Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dealing with the loss of my pet

I've had the worst experience of my life, Having to watch my pet be put to sleep. He had a degenerative disease in his spinal cord and gradually began to loose the ability to use one of his left legs, his nervous system in the back end of his body has slowly been getting worse and the past 3 days he has had no bladder control and has been urinating and crapping and not realized. He's looked sad and not himself, didn't even want to play with his toys. My parents decided it was the best thing to do was to have him put to sleep. The vet came at 10:25 today and I held him in my arms and looked into his eyes and told him everything was going to be alright the vet injected him and watched as his eyes slowly closed and he was gone.

Do you think my parents and myself made the right decision? and has anyone got any help or ways to try and help me recover and how to try and move on ? my chest hurts lump in my throat and I feel like I've had my heart ripped.

this is my first experience with death and wanted some friendly advice on how to deal with grief

Many thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    You spared him a painful death. You did the right thing. I hate those who make someone hang onto life even though they are suffering just because they don't want to part with that person or pet.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2013-10-18 at 01:46 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by tantheus View Post
    Do you think my parents and myself made the right decision?
    Absolutely, 100%. Growing up, we had two dogs that we had to put down that were in similar states - one with cancer and one with years of progressively worsening diabetes. We kept them alive as long as they seemed happy, but had them put down when they seemed like they were just passed the point of enjoying life. Every animal deserves that compassion.

Deleted
    You just have to resummon him/her don't you? Or is it bugged?

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-10-18 at 02:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will eventually get over it, not the most helpful of thing to say, but its about the only thing to say.

If it was a dog, seeing as you never mentioned, it is particularly hard seeing as dog owners have the strongest bonds, some people get over it by replacing it (I would not recommend this though, certainly never worked for me) other just grieve for a while, and eventually it passed.

I got over my second one by getting a different pet altogether, it kinda worked, now I have ferrets instead of cats and dogs, and they kept me so busy that it just kinda passed, however I already know that when they die its going to be sad as hell as I have a stronger bond with them than my previous pets. I am afraid it is just the downside of being a pet owner

Quote Originally Posted by Paq View Post
    You will eventually get over it, not the most helpful of thing to say, but its about the only thing to say.

If it was a dog, seeing as you never mentioned, it is particularly hard seeing as dog owners have the strongest bonds, some people get over it by replacing it (I woud not recommend this though, certainly never worked for me) other just grieve for a while, and eventually it passed.
    yer he was a dog, Border collie he was about 14 or 13 , we got him as a rescue dog from a shelter when he was 2 or 3 years old so he was badly mistreated by his previous owners, so it makes me happier knowing we gave him a better life and loved him. I don't feel I would get another Dog soon maybe when I'm older and have a family of my own that might be the best time for me.

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm sure I will recover over the next few weeks just I guess the first few days without him will be hard to cope with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantfan View Post
    You just have to resummon him/her don't you? Or is it bugged?
    So horrible, but at the same time amazing

Deleted
    I was in the army when my dog, the dog I took care of since I was young, a dog of 12 or 13 years, had to be put down. I didn't get leave, even though we should be able to get a few days regardless of the reason. Putting a companion of over a decade wasn't an adequate reason to the assholes there. So, my mom took it to a vet, had it put down, then took the corpse to the local dump and that was the end of that.

Yeah. It wasn't fun. Having lost my father to a coronary a few years earlier though had kind of made me dead inside by then so all I felt was pure hatred towards my superiors.

Oh well.

Deleted
    It's never fun but sadly that's how it mostly goes with animals. I had to put a few cats to sleep as well, 2 rats etc. It sucks having to make that decision for your animal, but afterall it's the best for the animal too. You don't want it to suffer while having no good quality of life and just let it drag on.

Sometimes I wish we used "the same" method for humans, as it's pretty much the same in a lot of cases.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes they did make the right decision. my dog had the same problem and there realy wasnt anything we could do, having to bring her to teh vet was really hard, posibly even harder then being with her in her final moments.

10+ Year Old Account
    i know it's terrible...you just need to keep remebering him When you have had a pet for so long it feels really empty when they are not there...when my cat i've had for 17 years died for a few weeks after i would do the things i would normally do when he was alive like check out the window to see if he wanted to come in I get more upset when my pets die than i do when a family member dies as they are around every single day>.<

I don't understand why they put pets down and say it's the best thing for them but they make it illegal to help people that want to die
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-10-18 at 02:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You absolutely did the right thing, and I applaud you for being there with your dog as he was put to sleep. I know how hard it is to do something like that, but it's an incredibly loyal act.

You did the right thing OP. I'm really sorry for your loss but it was better this way for your dog to die than in terrible pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worst day of my life, the last time I recall crying, and I mean crying, not just tear up a bit, I mean full on tears running down my cheeks, the day I put my dog down. Same thing, took him to the vet watched them stick a few needles in the front legs, watched him go to sleep, vet put a stethoscope to his rib cage and after a a few seconds she just said "He's gone" and walked out leaving me there looking down at my dog of 14 years laying on a cold steel table.

He was a Border collie mix too. Had him from when I was 9 up till I was 23.

I feel like leaving work and going home and hugging my current dogs now.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Condolences.

Everything that we are and will become is a product of everything that has influenced us. In this way, your pet will always be a part of you.

get drunk so you forget its dead. buy a pet thats look like it. name it the same name. live happily ever after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tantheus View Post
    I've had the worst experience of my life, Having to watch my pet be put to sleep. He had a degenerative disease in his spinal cord and gradually began to loose the ability to use one of his left legs, his nervous system in the back end of his body has slowly been getting worse and the past 3 days he has had no bladder control and has been urinating and crapping and not realized. He's looked sad and not himself, didn't even want to play with his toys. My parents decided it was the best thing to do was to have him put to sleep. The vet came at 10:25 today and I held him in my arms and looked into his eyes and told him everything was going to be alright the vet injected him and watched as his eyes slowly closed and he was gone.

Do you think my parents and myself made the right decision? and has anyone got any help or ways to try and help me recover and how to try and move on ? my chest hurts lump in my throat and I feel like I've had my heart ripped.

this is my first experience with death and wanted some friendly advice on how to deal with grief

Many thanks
    I know it's hard to lose your companion, I myself have lost a few. But you need time to grieve and then move on. I had a pet for 15 years and when he died, I went out that same day and got a new one. And she really connected with me and helped me through it. Nothing will replace your loss, but someone else to help you get through it is the best option (in my opinion).

I wish you the best.

It bothered me too. With humans we never euthanize each other when we are suffering and approaching death, we stick it out to the very end even if that means being knocked out by painkillers 24/7 or withering away in a hospital bed. With pets we are rather quick to end all suffering with death. I was very confused by my parents euthanizing our dog when I was 17, and I still don't know how I feel about it.

Deleted
    What you did was selfless and righteous. If this wouldn't be too hard for you, I would suggest getting a new pet to keep your mind busy. Remember, your dog is in a better place now.

10+ Year Old Account
    In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    I know how this is going to sound, and i'm sure it won't be a popular response....but here's my two cents...

Cry. Just let it all out.

Eventually you will feel better, get over it, move on, whatever you want to call it, but right now all you have is that pain built up inside and it needs to come out. Just let the tears fall. Carry on though, you'll feel better soon.