[Music] why do so many k-pop and j-pop have english in the lyrics?

i cant really think of any other cultures that blends in another language into its music quite as often
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Those languages started off as English and those are just the last bastions of English being drained away.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because people in Japan/Korea know English, at least somewhat. Basically, if you had a big name rapper or something start rapping in another language (sometimes they do, Eminem said some lines in Pig Latin at one point, Lil Wayne talks in French and Spanish at times, but not that often) then nobody will know what they're saying and it won't make any sense, so nobody would care to listen. Most j-pop and k-pop fans know enough English that it's fine to put English words in the songs, because everyone will still understand. That isn't the case in most countries.

maybe for the same reason i like listening to lots of music in other languages i do not speak, if the music is good you don't need to even understand the words to feel what the artist is trying to tell you.

Are you sure you can't think of any other language, or do you just not listen to songs in other languages other than jpop and kpop? Because I can think of another language where there are a ton of English butt-ins in the music. (Filipino).

my gf whos japanese thinks its because in those countries a lot of things American are seen as cool or hip so adding english to things is just part of the appeal

Why is there Spanish in some English songs?

I remember asking this in my Japanese class in College and my teacher said that it's because those bands mimic western style tempo and timing and all that jazz, and the way the languages are set up, most bands will add in the English so it fits the musical timing. If that made any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Those languages started off as English and those are just the last bastions of English being drained away.
    No, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...inese_language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...glish_language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...orean_language.

Please educate yourself, before you ramble on with shit.
    Last edited by Takure; 2013-10-20 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    There really isnt unless you mean musicians who are hispanic themselves (ala Pitbull). I cant really think of a non hispanic using Spanish in their songs with any sort of frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    It's more than just that. In Japan, Japanese and English are mixed in with each other a lot - in music, businesses, advertising - seemingly randomly. I've wondered about this myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Japanese actually has lots of loanwords from other languages, and there seems to be a general fascination with Western languages in the pop culture. You also see a lot of French and German usage. Hell, they've got a completely seperate alphabet for writing foreign words.

Because outside the US, its quite common for people to speak more then one language.

Feels like the majority of the music here(Sweden) is sung in english(by Swedish artists/bands). It's been like that for ages. Nothing weird with that. English is a truely universal language that people learn all over the world, japanese and korean are not. It is of course possible to be succesful in the native language but english certainly helps if you want to reach international crowds.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...