Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Can you think of a new class that uses dark magic?

I've reported my last topic (asking for it to be locked) as it derailed into a different subject that wasn't my intention. But now it's up to a moderator to decide it's fate.

So can you think of a new class that uses dark magic that you want in the game?
    What I mean by dark magic is supernatural powers or magic that is used for evil and selfish purposes.

In Warcraft's lore the Death Knight uses supernatural powers and magic for evil purposes.
    While the Warlock may use it for selfish purposes or evil, or both. That's not important.
    Two classes at their core uses dark magic and that is Death Knight and Warlock.

Witchdoctor all up in da house. Obviously it will never be a class, but one can dream huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Gozzu View Post
    Witchdoctor all up in da house. Obviously it will never be a class, but one can dream huh?
    In your mind, would the Witch Doctor play out like the Witch Doctor in Diablo III, if you've played that game?

The witch doctor is an alchemical and spiritual master, skilled at not only simply brewing potions and alchemical goods, but at awakening the spirits of the ingredients that go into his goods. A witch doctor at work can be unsettling, for he croons and chants to the herbs and animal parts that go into his brew, shaking a rattle to awaken them from their slumber, and sometimes even bursting into dance to appease them and make them favor him. The powers that witch doctors revere are creatures of wild, ecstatic worship who demand dynamism from their servants ~ Wowpedia

I like the idea!

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark ranger. This isn't even worth the question because you should already know the answer.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Graven One...info right here http://www.wowwiki.com/Graven_one

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Dark ranger. This isn't even worth the question because you should already know the answer.
    Dark Ranger, that's cool. How would they become playable as a class, in your mind? I only ask since the lore says:

The Dark ranger is a cunning hero, adept at manipulating opponents. Forcibly raised from the dead, the former rangers of Quel'Thalas enjoy nothing more than sowing dissension and hatred within the enemy ranks.

Nearly all dark rangers are undead high elves found only among the Forsaken ~ Wowpedia

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    In your mind, would the Witch Doctor play out like the Witch Doctor in Diablo III, if you've played that game?

The witch doctor is an alchemical and spiritual master, skilled at not only simply brewing potions and alchemical goods, but at awakening the spirits of the ingredients that go into his goods. A witch doctor at work can be unsettling, for he croons and chants to the herbs and animal parts that go into his brew, shaking a rattle to awaken them from their slumber, and sometimes even bursting into dance to appease them and make them favor him. The powers that witch doctors revere are creatures of wild, ecstatic worship who demand dynamism from their servants ~ Wowpedia

I like the idea!
    That seems pretty close to what they are in WC, so sure. Traditionally trolls, they may have spread their worship and craft to other, using both alchemy and dark magic to strengthen allies and annihilate foes. Or sumthing like that.

Demon Hunters use dark magic, or "demon" magic, don't they?
    I'm putting a coin on the Demon Hunter being the next class for next Xpac too, btw.

That seems pretty close to what they are in WC, so sure. Traditionally trolls, they may have spread their worship and craft to other, using both alchemy and dark magic to strengthen allies and annihilate foes. Or sumthing like that.
    I wonder if there are troll tribes around The Rift on some of the islands? (That perhaps have a strong Witch Doctor "belief"). Do you know?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Necator View Post
    Demon Hunters use dark magic, or "demon" magic, don't they?.
    Demon hunters are dark, shadowy warriors .. And they fight against the forces of chaos using its own terrible powers against it.
    So I don't believe that they use their powers for evil and selfish purposes. I hope that answers your question.

Demon hunters are dark, shadowy warriors who are shunned by the greater night elf society. They made a pact, long ago, to fight against the forces of chaos using its own terrible powers against it. ~ Wowpedia

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post

Demon hunters are dark, shadowy warriors .. And they fight against the forces of chaos using its own terrible powers against it.
    So I don't believe that they use their powers for evil and selfish purposes. I hope that answers your question.

Demon hunters are dark, shadowy warriors who are shunned by the greater night elf society. They made a pact, long ago, to fight against the forces of chaos using its own terrible powers against it. ~ Wowpedia
    Illidan and his cronies.

- - - Updated - - -

So like the tinker class then.

/dives for cover

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously the Necromancers, I have waited to play with one of them in WOW for years... in fact they are one of the classes more standardized in any RPG, but however they still lacks in WOW...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Illidan and his cronies.
    Yes, let's leave that for a different thread to discuss. Since Illidan is unique, and he is a subject in itself to discuss, in a another thread.

His pursuit of power and arcane mastery led him to commit a number of horrific acts against his own people and the races of Azeroth, including defecting to Sargeras during the War of the Ancients and creating the second Well of Eternity. For his actions, he was imprisoned for ten thousand years, until his release during the Third War. He came to be called the Betrayer for his acts against the night elf people and carried the title of Lord of Outland. Seeking to bring down her erstwhile prisoner, Maiev allied with Akama to invade the Black Temple, where she cornered Illidan in his inner sanctum and struck him down, bringing an end to one of the most tragic stories in Azeroth's history. ~ Wowpedia

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    Obviously the Necromancers, I have waited to play with one of them in WOW for years... in fact they are one of the classes more standardized in any RPG, but however they still lacks in WOW...
    In your mind, would a Necromancer use abilities like summoning dead dogs to fight by his side? And perhaps cast a spell that would make ghoulish hands reach out from the ground, slowing enemy down? Or do you have something else in your mind?

10+ Year Old Account
    Death Knight. Not exactly the same, but close enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain how a Necromancer class would be different from Warlocks mechanically.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Death Knight. Not exactly the same, but close enough.
    Necromancers are spellcasters whose magics manipulate the power of death. In calling upon this power, necromancers risk being consumed by it — until eventually they join the ranks of the undead. Necromancers twist arcane magic to manipulate the power of death. Commanding the undead, generally in the service of the Scourge, they gradually take on the characteristics of the dead — hollow eyes, shambling gaits, pallid and sunken skin, foul odors and so forth. ~ Wowpedia

That's close, for sure. It's hard to find a class that uses dark magic that has some uniqueness to it that isn't already found within existing classes. But there must be some room for creating nonexisting unique feel, abilities, power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rumaya2000 View Post
    I'm sure he wanted a more standard RPG-type Necromancer that exist in other games. It's nothing wrong with wanting that.
    Perhaps you could ask more nicely of him to explain how he would want to see a Necromancer work in the game?
    Last edited by Gnome; 2013-10-19 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Ranger
    Witch Doctor
    Ritualist
    Mesmer
    Blood Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Aven Ballantyne View Post
    Dark Ranger
    Witch Doctor
    Ritualist
    Mesmer
    Blood Mage
    Well if you could only wish for one of these classes for a future expansion, which one would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by rumaya2000 View Post
    I've played a handful of games where a necromancer played substantially different from the typical Necromancer. While World of Warcraft's Warlock fills the niche that the Necromancer traditionally does, there's plenty you can do. Instead of being a shadow caster that uses DoTs and Drains with minions, you could build it ENTIRELY around the concept of raiding/controlling the dead. Instead of the dead just being theree to practically automatically raise your damage.

First you could take a page out of Age of Conan's book and allow multiple minions. In Age of Conan, a Necromancer has 8 minion points and different minions require different amounts of minions to have active. For example you could have 8 minions that cost 1 point each, or 2 much more powerful minions that cost 4 points each. They all have their uses, and you can mix and match depending on what a fight requires.

After that, your spells would be in the form of directly controlling your minions in varying ways, instead of throwing magic at an enemy while your minions beat it up. Mechanically, they'd function similarly to normal spells, but it would still be unique feeling.

A lot of what people associate with Necromancers mechanically is actually pretty widespread amongst most spellcasters in World of Warcraft. That being DoTs, of course. Every caster uses a DoT of some sort, aside from Mages, who choose between either two DoTs or a delayed nuke, which, in my opinion, still very much feels like a DoT. While some classes aren't as heavily reliant on their DoTs purely for their damage like Shadow Priests, Affliction Warlocks), they're still essential for their rotation (like Immolate and Flame Shock are to Destruction Warlocks and Elemental Shaman). And then of course you have the classes in between those ends of the spectrum.

So in keeping with the facts that if they become a traditional spellcaster, bearing mechanical similarities to Affliction Warlocks and Shadow Priests, you could actually design their spells based on bones rather than shadow magic, like a much more elaborated upon Bone Necro from Diablo 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there are other classes from the RPG lore (have a gander at the classes associated with the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow).

Plus there are others, like the Shadow Hunter (which Vol'jin is currently a very poor representation of in game - they're very much like a affliction warlock/restoration shaman hybrid).

There can also be a case made for dark menders of some sort, similar in concept to the Shadow Priest's original design, but I don't know how Blizzard feels about that since making Shadow Priests a dedicated damage dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

I don't think there's really room for another dark caster class. MAYBE give shamans something 'dark shaman' related like a cosmetic quest like like warlocks got. But I don't see there being a necromancer class. A lot of the undead themed stuff was already given to DKs, unholy especially, such as diseases and undead minions. We also already have a cloth wearing dark caster in the warlock. I'd rather see something more unique, as I feel a necromancer would have too much overlap between those two classes.

Witchdocter I think is too narrow, can only really see trolls having that class without some major lore shenanigans going on. We also alraedy have shadow priests and between shadow priest and warlock any sort of shadow mage would feel redundant to me.

I'm not saying that in another game they couldn't be interesting classes. But what a necromancer is in WoW is already pretty well defined through npcs for example. I think a new class should fill a new niche, like how monks cover martial arts, rather than something that overlaps existing classes too much. For example monks as is are fine, but if they had tried to put in a stealth based monk, ie a shado pan type class, I think that would be too similar to rogue.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Demon Hunter.

Witch Doctor is more or less a Shaman with alterations, Dark Hunter would overlap too far with Hunter, and Necromancer died with the Death Knight.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)