Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
... LastLast
  1. #161
    I never complained about Panda's. I find them no more childish then I find Tauren, Gnomes or Elves.

    I honestly don't really seen anything Anime overload-ish in Pandaria either.

    I just hate MoP because I hate the Asian theme. I perfectly understand that some people dig it. And that is fine. But myself and many others liked WoW because it was always grounded in Western Fantasy. Orcs and Dwarfs, Hordes and Grand Alliances, Undead and Elves, Sword, steampunk and Magic, Winged Dragons, Pantheons and Old Gods.

    Asian influences were there, but they were subtle and fit the grand scheme of things. Night elf architecture, Mongol horde thing of the Orcs.

    For me every single Asian themed building in MoP is an epic eyesore. I fucking hate the Shrine, Panda villages, Jade temple, and that lame ass Wall. I do sort of like Shado-Pan monastery.

    This is why I think that creating an entire expansion around Asian themes was an epic mistake. One zone like Timeless Isle and a starting area for the Pandaren would have been more then sufficient.

    So far 5.4 is my favorite patch, because it has the least of the Asian theme stuff, and the most of the essence of WoW. Epic fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Sexual assault is not always rape.
    *slowclap*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Woman rapes a guy, gives birth to child and has custody of the child.
    I don't see why you should take the child from the woman unless she abuses it.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    Immature young or older people is the reason why Mists of Pandaria didn't "fit" the World of Warcraft universe, in their mind.

    You understand that it's not really mature to say "Oh gosh, that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs movie is so childish, so cartoonish! Geez!".

    So my point is, it's quite funny when some people have the urge and need to say something that is cartoonish, is childish. ~ Because saying that itself, is childish.

    A mature mind understands there is quite many flavors, and it's all artwork to be judged by yourself only, so if you don't like it. Doesn't mean it's bad or childish, it might be because you don't understand it or simply doesn't like it. And that's fine.

    How you act, can be childish.
    How someone portray art cannot be childish as it's not a matter of behavior in the art.
    If you simple don't agree or like the art, you are the one that is left outside of understanding or appreciating the art.

    That doesn't mean anything, but quite often.. immature young or older people believe it means something..
    As like they have found the holy grail.. that they understand something.. that no one else understands..
    When it's quite the opposite. Thank you! Now I hope we can learn something from this.
    You know, older Disney films are alot less immature and childish than MoP, especially Snow White. That's a film about jealousy, death, murder and love. When it was made it was considered avant-garde to handle themes such as that in a "children's" hand-drawn film. Its first screening was also mostly for grown ups, including film history wizards such as Sergei Eisenstein who called it the best film ever made. I don't think anyone would describe it in the way you did.

    And it's not like the people who didn't think MoP fit are against it because it's cartoonish, WoW is and has always been cartoonish, it's the general theme and art design that's the issue, some people don't like it when the entire expansion is modeled on china. There's also the fact that instead of making pandaren look "cool" they were made to be comic relief, there's really no point in denying that. And go ahead and spam all the races already in the game that are so un-serious, talking cows etc, but take another look, there's a significant difference in art-style between every previous WoW race and the pandaren.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Maybe you should study teens and their interests?

    And I have countered that by saying the younger audience (except for Khalltusk's niece) enjoys stuff like zombies and undead (WotLK) and demons (TBC) over Pandaren.
    So you are saying that they shifted the target audience by including things that the average (Happy, Khalltusk?) member of that audience doesn't like?

    That younger audience consists mostly out of early-pubescent teens.
    Raging hormons and panda's do not blend well.

    So unless you can prove that the average age of the WoW-player dropped massively you don't actually have an argument?
    Good to know!

    Silly me.
    I always thought they were asking themselves how they can increase the rate of new players while slow down the departure of old players.
    Apparently they are only caring about "Is our game childish or not?".
    Yeh im happy although you can leave out the lippy attitude though.

    Just a thought (one I've said a few times) the game certainly has a more family friendly look to it on the box art. A lot of people play the game would have kids and I do know a fair few whos own kids play the game with them. It would not surprise me to think that the game does cater to some younger audience members in addition to the teen/adult audience anyway.

