haste for afflic, usually getting around 10k haste. it is perfectly possible to do simply with a reforge now and then. ofc it helps to be able to switch a couple of items out, like changing boots from dark shamans out with boots from galakras.
    Last edited by mmoca748dddcc2; 2013-10-18 at 09:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing with Affliction is that you want to reach the breakpoint without having to reforge or gem into any haste, so I would say stick with destruction until you can reach the breakpoint without reforging mastery --> haste or gem haste and once you have two solid trinkets which affliction is very dependent on. I usually just sit out on Protectors and let our rogue take my spot, once I get either black blood or HC Bindings I will swap spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Affliction is supposed to outdps Destruction on short fights, fights with less than 2-3 adds, high movement fights therefore Id recommend Affliction for: Malkorok, Dark Shamans, General Nazgrim, Thok, Protectors, Paragons, Siegecrafter, Iron Juggernaut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillistrar View Post
    Also, I love your short-temper. Did you know that people like you are the most fun to mess with? Not that I'm doing it. Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazoric View Post
    Interception...
    Is that a like a charge within a charge? :P

Deleted
    From my own experience it's definitely viable going Mastery > Haste to 9778 > Crit > Haste if you plan on switching between Destro and Affliction a lot. We're going to see several posts in the next few days about how it's not optimal, and how you're losing DPS and how you're a filthy casual if you do, but it works just fine, especially at the level you're raiding at.
    I've been able to get that BP with only reforging Crit -> Haste once. Other than that I'm gemming Mastery, reforging to Mastery whenever possible.

Personally, I'm swapping between them as follows (10man):
    -Immerseus H: Destro
    -Protectors H: Aff
    -Norushen H: Aff (adds die fairly slowly in our group)
    -Sha H: Destro
    -Galakras H: Aff if I have to do towers, Destro if I don't
    -Iron Jugg H: Destro
    -Shamans H: I did our kill as Aff since our Ele Shaman/Hunter rape the slimes. Conflag slow isn't needed either due to BrM monk. We had some 'trouble' opening the fight properly with the dogs/wolves staying alive too long. I enjoy building that massive Affliction opener and then just using slimes to regen shards.
    -Nazgrim H: Destro, adds die way too fast here.
    -Malkorok H: Destro (If only because of Ember Tap)

Will see what I do on the remaining bosses. For Normal clears, I run Destro on Spoils, Paragons and Siegecrafter, and Aff on Thok and Garrosh (depending on whether our WW Monk joins, he just SEF the weapons down in time).
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-10-18 at 11:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    From my own experience it's definitely viable going Mastery > Haste to 9778 > Crit > Haste if you plan on switching between Destro and Affliction a lot. We're going to see several posts in the next few days about how it's not optimal, and how you're losing DPS and how you're a filthy casual if you do, but it works just fine, especially at the level you're raiding at.
    Not really Sparkuggz agrees that going Mastery > Haste to 9778 > Crit > Haste is a viable and only a slight dps loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillistrar View Post
    Also, I love your short-temper. Did you know that people like you are the most fun to mess with? Not that I'm doing it. Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazoric View Post
    Interception...
    Is that a like a charge within a charge? :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arioc View Post
    Not really Sparkuggz agrees that going Mastery > Haste to 9778 > Crit > Haste is a viable and only a slight dps loss.
    I see. I assume the community will jump ship then instantly and agree with it. Which is nice

I have been doing mastery > haste 9778 > crit > haste as well I'm usually our top dps doing it that way it works out well for me. However we are still on paragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    I see. I assume the community will jump ship then instantly and agree with it. Which is nice
    Yes, because we all follow what Sparkuggz has to say blindly. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by arioc View Post
    Affliction is supposed to outdps Destruction on short fights, fights with less than 2-3 adds, high movement fights therefore Id recommend Affliction for: Malkorok, Dark Shamans, General Nazgrim, Thok, Protectors, Paragons, Siegecrafter, Iron Juggernaut.
    Played correctly, destro will dominate affliction on paragons, at least on damage that acutally matters. It's for the most part a single target fight with free ember generation from two additional targets (and occasionally adds). RoF is your friend.

