Page 1 of 19
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Arrow Immature young or older people is the reason why Mists of Pandaria didn't "fit"..

    Immature young or older people is the reason why Mists of Pandaria didn't "fit" the World of Warcraft universe, in their mind.

    You understand that it's not really mature to say "Oh gosh, that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs movie is so childish, so cartoonish! Geez!".

    So my point is, it's quite funny when some people have the urge and need to say something that is cartoonish, is childish. ~ Because saying that itself, is childish.

    A mature mind understands there is quite many flavors, and it's all artwork to be judged by yourself only, so if you don't like it. Doesn't mean it's bad or childish, it might be because you don't understand it or simply doesn't like it. And that's fine.

    How you act, can be childish.
    How someone portray art cannot be childish as it's not a matter of behavior in the art.
    If you simple don't agree or like the art, you are the one that is left outside of understanding or appreciating the art.

    That doesn't mean anything, but quite often.. immature young or older people believe it means something..
    As like they have found the holy grail.. that they understand something.. that no one else understands..
    When it's quite the opposite. Thank you! Now I hope we can learn something from this.
    Last edited by Gnome; 2013-10-18 at 08:14 AM.

  2. #2
    Stood in the Fire Zenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    406
    MoP fits perfectly. Quit conversing with idiots and the world will be a better place.

  3. #3
    When there is something you do not like for anyone reason.
    You're then the outsider.

    a) Then you can choose say that you really do not like it because it does not fit your style.

    b) Or you can say you do not like it because it's completely wrong, it's childish, the game is broken.


    Now only one of these two answers are childish. And none of the answers are correct as it's a personal answer, only one person in the world know the correct answer, yourself. And that personal correct answer, is only correct, for yourself. You might find someone who feel the same way, but you can't discuss and justify your personal answer to be rightful for everyone else.

    All you can do is, agree\disagree, no one will ever change their mind, as it's all personal answer. Got it?

    * This is a reaction to the "MoP isn't a bad expansion, it just doesn't fit WoW. « 1 2 3 ... 71 » 71 pages?"
    Last edited by Gnome; 2013-10-18 at 08:20 AM.

  4. #4
    It was a whimsical aside.

    I think that is more the sentence people are looking for when they say cartoonish.

    I'm glad they tried something different, even if it was not something I was particularly in to. I think they have learned a lot from this expansion and I fully expect the next one to be amazing as a result. Hopefully paring a solid theme as compelling as BC or WOTLK with the storytelling systems they have developed in Mists.

  5. #5
    I personally don't think the reason for players finding MoP not fitting is the artwork at all. There is nothing wrong with the artwork.
    I think wow evolved on it's own path in a quite original way. We where demons, dealing with aspects, dragons and all kind of threats.

    MoP came with Panda's (or how some prefer it: Pandaren).
    How much someone argues that these Pandaren have nothing to do KungFu Panda, if you just take a look at the whole thing, it is a copy.
    Don't think about it, just look.

    Most players where just amazed at the fact that the pandaren walked into their lore. They had a feeling that they where a part of that lore, although lore is nothing but fairytales, nothing more, nothing less. But the way it was organized, it provided some basis for a lot of players to feel a part of it and do something in Azeroth and the whole wow-universe. And then all of a sudden, the panda came, based on a cartoon made for children, although adults also like it, it is based on the minds of children.

    For the players who are living in Azeroth, this didn't fell well because seeing the pandaren and seeing the monk, Poo comes to mind.

    I know, a walking and talking cow, a gnome, a goblin with everything that's explodes does sound childish....but the thing is, looking at those you don't think of anything else but wow; those are things that only exists in the wow-universe; there are no references outside the wow-universe. For the Pandaren, this is different: it refers to something outside the wow-universe to something made for children.

    Why didn't these arguments came up when we met Dr. Jones in Uldum? Also a copy paste, right? Still nothing there.... and I think that is because Indiana Jones copy is contained within limits while the Pandaren will be there forever; they are player-chars so we can't leave m behind. The other thing is, nobody thinks Indiana Jones was made for children while Poo was.

    So, it is not about the art work........ it is about the feeling people have towards something they spend 9 years (or less) time in, spend money in and spend effort developing a character, making name and so on so on. People have battled scourge, killed the Lich King, came to discover one of the aspects is going mad, battled him and killed him..... to achieve what? Being thrown around by KungFu Panda, saying "take it easy, life is to be savoured"..... what would have happened if we took it easy with Deathwing? With Lk? Just sit down, have a beer and see what happens?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nungamunch View Post
    It was a whimsical aside.

    I think that is more the sentence people are looking for when they say cartoonish.

    I'm glad they tried something different, even if it was not something I was particularly in to. I think they have learned a lot from this expansion and I fully expect the next one to be amazing as a result. Hopefully paring a solid theme as compelling as BC or WOTLK with the storytelling systems they have developed in Mists.
    You didn't get my point. That's okey.

    If anyone found the Mists of Pandaria expansion playful or light, *hate to repeat myself* ..
    But it's a personal answer, you can feel and say whatever you want about Mists of Pandaria expansion.
    All you will get back is people either agree or disagree, but in the process, people argue and try to make points.