  4. #164
    "Talking cows" is not a legitimate comparison as Tauren are quite clearly Warcraft's version of Minotaurs. Same with Worgen obviously being werewolves. Neither of them are anthropomorphized cartoon animals like the Pandaren are.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Yeh im happy although you can leave out the lippy attitude though.

    Just a thought (one I've said a few times) the game certainly has a more family friendly look to it on the box art. A lot of people play the game would have kids and I do know a fair few whos own kids play the game with them. It would not surprise me to think that the game does cater to some younger audience members in addition to the teen/adult audience anyway.
    So funny that some people find that the sole reason for the decline in subs must be Pandas. It has nothing to do with convenience features and decline in community or something like that. It has nothing to do with the boring dailies. It has nothing to do with blizzard claiming it is really casual friendly when in fact it is not if you want to have a decent character/be in a decent (casual raiding)guild.

    I react to you tho bro because atleast with you I can have a reasonable conversation. Not because you disagree or something

    edit: I am also not claiming that the theme this expansion had no impact on subs. But even tho no one has numbers, I very very much doubt that this is the biggest or one of the biggest reasons.

  6. #166
    I just came back to WoW after a 3.5 year absense mostly because of the pandas. Im 44 years old and WoW finally looked interesting again. My wife saw me leveling a panda and thought it was cute so she started playing again. All the snobs on here crack me up, it's a VIDEO GAME, enjoy it or don't play but to sit on here and piss and moan about pandas being in the game is comical, in my humble, old aged opinion.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by evansp View Post
    I just came back to WoW after a 3.5 year absense mostly because of the pandas. Im 44 years old and WoW finally looked interesting again. My wife saw me leveling a panda and thought it was cute so she started playing again. All the snobs on here crack me up, it's a VIDEO GAME, enjoy it or don't play but to sit on here and piss and moan about pandas being in the game is comical, in my humble, old aged opinion.
    yay finally some words of wisdom

  8. #168
    Epic! Miuku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by evansp View Post
    Im 44 years old and WoW finally looked interesting again.
    Nowadays we have people in the 30s and 40s who think anime characters are sexy and buy little sparkling ponies.

    I wouldn't put much value on age, maturity and taste going hand in hand any more.

    Quote Originally Posted by evansp View Post
    but to sit on here and piss and moan
    Last I checked you didn't run or own this place so as far as I am concerned, as long as the admins don't lock the thread, we can talk about our opinions on the matter until the cows come home.

    If you have a problem with it, don't click the thread.
    Last edited by Miuku; 2013-10-18 at 12:11 PM.
    :: We are cows - proud and true. Come on Tauren - Moo Moo Moo!

  9. #169
    I just dont like the whole Oriental theme, it has nothing to do with Pandas. I just prefer the whole Western Europe medieval style.

  10. #170
    Mechagnome Tacotruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pattaya, Thailand
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    That's not true at all, since while Chen exists in "The Frozen Throne", Pandaren (and Pandaria, which had no presence whatsoever in Warcraft 3) as a whole were not implemented into "World of Warcraft" until after Kung Fu Panda was released.

    The concept existed; the execution did not. If you think Kung Fu Panda had no influence on "Mists of Pandaria", you're out of your mind. Just look at the Pandaren art design or their racials, namely "Epicurean" and "Bouncy". I do not believe for a moment that Blizzard did not pull those from the movie, considering they are Po's dominant character attributes.
    The lore existed, therefore the Pandaren existed. Sure some stuff from more recent pop culture came into play for the final implementation, that is nothing new with Blizz. All of the races have their pop culture influences that came along after their original introduction.
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    And here is a example on how you all argue.
    All of you argue or try to make a point - if the ice cream existed before the other ice cream, it's all flavours.
    Sunlight might make you feel real joy, sunlight might make you feel real sad, it's.. about you..

    And everything in this world can't be about you.. it just is, what it is.. you accept, you do what you do..
    Personal is personal, keep it personal.

    Quite tired to see people argue 71 pages about flavor that will never go anywhere, all you will get by it is agree's and disagree's from people.
    This is a forum. Discussing/debating is what people do here. Just because they don't agree with you or don't argue in the way you want doesn't make you right. And per an earlier post of yours, if this is a reaction to a thread, you'd be better off replying to said thread. If people think your point is worth replying to, they will. You don't have to make a new thread just because nobody saw your reply.

  12. #172
    Old God Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    10,537
    asorry wrong thread :P

    had like 5 threads open >.<
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-10-18 at 01:00 PM.

  13. #173
    Like us 30-40 year olds don't put much value on a bunch of children holding their breath and whining about panda bears being in a made up video game and like you said if YOU have a problem with MY opinion don't click the thread.......

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    This is a forum. Discussing/debating is what people do here. Just because they don't agree with you or don't argue in the way you want doesn't make you right. And per an earlier post of yours, if this is a reaction to a thread, you'd be better off replying to said thread. If people think your point is worth replying to, they will. You don't have to make a new thread just because nobody saw your reply.
    There is a difference between people attacking you as a person because they feel that your points isn't valid, well.. Guess what, people have their own opinions.. And to have people focus directly on making it "I feel this way like most people!" "And you are wrong." That's not discussing. That's just trying to dominate each other with quotes and dominance? Cus taste is taste, so why not try to make little more out of the conversation, right.

    So many people use "Pandaren look like Kung Fu Panda" is so childish, oh my god. Warcraft is like dark and evil universe, doesn't fit.
    Gnomes are way fluffy cuddly silly than Pandaren can ever be. I don't see anyone go bananas over them, well that's because it's not fresh anymore.
    Way way before, people used childish for Gnomes, they didn't like them.

    I just think discussing things like that is childish as it's not very interesting to read people quote different people and trying to turn someones personal feeling over. It's a difference. Perhaps people should try to agree to disagree and actually make points that they want in a less raging manner or attacking of the other persons personal opinion.

    A lot of times lately there have been just "no, that's wrong!" "I'm right, you are wrong cus of that and that" discussions. When both of them are right in their own head space.
    Last edited by Gnome; 2013-10-18 at 12:38 PM.

  15. #175
    Mechagnome drake741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stormwind
    Posts
    584
    I think people are dense if they see zero plot value in Mists, and just say "pandas lol" as if that's all that needs to be said. A race that was raised by slavery and overcame external oppressors only to be beaten by their inner demons and sealed away from the world until a Demi-god nearly tore the planet apart and revealed their existence to the sound of war horns on their shores doesn't sound dumb to me.

    Oh they look like a cartoon? What SHOULD they look like? The rules are you must anthropomorphize some creature with 2 genders that isn't already in lore and isn't an elf, human, green ugly human, cow/bull, goblin, wolf, dwarf, or any other currently existing race. One more thing, it has to follow a theme that can carry through over a year of content (except for a gratuitous troll theme dungeon/expansion) and can fit into currently existing lore and the previous games.

    Yeah, I came up with pandas too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    That's not true at all, since while Chen exists in "The Frozen Throne", Pandaren (and Pandaria, which had no presence whatsoever in Warcraft 3) as a whole were not implemented into "World of Warcraft" until after Kung Fu Panda was released.

    The concept existed; the execution did not. If you think Kung Fu Panda had no influence on "Mists of Pandaria", you're out of your mind. Just look at the Pandaren art design or their racials, namely "Epicurean" and "Bouncy". I do not believe for a moment that Blizzard did not pull those from the movie, considering they are Po's dominant character attributes.
    He's totally right, guys. There are NO pop culture references in WoW before this expansion and its a ripoff!
    "I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    So funny that some people find that the sole reason for the decline in subs must be Pandas. It has nothing to do with convenience features and decline in community or something like that. It has nothing to do with the boring dailies. It has nothing to do with blizzard claiming it is really casual friendly when in fact it is not if you want to have a decent character/be in a decent (casual raiding)guild.

    I react to you tho bro because atleast with you I can have a reasonable conversation. Not because you disagree or something

    edit: I am also not claiming that the theme this expansion had no impact on subs. But even tho no one has numbers, I very very much doubt that this is the biggest or one of the biggest reasons.
    WHY YOU QUOTE ME RAGGE etc ;D

    yeh the theme may or may not have affected subs but the things that certainly did were in game. Dailies were a pet hate of mine and according to the devs were not the most popular thing either.