Can someone clarify the Mastery> haste 9778. Does this mean stack mastery above all, but if after you have 9778 haste go crit, or should I aim for the 9778 haste first? Im at 85% mastery, but my haste is not 9778. I recently started playing again and have mainly 535 timeless gear. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...sharted/simple
    Last edited by Popesickle; 2013-10-19 at 10:09 PM.

That build is as follows.

Destro: Hit(5100) > Haste(10124) > Mastery > Crit > Haste
    Affli: Hit(5100) > Haste(9778) > Mastery > Haste > Crit

Deleted
    I run Destro/Aff as well and just kept my Aff reforges.
    This is what I "aim" for in reforgelite:
    Hit(5100) > Haste(9778) > Mastery > Haste > Crit

But due to so much haste on gear I've gotten 10734 haste which is nicely above the 10124 breakpoint for the 7th immolate tick and even the 9th during hero (10437 haste).
    I think in future reforges if I happen to get upgrades without haste I'll still aim for the 10124 for 7th immo tick. It's not too much of a change for my aff spec and I like the extra duration for Destro.
    I will however not waste too much time on crit, even if it's better on paper. Simply the ease of getting Chaos Bolts in between run phases makes it worth it to keep Haste at 10k minimum, and in both specs Mastery trumps all so crit will be my dump stat pretty much by default.

As for the spec per boss, what I do now is mostly Destro with just the odd fight Aff. I used to run Aff on single target fights, but honestly Destro is just as good in single target and way more mobile during execute phases. If Bliz fixes Drain Soul to also work with KJC it would be a different story, but as it is without movement on Drain Soul it becomes annoying to borderline useless on several fights. Oh our first Heroic Sha kill I was aff and I just used MF during the whole execute phase because I could not spare a second or two for a Drain Soul tick.
    Most fights where it's a choice it becomes a choice between having your dots tick
    Then again Destro doesn't even come close to Affliction on Protectors, so there is that.

-H Immerseus: Destro for blobs
    -H Protectors: Aff for multidot heaven (I make tons of mistakes and still get 400k dps easy)
    -H Norushen: Destro for adds and cleaving Shadow burns
    -H Sha: Destro. Drain Soul doesn't work with KJC and that final 20% you will not be able to stand still for even a second.
    -H Galakras: Destro for AE mayhem. Also I prefer destro when doing towers
    -H Iron Jugg: Aff. Refresh dots before you get knocked to the other side = win

We're just starting on Heroic Shaman but I'm going Destro there for blobs and Ember Tap.

Current normals:
    - Shaman: Aff for 2-target dot madness. Blobs die really fast already so no need for Destro
    - Nazgrim: Toss up. Whatever spec I fancy. Destro is nice for adds, totems/banners and cleaving burns, Aff is ice for dots to tick during defensive stance.
    - Malkorok: Toss up. Doesn't really matter as both specs are equally strong single target on this fight. On heroic probably Destro to help with heals.
    - Spoils: Destro for AE and cleaving burns. Stuff dies too fast for Aff
    - Thok: Destro as Fel Flame isn't much of a dps loss and still builds embers durint the interrupts. On Heroic also for self heals probably. If you can time it well you can run a very effective Aff here, especially during kiting phase where the dino runs out of range but dots still tick.
    - Siegecrafter: Aff when not doing conveyor belt. Destro if I do. With the tank add you basically have 2 targets most of the fight for multidot goodness. On heroic it's probably Destro for burst on mines and selfheals.
    - Klaxxi: Destro for effective dps (aff for meterhogging).
    - Garrosh: Destro. Quick burns for realms, quick burns for sha-lings, quick burns for MC. Go Aff if you want to hear the healers rage when you swap a set of dots on a MCed player.