    When there is no points or matter of opinion that is true.

    Because what is true? The truth is what YOU see, what YOU feel, what YOU think.
    So to argue, make topics about "why" something doesn't fit in a game is just madness. Madness.

    Now I think that the Mists of Pandaria expansion was the most dark, grim and lovely story telling that we have gotten so far.
    But that's just me sharing my opinion There is no facts or no points that I could leave in this post that could "argue" over that I am right.

    So repeating myself, people are immature about the Mists of Pandaria expansion because they think they can argue over if they are correct or not. When they cannot, as it's a personal answer for everyone to know, to feel, about specific things like this, yeah.

    We are not discussing the difficulty setting of a raid.
    We are discussing the flavor of a ice cream, the taste of a juice, the opinion of how you feel when you see the morning light shine.
    P-e-r-s-o-n-a-l flavor, taste, feeling on Mists of Pandaria subject.

    So discussing the difficulty setting is different as it's matter of comfort and not how it taste.
    It's either easy or hard.

    But discussing Mists of Pandaria theme is quite far more complex and goes into the "flavor of a ice cream, the taste of a juice, the opinion of how you feel when you see the morning light shine" area.
    Last edited by Gnome; 2013-10-18 at 08:36 AM.

  7. #7
    Personally, I blame male Pandaren. I dont hate them because they are childish, I hate them because they look so goddamn stupid standing next to every other race in the game.

    Impossible to take seriously, especially with a track record like Lorewalker Cho's and Taran Zhu's. Taoshi could whoop the fat out of both of their asses at the same time with one arm tied behind her back blindfolded.

    I mean yeah, I don't really nerd out on your lore or anything, I see what is placed in front of me. Which is presented to us all with some of the shittiest tools available to a company that develops the most popular MMO in the world. Which mostly consists of Pandas being a form of comic relief.

    Harsh, but true.

  8. #8
    That is your error right there, Pandaren existed way before Kung-Fu Panda.

    I still can't believe people make a big deal out of this 2 years later when we have talking cows in the game.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    That doesn't mean anything, but quite often.. immature young or older people believe it means something..
    I challenge u to a more realistic point...

    A typical adult gamer goes into a videogame shop to buy a game, he doesnt know what he wants so hes going to browse the shelves. Lets say he has no knowledge of games around at the time and going to buy purely on what appeals to him in the store...

    I can assure u that a game with a kungfu panda on the cover is not going to appeal to him much, hes gonna buy something that looks far more grownup and more designed to cater for his grownup taste. We could even argue that the Wrath of the Lich King cover is much more appealing to him... but cartoon pandas? come on guys be honest lol

    The point is that grownups will only buy the kungfu panda cover cos they know what the game is, and impulsive/instinctive purchase by a grownup then its unlikely Mists will get picked up off the shelf.

    Its this point which means its totally fair to say that this expansion has been aimed at a younger audience than previous expansions.

  10. #10
    Brewmaster Miuku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post
    MoP fits perfectly. Quit conversing with idiots and the world will be a better place.
    When a joke becomes an expansion, does the entire game become a joke?
    :: We are cows - proud and true. Come on Tauren - Moo Moo Moo!



    :: Proud member of the "White supremacist capitalist patriarchy" ::

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    I personally don't think the reason for players finding MoP not fitting is the artwork at all. There is nothing wrong with the artwork.
    I think wow evolved on it's own path in a quite original way. We where demons, dealing with aspects, dragons and all kind of threats.

    MoP came with Panda's (or how some prefer it: Pandaren).
    How much someone argues that these Pandaren have nothing to do KungFu Panda, if you just take a look at the whole thing, it is a copy.
    Don't think about it, just look.
    I honestly for the love of GOD don't understand people like yourself. Yes it LOOKS like KUNGFU PANDA. You know why? Because when WCIII TFT was made (and Kungfu Panda was not yet aired) Chen Stormstout (playable hero) looked like Kungfu Panda, which wasn't aired yet.

    How is this possible?? (And how many ways do you want a fucking PANDA to look?) They are:
    1. fat
    2. since they are fat they tend to like food (altho real panda's only seem to eat one type of plantfood) and drink
    3. since this is an ASIAN type of setting as hey... Panda's come from ASIA - they are trained in martial arts (one form or another)

    Yeah SIMILARITIES are inevitable.... let me take the time to say this: DUUUUUUUH

    edit: I can say the same thing you say about Pandaren en Kungfu Panda for Bravestar. "I think Blizzard just wanted the druid to be Marshal Bravestar, they have the strength of the bear, the speed of the puma (panther) and the well not quite Eyes of the Hawk" (and the ears of the Wolf, which must mean the Worgen Curse, which came from the druids). It is obviously not like that.
    -----------------
    altho I could probably slap myself in the face with this "Duh" because I still feel that the battle pets are pokémon. But thats another chapter.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-10-18 at 08:46 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    That is your error right there, Pandaren existed way before Kung-Fu Panda.

