An idea to help with Tank/Healer shortage / 5 man content

Disclaimer: I personally do not see the need for more 5 man content, but I think this idea is a decent way to fix that problem and also assist with the tank / healer "shortage"

I've heard a lot of complaints from people on the forums stating they would like new 5 Man content per raid patch, or they would like that content to actually be challenging and not be "face roll". I've also heard the reason people do not do Challenge Modes is because it does not actually provide any sort of "reward". If Blizzard intends to go down the path of not releasing new 5 man dungeons for each expansion, I think this idea is a good way to provide "up to date" content for the percentage of player base who do want 5 mans which also provides "current" gear.

Challenge Mode Plus

This mode will be an optional tab under the current Challenge Mode tab. It would have the same mechanics as the current challenge mode, except it will not have a timer and not reward the transmog gear, each boss will drop loot from their respective heroic (463) version of their loot table. This loot would be upgraded per content (raid) patch to be the same ilvl as the current LFR.

Example:

Patch 5.2 : Drops 502 ilvl
    Patch 5.4: Drops 528 ilvl

This mode could have a 3/4 day CD per dungeon.

Advantages:

- Does not cut into Blizzard development time, as the only new thing they would have to implement is upgraded loot from each boss.

- Gives the player base who enjoy challenging 5 man content something to do while providing rewards.

- It will not "force" normal/heroic raiders to do this content as the items are usually poorly itemized, without sockets, and far from BiS.

- Because of the ratio of 1 tank/1 healer 3 DPS, it might have the effect of increasing more tanks/healers per DPS.

- Tanks / Healers would still want to que for LFR as items with sockets / tier pieces / raid trinkets would still be upgrades to the challenge mode versions.

- Unlike the Timeless Isle gear, you actually have to know how to play the game in order to receive the items.

Disadvantages:

- People who are unable to actually complete the dungeons will complain they are too hard?

- ?

- ?

Any feedback is welcome and I will edit to post to add more disadvantages / advantages as they are posted.

I would be happy if Challenge Mode just dropped the timer. I see the idea of dropping gear but really I don't think everything has to have stat improvement. My issue with CM right now and the reason I haven't touched any is because it encourages cheesing everything; it encourages skipping as much as possible because you need to speed run - if that was gone I think a lot more people would do CMs. You could keep the leaderboards for comparison but don't tie speed of completion with the rewards, there shouldn't be Bronze/Silver/Gold, and clearing 50% of them should reward the mount, and 100% reward the transmog set.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    I would be happy if Challenge Mode just dropped the timer. I see the idea of dropping gear but really I don't think everything has to have stat improvement. My issue with CM right now and the reason I haven't touched any is because it encourages cheesing everything; it encourages skipping as much as possible because you need to speed run - if that was gone I think a lot more people would do CMs. You could keep the leaderboards for comparison but don't tie speed of completion with the rewards, there shouldn't be Bronze/Silver/Gold, and clearing 50% of them should reward the mount, and 100% reward the transmog set.
    Couldn't you just simply ignore the timer?

You want me to rerun the same content every single patch of an expansion just to get an upgrade in loot? There's no challenge in that lol. That's not fun, that's just repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by GwiGwi View Post
    Couldn't you just simply ignore the timer?
    Not if you want the mount or transmog set; you have to beat the timer for Gold, which is what I'm saying turns a lot of people off because it encourages cheesing fights with invisibility potions or rogues for mass stealth. If it was just "Do this harder version of the dungeon, you get a reward if you do all of them" that'd be fine. The timer is extra stuff that pretty much requires class stacking and/or cheesing mechanics.

While your idea sounds nice, there is a problem with "just end the dungeon".

There has never been (and will never be) a pull that couldn't be done by semi-retarded people just by popping full CDs (with BL, pots and all that stuff) and then waiting for the next one. That would make whatever reward attainable by anyone with the only requeriment of extensive patience.

But yes, i agree timed runs are not the best way to put it.

Hell i'd even add some role-specific transmog items (think store heads) for each role on PG30, that could even get me to try again the tank one after 4 wave 27 wipes.