Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    first two weeks of SoO, I was struggling to get below 17-18% hit, now I almost have to gem expertise, it gets better

Wushoo and horridon staff were the worst offenders for me, thankfully you can replace them with early items. I am now back to using wushoo cause I need the hit O.o

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    first two weeks of SoO, I was struggling to get below 17-18% hit, now I almost have to gem expertise, it gets better

Wushoo and horridon staff were the worst offenders for me, thankfully you can replace them with early items. I am now back to using wushoo cause I need the hit O.o
    Your logic is just weird. There's no reason to not gem full expertise and hit as a Warlock if you can. Don't use Wush just because of the hit if you have better trinkets.

Deleted
    Ugh I have the same problem. 9 of my items have hit on them and I have 8 blue sockets. I'm thinking of gemming orange/yellow but for now I don't know if it's better to gem wrong color and lose alot of 180 int bonuses or not.

Or I can just wait and hope that RNG is nice on Wednesday and grants me bindings and maybe even a tierpiece, I'm still 3 pieces away from 4-set bonus.

I'm having a hard time picturing a gearset that isn't fighting to stay out of hit. Just about every SoO offpiece is hit/xxx so aside from your tier gear you are drowning in it. With the ilvls of SoO, esp SoO heroic, you only need a couple hit pieces to cap not even counting the gems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    With the ilvls of SoO, esp SoO heroic, you only need a couple hit pieces to cap not even counting the gems.
    That.
    Somehow that was ignored/missed/deemed irrelevant when the stats on gear were decided.
    You only need 5100 hit for the cap, yet a single item gives over 1000.

I'm hoping they'll add some more complex reforging that allows you to decide the exact amount of stats you'd like changed (within a certain interval) to allow for more complex (in effect easier and more accurate) min-maxing.

Maybe one of you guys can explain to this noob why on earth would any caster use gems with expertise in them?.

I read every comment in this thread but i still fail to grasp what benefit an expertise+mastery gem would give you over an int+mastery gem, or does expertise give us something i clearly know nothing about.

Try and explain slowly as well since i feel like im completely missing something important

Quote Originally Posted by Lamorak View Post
    Maybe one of you guys can explain to this noob why on earth would any caster use gems with expertise in them?.

I read every comment in this thread but i still fail to grasp what benefit an expertise+mastery gem would give you over an int+mastery gem, or does expertise give us something i clearly know nothing about.

Try and explain slowly as well since i feel like im completely missing something important
    Expertise = Spell Hit.

and mastery > everything else

As people said, expertise counts as hit for casters.

Since 160 of a secondary stat is better than 80 int, people reforge out of hit into mastery (or crit/haste if the piece already has hit/mastery) and then get to hit cap through orange exp/mastery gems since quite a few SoO pieces have red sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Expertise = Spell Hit.
    When did that happen? lol, so casters have 2 forms of getting hit, although it kind of makes sense since we need double the melee hit percentage.

Ok then that explains it, but it still looks weird as hell using expertise on a caster.

15+ Year Old Account
    When did that happen? lol, so casters have 2 forms of getting hit, although it kind of makes sense since we need double the melee hit percentage.

Ok then that explains it, but it still looks weird as hell using expertise on a caster.
    It was made this way because of melee hybrids that uses spell hit for some of their abilities.
    This way if you have 7.50% melee hit and 7.50% expertise you'd also have 15.00% hit for your abilities that roll using spell hit. It's a very elegant solution, imo.

It has been this way for all of MoP.

Deleted

casters doesnt need double the hit of melee well technically not. melee still need 7,5% hit AND 7,5% expertise, so they actually need 15% total from 2 "different" stats. its called 2 different things but is the same thing in reality.

Deleted
    To the OP, you said you had too many hit items (and even some hit/crit was it?).

Do you not run with any other clothie.. at all? Im sure a mage wouldve liked those items, assuming he/she wasnt grossly over hit cap as well.

This isnt anything personal, but way too often I see people need on stuff just because it's new, shiny, and has the heroic (or even heroic warforged) tag on it, when it really wouldve served the raidgroup so much more by passing on crap that you dont -really- need. If youre so over hitcap, youre essentially needing on items with a 70% secondary statbudget.

Dont get me wrong, sometimes youre just stuck with badly itemized items, but even when it was at it's worst (in ToT with horridon's+wush) it was only that bad because I was the only cloth-user in our raid, so I grabbed anything that was an upgrade.

In SoO Ive still got alot of unwanted stats, but that's mainly critrating that ive gotten on mastery pieces (head, weapon, tierchest, shoes, ring) but, other than the weapon, that's all been coined, and was an upgrade from ToT items. Weapons are crap this tier, nothing that doesnt have crit on it :/
    Last edited by mmoc241f3fedf6; 2013-10-31 at 08:19 AM.

Deleted
    well its quite easy to get quite a lot over hitcap in the begining of SoO but once you get proper offpiece, your hit should fall behind, but ofc it depends on your gear. in my "BiS" list i can only reach 12% hit gemmed and pre reforge, so it is certainly possible to reach a managable amount of hit.

I've been stuck on about 17 to 18% hit aswell for quite some time, untill i managed to replace wush with the immerseus trinket. I started to stack int/mastery gems instead of hit or exp/mastery gems, because those % overcap are useless anyway, so i'd see more value in having extra int.

I'm at 566 ilvl and I have zero problems with hit, using full exp/mastery gemming in reds (well... ONE int/mastery, but I also have nonreforged hit on one piece). Still using Wush too.

I'm guessing you've replaced Horridon's staff then.

Twin Consort hc staff -> Siegecrafter stick -> hc Eye-on-a-stick from Sha. I only had Horridon staff for short time from coin. I mean, during ToT, I had one moment where I had to juggle which item/offspec stuff to aim for to not get over unreforgable hitcap, but once I got into SoO, I stopped having any problems with that.
    Last edited by Nivrax; 2013-10-31 at 12:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainwork View Post
    To the OP, you said you had too many hit items (and even some hit/crit was it?).

Do you not run with any other clothie.. at all? Im sure a mage wouldve liked those items, assuming he/she wasnt grossly over hit cap as well.
    Hey mate, Fortunately in our guild we just use need/greed system and we have 1 Mage 1 SP and 1 Holy/Disc Priest and we are oh so lovely to one another, the loot that I have been stuck with has mostly come from bonus rolls so I'm not stealing jack from anyone else... i.e. I've won gear 3 weeks running on Protectors from coin rolls HWF Shoes Hit/Mastery, HWF Ring Hit/Crit, and heroic Shoulder Hit/Mastery (wanted shoes got em in the end upgrade from my 530 trash drop hit/mastery ones from ToT)... jesus even look at this bosses loot table its just such a joke everything has Hit... but yes back to the point I'm not stealing anything from the other guys and we openly discuss which is a better upgrade for who and let them have it... its a general rule anything with haste/mastery our mage usually lets me have depending on how big and upgrade, and anything with haste crit is all his... the priests have been drowned in spirit caster gear and both have 4 set, so they are usually ok for gear with hit on it so no competition there no real use to them unless its got haste on it for SP break points.... and with the rate that vanq (and prot for that matter) tier tokens drop our mage could have 4 set for all 3 specs if he needed... and I'm still stuck with 2 set... so is our Prot Pally... and last week from everyone in guild greed rolling on those protector tier tokens i vendored 4 protector tier pieces for 200g... gg... luckily last week though i got that Haste/Mastery ring from thok allowed me to reforge better and only .15% over hit now which is a god send... we got extremely lucky on our 2nd HC Sha kill both SP and Mage coined boss before we saw loot and both received "Gaze" then turned out it dropped from boss as well so was just unreal all 3 caster dos walked away from that boss with heroic weapons.... last 2 weeks have been a nightmare with attendance issues so haven't had any real upgrades recently having to clear normal is no fun and i missed guilds first kill of Galakalalakararas