    I still can't believe people make a big deal out of this 2 years later when we have talking cows in the game.
    And here is a example on how you all argue.
    All of you argue or try to make a point - if the ice cream existed before the other ice cream, it's all flavours.
    Sunlight might make you feel real joy, sunlight might make you feel real sad, it's.. about you..

    And everything in this world can't be about you.. it just is, what it is.. you accept, you do what you do..
    Personal is personal, keep it personal.

    Quite tired to see people argue 71 pages about flavor that will never go anywhere, all you will get by it is agree's and disagree's from people.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    That is your error right there, Pandaren existed way before Kung-Fu Panda.

    I still can't believe people make a big deal out of this 2 years later when we have talking cows in the game.
    This is true but bears no weight, because the simple fact is that nobody refers to those pandaren... everybody who sees the pandaren, thinks of KungFu panda.....
    Now, maybe if they where portrait differently, but they aren't. Physically they resemble kungfu panda more that a heroic race from which era whatsoever.

  14. #14
    Dreadlord Prancing Minstrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    813
    You're trying very hard to sound mature and intelligent, when all you're really saying is that it's subjective. We know it is.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    I challenge u to a more realistic point...

    A typical adult gamer goes into a videogame shop to buy a game, he doesnt know what he wants so hes going to browse the shelves. Lets say he has no knowledge of games around at the time and going to buy purely on what appeals to him in the store...

    I can assure u that a game with a kungfu panda on the cover is not going to appeal to him much, hes gonna buy something that looks far more grownup and more designed to cater for his grownup taste. We could even argue that the Wrath of the Lich King cover is much more appealing to him... but cartoon pandas? come on guys be honest lol

    The point is that grownups will only buy the kungfu panda cover cos they know what the game is, and impulsive/instinctive purchase by a grownup then its unlikely Mists will get picked up off the shelf.

    Its this point which means its totally fair to say that this expansion has been aimed at a younger audience than previous expansions.
    You now judge entire audience to be young audience, because your PERSONAL FEELING\OPINION is that of Kung fu Panda to be for younger audience. While for me, Kung Fu Panda is one of the best movies I've seen and I'm quite old.

    You do the mistake by thinking what you feel about something, is what everyone at your age feel.
    There is millions of people in this world. Cut the crap with imagining that TASTE is that simple that it is belonged to a certain AGE.

  16. #16
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,977
    You cannot please everyone.

    But everyone pretnents to know why something or other works or doesn't work. Unfortunately we no longer need to supply facts or data for our opinions. But I guess that would be asking too much on a forum anyhow.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  17. #17
    Legendary! Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    6,157
    I'm really shocked the story wasn't far better, they gave themseleves a blank slate to work on, come up with any idea they want, and they go with a mishmash of terrible plot ideas including "Oh, Garrosh is now evil because.... Well, the Alliance 'needs a win' (yes, I know about Wrath too)"

    Seriously, the plot felt embarrassing to play through, a complete pander (no pun intended) to some of vocal minority of Alliance players.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancing Minstrel View Post
    You're trying very hard to sound mature and intelligent, when all you're really saying is that it's subjective. We know it is.
    Can't blame a person for trying to enlighten the people. Specially when you have 71 pages of discussing how Mists of Pandaria doesn't fit in the Warcraft universe.

    I'm actually surprised that specific topic isn't locked.

    Might as well have a discussion on how Gnomes doesn't fit in the Warcraft universe as they are little santa clauses and jolly feelgood tiny pink creatures.
    Last edited by Gnome; 2013-10-18 at 08:49 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    This is true but bears no weight, because the simple fact is that nobody refers to those pandaren... everybody who sees the pandaren, thinks of KungFu panda.....
    Now, maybe if they where portrait differently, but they aren't. Physically they resemble kungfu panda more that a heroic race from which era whatsoever.
    So it was wrong of Blizzard to keep with tradition of its own invention of the Pandaren race? Because of "Kungfu Panda" they should have abandoned it?

    I also feel that many people just went with the "Kungfu Panda" crap because it became popular to say so. Just like Pokémon battle pets.

  20. #20
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    I challenge u to a more realistic point...

    A typical adult gamer goes into a videogame shop to buy a game, he doesnt know what he wants so hes going to browse the shelves. Lets say he has no knowledge of games around at the time and going to buy purely on what appeals to him in the store...

    I can assure u that a game with a kungfu panda on the cover is not going to appeal to him much,....
    How is that "more realistic"?

    A) Can you really escape the commercials and news around a new WoW x-pac
    B) Obviously he won't pick it up, because it is the 5th installment that doesn't run without buying a battle chest and Cata on top (okay, now you get Cata in that battle chest, too)

    That aside, none of us has a clue how many brandnew gamers are attracted every x-pac, how many are returning and how many are veterans. And on top of that, pretty much none of us has a clue how advertising really works for a specifically targeted audience.

    Hell...car adverts..do they target drivers? Some certainly do, others target kids, because there are enough stupid parents who seriously involve their kid in discussions what car to buy.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •