Do I need to rebuy Windows when I build a new computer?

Hi gang,
    Thanks to some of the folks who responded to a thread I made a couple weeks ago I've decided to try my first pc build. I'll be replacing everything with the exception of my peripherals, my hard drive, and my DVD drive, all of which I'll reuse in the new build. While researching how to do the build, I've read some conflicting things regarding what I need to do about my OS (currently Win 7). I have a licensed copy that I purchased via a prebuilt from Ibuypower. I don't have any CDs but I do have the product key + Win 7 will still be installed on the hard drive since I'll be using the old hard drive from my current computer. Do I need to rebuy Win 7 or is there a way to continue using my current license on the new build?

I believe you can contact Microsoft to keep your current license on the next build, but i just wanted to post to state that despite using the same hard drive and the same win7 install... Windows 7 will freeze at the Boot screen if it detects a different motherboard, which will requires a format and reinstall of Windows for it to work. So you should have some means of saving your data before moving on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

The only things on the hard drive that I don't want to lose are Windows 7 OS (at least until I have some form of it that I can use to reinstall it after formatting... again, I don't have a physical disk so I'd have to copy from my HD to a portable HD or something) and my MS Office programs. I don't need any of the data files from Office but I don't want to have to repurchase Office itself if I don't have to. Both Win 7 OS and MS Office are legit copies so I can provide MS key codes if needed.

You cannot transfer an OEM license to a new computer unfortunately.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Crap, well that changes my plans a little. I'll need Windows and Office for sure. Didn't consider the cost of repurchasing them when budgeting my build. Aw well, thanks for the info. At least I know what to expect now and won't be caught unaware.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you are lucky, then the installed system will continue to work, but i would not recommend trying it.

As for installing new:

1. Download the correct ISO: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...amp-X64/page72
    (Yes, these are downloads directly from Microsoft and not some illegal copies)

2. Burn onto a DVD or make a bootable USB stick: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

If you have your key, you can just use it again. As for Office, i am afraid you need the installation files and the product key. If your current installation is still running, you can use a key extractor (e.g. http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ ) to get the key (works for windows and office), but i don't know if you can download the installation files if you need them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Sure you can. Microsoft might not like it, but it's not illegal and they can't prevent you from doing it. The only thing you probably will need to do, is to activate it via phone rather than via internet.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

I've done it dozens of Times. It's as simple as saying your motherboard died, if they even ask.

OP you just have to contact customer support, takes a few minutes at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Sure you can. Microsoft might not like it, but it's not illegal and they can't prevent you from doing it. The only thing you probably will need to do, is to activate it via phone rather than via internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I've done it dozens of Times. It's as simple as saying your motherboard died, if they even ask.

OP you just have to contact customer support, takes a few minutes at most.
    This is possible (sometimes) with individually purchased OEM copies. However, prebuilts are an entirely different beast. I've never seen it work. It has to be the exact same model of the motherboard.

It's not like you can just plop in the key on the bottom of your broken laptop to a fresh install on a desktop.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

This is possible (sometimes) with individually purchased OEM copies. However, prebuilts are an entirely different beast. I've never seen it work. It has to be the exact same model of the motherboard.

It's not like you can just plop in the key on the bottom of your broken laptop to a fresh install on a desktop.
    I had a win7 ultimate OEM i bought off newegg on a amd build. When i upgraded to my current intel build (different motherboard and hard drive) I did the online activation and it worked. Thats just my own personal experience though ^^ No need to buy another windows key until you try it out first.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimgore View Post
    Windows 7 OS..... I don't have a physical disk so I'd have to copy from my HD to a portable HD or something
    erm, good luck with that....

Save yourself hours of trying and failing to do that and just buy a new one.

Get an OEM version and in the future when you build yourself a new PC you can reuse it.
    Last edited by Daedelus; 2013-10-19 at 09:15 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I changed literally all of the internal components of my system, just reused my windows 7 key when installing it and.... everything works just fine, so yeah.. its doable (system was originally put together by me, not store bought, and i used an OEM version of windows 7 home premium).

I upgraded to 7 from vista a few years ago with a fresh copy of 7 (full version, not upgrade). Then a couple years ago got a completely new build and installed 7 from the same copy and it works just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's an OEM license, or DSP license and it has been activated, then "no", you may not transfer it. DSP is essentially an OEM, but not installed by the manufacturer and sold with components for the end-user to activate on those components, however, once activated, it is legally bound to the hardware/mainboard it is installed on.

Q. Can a PC with OEM Windows have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the original Microsoft® OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer.

The next restriction comes with transferring the license. DSP/OEM software that has already been used, installed, activated, etc is not transferable unless you transfer the entire computer along with the software to another party.

NOT FOR RESALE SOFTWARE. SOFTWARE identified as "Not For Resale" or "NFR," may not be sold or otherwise transferred for value, or used for any purpose other than demonstration, test or evaluation.

So, no... legally, you can't transfer it once activated if you change your mainboard.

My IT company is a "clean Reseller" as well as "Microsoft partner"