Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Maybe I just liked the buildup more in that expansion than the past couple. Plus the end boss wasn't totally awful like deathwing and garrosh.
    Deathwing was handled poorly. That is universally accepted. Garrosh will never be as appealing as Arthas. That is just a certainty but for "Fresh on the spot lore" the succeded marvelously with MoP.

If Firelands had been bigger, and Dragon soul was a raid worthy raid finale on the STRONG foundation that the ENTIRE REVAMPED WORLD and huge fantastic intro tier the expac launched strong with. We would have a very different tune playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    I liked TOGC raid better, Onyxia-style.
    Straight to bosses, no trash & the fights themselves were pretty fun. Only thing that sucked hard were the armor designs for that tier.
    Overuse of model with slight alterations here & there, & the dammed recolors, ugh.
    ToGC will ALWAYS stand out as the raid that took the place of what COULD have been the Azjol Nerub raid. It was a colossal failure that came months too early and should of just been a side tournament daily hub and 5 man only. Azjol SHOULD of happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Back when healing was just a mindless spam because mana never mattered? (we basically had the same as a dps rotation) Indeed it was fun, but far too easy and I am glad they fixed it in Cata.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Naxx and the 5 mans did (at a far fetch late TBC did). Just because you went back in a group to do the Ulduar achievements in ICC gear didn't make them cool.

- - - Updated - - -

You should pay more attention to the quests then. It's funny that you call them nostalgia trolls. Plus to show how much of an idiot you are, to this date, they have only sold one guy on the box since wotlk, and we all pretty much agree that they ruined a great character like Deathwing.
    Everything you said got lost when you called me an idiot. this ring a bell? http://www.thetanooki.com/wp-content...TA_3D_D_FR.jpg Also the only reason they didnt put garrosh on the box is because they were trying to sell the pandas but after blizzcon you already knew you were gonna kill garrosh. So they still sold the big bad guy without having to put him on the box.

Also don't get me wrong Barnabas <3 I loved the TBC and Wrath buildup to the raids too. Cata DID work but it felt kinda.... disjointed... MoP story threads are all over the place but they give u good indicators for the Heart of Fear/ Throne of Thunder raids. I guess you can say the storylines played out and 5.1 was the major buildup towards SoO.

Overall I think it worked well because in all these instances I always understood who the factions were that I was fighting against. This was pretty hard to follow in Cata with the MANY factions within the old god's fold.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first three things that come to mind on why I always remember Ulduar so fondly: Firefighter, Knock-Knock-Knock on wood, and Alone in the Darkness.

Some of the best fights ever designed in WoW. Better than Anything Vanilla had (minus original 4h, and Heigan the Unclean), TBC.. sure Kael'thas looked cool transitioning, but the fight itself wasn't very glamorous. SWP had some cool bosses, but nothing memorable mechanically speaking. Ulduar brought something truly unique in terms of game mechanics (seige warfare), variety of hardmode activation (fuck this drop menu bullshit), boss approach (you couldn't do Freya on hardmode the same way you did in on normal), unique boss encounter mechanics (vezax with his "no base/potion mana regen", thorim's "aura of cerelity" M/C game),and just generally memorable boss encounters... EVERYONE remembers firefighters, and all levels on Yogg-saron. Sartharion 3D share's some of these traits.. but not all (lava wall will always make people think bad thoughts)..

Naxx40 at lv 70 was harder than Naxx 10/25 ever were.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I think the main reason people fondly remember it is because they never had a chance to get sick of it - ToC came out about 3.5 months after Ulduar was released
    yep 2 soon.
    blizz could have waited for an other month with it easy.

I was a casual, I just didn't have time to raid (working 2 jobs) but when I was free like an hour or so I was always able to still Raid in Ulduar, the first four encounters were very casual friendly, the Flame Lev. Boss was free loot, and XT wasn't difficult at all. It gave me a sense of accomplishment and some raid loot, even though I never made it past the first few bosses. Man I miss those days so much! I was in a good decent guild, everyone was filled with anticipation for ICC! Oh sigh those were the days!

- - - Updated - - -

I think the game was good when it had a good balance of short raids and long ones, it gave people who didn't have time to sit for hours a chance to raid too, as well as people who wanted to fully immerse themselves into a 4 hour raid they may do so in Ulduar. Its why WOTLK was my fav expo, I felt like the game had achieve this precarious balance between hardcore and casual.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Did you do T11?

Mechanics ahead of it's time.......... Like what exactly? Granted Yogg0 was ultra unique, but they have pulled that off multiple times with Finale bosses. <Ragnaros/LK/KJ/Al akir/Nefarian>
    Well, the tier you quote will go down in history as the point at which WoW started to bleed subs. You can say what you want, that's a stigma, no other tier prior to it has to live with. Hell, one could argue evn the lame updates like WoW voice chat were better for subs than T11.
    Also, If you follow blue posts, blizzard themselves admit that the problem with opening raids of cata is that there was no learner raid, it was all super-hardcore-level.
    I wonder sometimes, how can your love for blizzard be so irrational that even when blizz them self admit a mistake, you refuse to see it?

Deleted

lold

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    Naxx40 at lv 70 was harder than Naxx 10/25 ever were.
    What a total noob. This guy didnt even raid naxx 40. The raid was during classic wow, jerk. lvl 60!

Quote Originally Posted by xXhizorSs View Post
    What a total noob. This guy didnt even raid naxx 40. The raid was during classic wow, jerk. lvl 60!
    Bad news bub, Naxx 40 wasn't removed till the very end of BC. And it was actually bloody hard even with 25 Tier 5-6 geared people.
    Random fact.
    You can still craft the cold resist gear in the current naxxramas as the anvil is still there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Well, the tier you quote will go down in history as the point at which WoW started to bleed subs. You can say what you want, that's a stigma, no other tier prior to it has to live with. Hell, one could argue evn the lame updates like WoW voice chat were better for subs than T11.
    Also, If you follow blue posts, blizzard themselves admit that the problem with opening raids of cata is that there was no learner raid, it was all super-hardcore-level.
    I wonder sometimes, how can your love for blizzard be so irrational that even when blizz them self admit a mistake, you refuse to see it?
    For the average raider Tier 11 was amazing. For the hand hand,get gear thrown at them crowd it was terrible.It was a short term buisness mistake admitted by blizzard true. But if they had stuck to their guns the need for LFR and mass caterism to casuals would not have been required. Asto a bgeinner/learner raid isn't BH a great place to learn some of the class basics?
    Isnn't the original cata heroics a great place to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Maybe I just liked the buildup more in that expansion than the past couple. Plus the end boss wasn't totally awful like deathwing and garrosh.
    Disagree, I personally like how they handled Garrosh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    uld is one of my favs too, but i did always have 1 gripe about it. its just too big and empty, you could scale the entire geography and architecture down by at least 20% without affecting anything.

- - - Updated - - -

actually, it did.

besides trying to say naxx "needed" to be hard is kindof retarted, naxx was the intro raid. like kara. kara was stupid-easy too, for a reason: it was the intro raid, first tier, cant be hard because there isnt any gear before it raid.
    I see you never played TBC at launch, Kara wasn't easy, it was later nerfed to the ground for people like you. You should of tried Nightbane at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I see you never played TBC at launch, Kara wasn't easy, it was later nerfed to the ground for people like you. You should of tried Nightbane at launch.
    True, for average raider back in the day Kara bosses took 1-3 weeks to progress through.

Imo Nightbane was much easier than Malchezzar or Aran or Curator. Nightbane was about not standing in fire and having healers with mp5. We killed him first try, one-shot, took 17min b/c dumb people stood on fire. I miss those days, it felt so epic.