  17. #177
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,767
    The whole game is meant to look "cartoonish" so I always found it quite amusing that people complained about Pandaren looking "cartoonish" really.

    I still can't believe that people don't understand that the Pandaren and Pandaria ARE NOT MEANT TO FIT with all existing WoW aesthetics/lore. They've been hidden away for 10,000 years and had no other influences to change their direction in life. Of course things are going to be fucking different. I fail to see how this is so difficult for people to understand. Well, except those people that were either just looking for some shit reason to finally stop playing or those just looking to QQ at the latest thing.

    Nothing in MoP is MEANT to fit with the rest of Azeroth. And that's the problem a lot of people have. They're too stuck up and living in the past of WC3 to open their minds a little and be accepting of new things. I've seen several people state that because MoP lore "wasn't in WC3, it isn't real WoW lore". I mean, get a fucking grip. If you're that close-minded about the story of a game that naturally has to evolve it's lore and introduce new things eventually anyway, you're not really playing for the story.

    If Kung Fu Panda had never been released, most of you wouldn't have a single issue with MoP. You can argue that all you like but it's true. When MoP was announced, the biggest bee in people's bonnets and the most mentioned thing was that it looked like Kung Fu Panda. Whether the Pandaren started out as a joke or not means sweet FA. Blizzard literally wrote 10,000 years worth of lore them. And that made them both canon to the story and legitimate additions to WoW/Warcraft.

    People are too used the the world ready to end in every expansion, imo. Apparently that makes the game mature somehow.

    Rarely updated...

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    There is a difference between people attacking you as a person because they feel that your points isn't valid, well.. Guess what, people have their own opinions.. And to have people focus directly on making it "I feel this way like most people!" "And you are wrong." That's not discussing. That's just trying to dominate each other with quotes and dominance? Cus taste is taste, so why not try to make little more out of the conversation, right.

    So many people use "Pandaren look like Kung Fu Panda" is so childish, oh my god. Warcraft is like dark and evil universe, doesn't fit.
    Gnomes are way fluffy cuddly silly than Pandaren can ever be. I don't see anyone go bananas over them, well that's because it's not fresh anymore.
    Way way before, people used childish for Gnomes, they didn't like them.

    I just think discussing things like that is childish as it's not very interesting to read people quote different people and trying to turn someones personal feeling over. It's a difference. Perhaps people should try to agree to disagree and actually make points that they want in a less raging manner or attacking of the other persons personal opinion.

    A lot of times lately there have been just "no, that's wrong!" "I'm right, you are wrong cus of that and that" discussions. When both of them are right in their own head space.
    I'm going to get out of this thread now. You use the same methods of argument that you're condemning. This thread won't go anywhere useful. Best of luck to you, friend.

  19. #179
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I always thought they were asking themselves how they can increase the rate of new players while slow down the departure of old players.
    Apparently they are only caring about "Is our game childish or not?".
    U truly r missing the point by miles...

    This thread is about how childish the game is percieved, thats what we are discussing... the childishness or adultness of MoP.

    The OP has made a point he doesnt think the cartoony style of MoP is childish at all... most people in this thread are disagreeing, me being one of them. The game is clearly targetted at a younger audience than it ever has been in the past, only the ignorant refuse to see it.

  20. #180
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    14,210
    I don't get the theme rage... I cannot see what is wrong with the "Asian / Panda theme", when ever since Vanilla WoW the game revolved around various themes of mankind's history. And from the beginning this was not limited to European History. Tauren are North American, Trolls are South American. Blizzard grabs keystones of our human cultures and integrates them into the game as zones. Zangarmarsh was a homage to YES (the band). Or better say, to Roger Dean, the artist who painted the pictures.
    When you are a few years older, and know the band and it's album covers, when you know Roger Deans works, you get boosted into a completely unexpected feeling. All of a sudden you are in an entire virtual zone, that looks like the album covers. And you find it all over Outland actually...

    Looks similar?

    and
    http://www.waihekeradio.org.nz/files...s_Pathways.jpg
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •