Post Do you use evry spell in your Soul Tree / Root?

Hi there am new to Rift so not 100% sure how the talents go so I want to know for exp. every point/s you put in Spellblade mage upper tree you get a new ability in the lower tree. Now am looking at the lower tree and you get around 20-23 skills. Do people use all of those skills or only which once they like, or are situational? Then you got the other 2 Soul Trees and you get more skills

Can someone kindly explain it to me how this works.
    Thanks

Deleted
    You get damage, control, buff, debuff, healing, shield and dot spells, so yeah they indeed are situationel.

The other two isn't really important besides some passive % damage.

Two good builds:

Damage, small healing:http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcNdRbsc...Tu0drtdboGovxd

Damage, support: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcRdNxds...vVxgubdrtdboGo
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2013-10-21 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks that helped a lot

No. Why would you use every skill in the trees?

The classes are modular and so are the skills. One is suppose to create a build given that sort of malleability.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglock View Post
    Hi there am new to Rift so not 100% sure how the talents go so I want to know for exp. every point/s you put in Spellblade mage upper tree you get a new ability in the lower tree. Now am looking at the lower tree and you get around 20-23 skills. Do people use all of those skills or only which once they like, or are situational? Then you got the other 2 Soul Trees and you get more skills

Can someone kindly explain it to me how this works.
    Thanks
    It depends on your build. Usually you won't be using many skills from your secondary trees, as you won't have the talents to boost their damage. For example, my toon is a 44 Nightblade/27 Riftstalker/5 Tactician build. The majority of my attacks come from the Nightblade tree. I do not use Riftstalker's Planar Strike or Guarded Steel, as my Nightblade attacks hit harder. I do however use the Teleport abilities the Riftstalker tree gives me, such as Shadow Blitz and Shadow Shift, as well as the 1 hour self buff(Planebound Resilienece). Likewise, I do not use Empyrean Ray/Empyrean Bolt from the Tactician tree unless for some reason I have to stay at long range and can't use my normal attacks, but I do keep the Curative Engine self buff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    It depends on your build. Usually you won't be using many skills from your secondary trees, as you won't have the talents to boost their damage. For example, my toon is a 44 Nightblade/27 Riftstalker/5 Tactician build. The majority of my attacks come from the Nightblade tree. I do not use Riftstalker's Planar Strike or Guarded Steel, as my Nightblade attacks hit harder. I do however use the Teleport abilities the Riftstalker tree gives me, such as Shadow Blitz and Shadow Shift, as well as the 1 hour self buff(Planebound Resilienece). Likewise, I do not use Empyrean Ray/Empyrean Bolt from the Tactician tree unless for some reason I have to stay at long range and can't use my normal attacks, but I do keep the Curative Engine self buff up.
    I also run a nightblade / riftstalker / tactician build (41/28/7 -- if I recall correctly). However, I do use 'guarded steel' situationally for the increase in armor (especially if I'm soloing an elite or have pulled multiple mobs). Same thing with "phantom blow", while it doesn't do as much damage as the nightblade abiliies, for soloing the 2% less damage is nice (not manditory, but nice). Empyrean Ray/Bolt are nice if you want to do a ranged pull...and I've spammed Empyrean Ray while the mob was closing so that I could have 3-4 combo points up when he finally got into melee range.

You are right, we do get alot of abilities, and I'll probably use 15-20 over the course of several hours of play (not including buffs)

Quote Originally Posted by thurizas View Post
    I also run a nightblade / riftstalker / tactician build (41/28/7 -- if I recall correctly). However, I do use 'guarded steel' situationally for the increase in armor (especially if I'm soloing an elite or have pulled multiple mobs). Same thing with "phantom blow", while it doesn't do as much damage as the nightblade abiliies, for soloing the 2% less damage is nice (not manditory, but nice). Empyrean Ray/Bolt are nice if you want to do a ranged pull...and I've spammed Empyrean Ray while the mob was closing so that I could have 3-4 combo points up when he finally got into melee range.

You are right, we do get alot of abilities, and I'll probably use 15-20 over the course of several hours of play (not including buffs)
    I use Phantom Blow as well. I have it macroed with Dusk Strike, since it has a 10s CD and using it gives me a breather from the more energy intensive Dusk Strike even though it doesn't hit as hard. I experimented with Guarded Steel, found out the increase in armor never made much difference so I just dropped it. And yeah, I said I use Empyrean Ray/Bolt at range, but once enemies are within 20 yards I can just swap to Twilight Force, or teleport to them.