Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Xpac/ blizzcon timing

So it's 21 days until blizzcon, shouldn't the xpacs name be registered and trademarked already? What was the timing with the past xpacs? The only thing that I've read being registered so far (since heroes of the storm is blizzard all stars) is the dark below, so are we to assume at this point that really is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    yes i confirm this

Quote Originally Posted by Zemuron View Post
    So it's 21 days until blizzcon, shouldn't the xpacs name be registered and trademarked already? What was the timing with the past xpacs? The only thing that I've read being registered so far (since heroes of the storm is blizzard all stars) is the dark below, so are we to assume at this point that really is it?
    The Dark Below was a hoax. It has been removed from the European trademark database and has shown no signs of returning. Blizzard does not own the trademark to The Dark Below, nor are they in the process of acquiring it.

Historically, it's been all over the board, varying from the trademark for the next expansion being filed months in advance all the way to only having been filed mere days before BlizzCon. Nobody knows when we'll see it pop up, but it ought to be soon.

Deleted
    probably doing what they did with hearthstone, trademark it somewhere with no online database (Swaiziland) apply for transfer to other trademark databases and reveal it just before they need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the Dark Below was a hoax. Blizzard have all the time between now and Blizzcon to submit an application for the trademark of the next WoW Exp and could in fact be aiming to do the exact same thing they did with WotLK, trademark it the week before Blizzcon. Also even if there was a trademark submitted right now then it wouldn't be until a good six months had passed before it would be officially registered so either way as long as they submit the application before they make the announcement they are still good (afterwards and someone could attempt to trademark sit as it were and Blizzard are unlikely to let that happen).

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's trademarked.... somewhere.

I'm fairly certain what they're doing with this expansion is the same thing they did with Hearthstone. Trademark it in a 3rd world country that doesn't post trademarks online, then transfer it to the US after the reveal due to a provision that gives foreign Trademarks priority for a 2 months window after they are filed.

Personally, I think it's The Dark Below. I think Boub did get that leak from an insider, and I think the insider also told Boub to cover it up when he leaked it before Reaper of Souls was revealed.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Like it's been said many times in many posts, it may have been registered already, but in a country that doesn't publish their applications on the web.
    The Dark Below may be legit with a complicated cover up to make people believe it's not, or it may be just a clever hoax.
    We'll see in 3 weeks anyway, no point restarting AGAIN the discussion here

Not every name has to be trademarked..... maybe they will use something as: return of the burning legion.
    In this case, which is an example, they don't need to trademark.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    It's trademarked.... somewhere.

I'm fairly certain what they're doing with this expansion is the same thing they did with Hearthstone. Trademark it in a 3rd world country that doesn't post trademarks online, then transfer it to the US after the reveal due to a provision that gives foreign Trademarks priority for a 2 months window after they are filed.

Personally, I think it's The Dark Below. I think Boub did get that leak from an insider, and I think the insider also told Boub to cover it up when he leaked it before Reaper of Souls was revealed.
    He got that leak from somebody posting it on these very forums. He then 'covered it up' when he realized that it was a fake. He pulled the posting trigger pre-emptively, causing people to believe it was legitimate on his word alone, and because of that we've got a ton of people creating asinine conspiracy theories when he backed out.

1. The Dark Below was never trademarked. What we saw was an application for a trademark.
    2. Wrath of the Lich King was trademarked just 4 days before its reveal, iirc.

So, while it might be trademarked and hidden somewhere, it doesn't have to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyl View Post
    Like it's been said many times in many posts, it may have been registered already, but in a country that doesn't publish their applications on the web.
    The Dark Below may be legit with a complicated cover up to make people believe it's not, or it may be just a clever hoax.
    We'll see in 3 weeks anyway, no point restarting AGAIN the discussion here

the only thing that points to dark below maybe not being a hoax, is no one admitting to it yet, i have a hard time believing some troll went to the effort of trademarking it in multiple countries and kept quiet for this long. im sure they would have come out by now and revealed it as a hoax.

guess we find out in 20days!

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    the only thing that points to dark below maybe not being a hoax, is no one admitting to it yet, i have a hard time believing some troll went to the effort of trademarking it in multiple countries and kept quiet for this long. im sure they would have come out by now and revealed it as a hoax.

guess we find out in 20days!
    It wasn't trademarked in multiple countries. The Dark Below was only filed on the European trademark database once, and while Reaper of Souls slowly trickled out to other countries and continents, The Dark Below did not, and then was removed entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Both explanations for it being real or fake are plausible. Considering the Dark Below is a theme associated with WoW and a threat from "beneath our feet" and "rising from the depths of the ocean" has been alluded to in-game and in novels/stories lends credence to Dark Below being an actual expansion. You cannot say with certainty it's fake until Blizzcon reveals the next expansion.
    Can't say for certain it is fake, but can sake the chance for it being real is so low that it is not even worth considering. Was it Pug Racer or something else that they apparently also registered about the same time? Will a mod is a pug, so they could totally call the next expansion that. You can't say for certainty it's fake until blizzcon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    It wasn't trademarked in multiple countries. The Dark Below was only filed on the European trademark database once, and while Reaper of Souls slowly trickled out to other countries and continents, The Dark Below did not, and then was removed entirely.

well, i got that bit wrong but its still odd that who ever filed it would keep quiet for so long if it was fake. i do think its fake but im just surprised who ever filed it kept quiet for so long

10+ Year Old Account
    well, i got that bit wrong but its still odd that who ever filed it would keep quiet for so long if it was fake. i do think its fake but im just surprised who ever filed it kept quiet for so long
    It baffles me how TDB made it through all the checks in the EU trademark system and only then was it killed.

Why would they speak up before BlizzCon? People are still believing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping they can keep it quiet till they need it. I mean couldn't they time it so the patent shows up as the trailer is running so MMO doesn't fill the front page with 'such and such' patented?

Having said that, it's possible for the patent to show up at any moment I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because if someone is perpetrating mass fraudulent trademark filings under their name, it's kinda a big legal deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Because if someone is perpetrating mass fraudulent trademark filings under their name, it's kinda a big legal deal?
    Even more reason not to go onto a random forum and brag about how you duped everybody?

Deleted
    because they would want people to know they were the ones who even made boub post it on the front page.

like thr guy who made the fake logo for dark below, people were still believing that when he revealed it.