Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
LastLast
  1. #121
    because blizz knows wow2 would never be a huge hit vs wow. the #1 thing about wow is accessibility, the shitty graphics that 10 year old dells can run, the easy 1-90 leveling, the instant 'raid geared' isle, etc

    accessibility, constantly rewarding players, is why it ever had so many players. they see TESO and know that they're not going to compete with it. it will hit 10,000,000 with the release on consoles and PC (skyrim sold 14,000,000, 87% of that was console sales) and is guaranteed to at least appear to be the MMO king by next year. all this stuff wow has said thanks to subs is going to go for TESO too. and yes, it looks great but runs as well on an average system as wow does, ESPECIALLY in group pvp. wow with 100 people on screen isn't playable, TESO had 1 event to alpha test their mass-battle tech and it was insane how smooth and lag-free it was and i can't imagine it won't be better out of an alpha stage

    TESO has done a great job with their engine so far, SWTOR screwed that up, gw2 went crazy with sparklies and the gy zerg tactic for everything, and rift is happy being where it is, quietly creating a monster of a hit that people will trickle into for years to come

    wow 2 would have to convince wow players that it's worth starting over, it would leave MILLIONS behind who simply couldn't run it, and it cost a lot of money to do about the same thing

    it just wouldn't work

  2. #122
    Pit Lord Compstance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by notreallybullying View Post
    because blizz knows wow2 would never be a huge hit vs wow. the #1 thing about wow is accessibility, the shitty graphics that 10 year old dells can run, the easy 1-90 leveling, the instant 'raid geared' isle, etc

    accessibility, constantly rewarding players, is why it ever had so many players. they see TESO and know that they're not going to compete with it. it will hit 10,000,000 with the release on consoles and PC (skyrim sold 14,000,000, 87% of that was console sales) and is guaranteed to at least appear to be the MMO king by next year. all this stuff wow has said thanks to subs is going to go for TESO too. and yes, it looks great but runs as well on an average system as wow does, ESPECIALLY in group pvp. wow with 100 people on screen isn't playable, TESO had 1 event to alpha test their mass-battle tech and it was insane how smooth and lag-free it was and i can't imagine it won't be better out of an alpha stage

    TESO has done a great job with their engine so far, SWTOR screwed that up, gw2 went crazy with sparklies and the gy zerg tactic for everything, and rift is happy being where it is, quietly creating a monster of a hit that people will trickle into for years to come

    wow 2 would have to convince wow players that it's worth starting over, it would leave MILLIONS behind who simply couldn't run it, and it cost a lot of money to do about the same thing

    it just wouldn't work
    I wish this was still true, but it's not. I'm actually trying to sell my laptop right now to get a desktop because it won't run it very well... and that's with an i5 and halfway decent geforce and 6g ram on low settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesalia View Post
    nerds love hating the things they love
    <Fracture> newly formed on Magtheridon-US is recruiting. 1 Tank, 1 Heal, 2 RDPS. 13/14 (as guild), hitting heroics once we're full.

  3. #123
    They can try something different with Titan being a new IP as opposed to it being WoW 2. With expansions still coming out every other year, Blizzard is still making more than enough money with WoW than it would be if it was competing with itself by releasing a sequel.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    I'm still interested to read on this if you have a link handy. If not I can just Google around a bit. Much thanks either way.
    Just google up the MMO-C news.

  5. #125
    I think because all of Blizzard's intellectual properties are two decades old.

  6. #126
    wow is far from over, with multitude of millions of players... titan will be a different game, pretty sure it wont be a gcd mash game like wow is.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    Why on earth would you need a WoW 2 if WoW itself is pretty successful and can still manage over 7m subs? I think EQ2 and GW2 was made in order to bring in more subs so if WoW didn't have much of subs then I think they would've made a "WoW 2". Besides, the expansion system is pretty great to add more to the game
    Because if the sub trend of the last three years continues, WoW will have 5M subs in 2014, 3M in 2015, and 1M in 2016. It is bleeding customers fast and it DOES NEED A REPLACEMENT within 3-5 years.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    I wish this was still true, but it's not. I'm actually trying to sell my laptop right now to get a desktop because it won't run it very well... and that's with an i5 and halfway decent geforce and 6g ram on low settings.
    we actually have an old 9300 with an fx something and it runs wow on low settings for my niece/nephew
    so yeah it's true (and that's an onboard graphics card)

    that's a 9300, fxcrap graphics card, 1mb ram, other junk

    and shit, i can use a macro for console commands to lower the settings further and raid on it
    Last edited by notreallybullying; 2013-10-20 at 03:03 PM.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    With Titan now being YEARS away (but still the next big project), I am wondering why they just don't swap/scrap Titan with WoW 2?
    Because we're already at WoW 6.

  10. #130
    Pit Lord Compstance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by notreallybullying View Post
    we actually have an old 9300 with an fx something and it runs wow on low settings for my niece/nephew
    so yeah it's true (and that's an onboard graphics card)

    that's a 9300, fxcrap graphics card, 1mb ram, other junk

    and shit, i can use a macro for console commands to lower the settings further and raid on it
    How does one do this? I would like to lower the settings further if I could (without removing ground effects, etc). Is that possible? The laptop I have right now is a good laptop, just not for gaming. I'm in the process of trying to sell it to get a decent gaming desktop, because even at low settings I get shit FPS in 25s, making anything more than LFR unplayable in a 25m setting. And in 10's or Flex I get spikes where my FR goes way down to an unplayable level (short periods) but it still sucks when it's right after I popped a CD or have to move out of something. Basically, I won't even be able to look for a good 10m guild until I can find some better raid performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesalia View Post
    nerds love hating the things they love
    <Fracture> newly formed on Magtheridon-US is recruiting. 1 Tank, 1 Heal, 2 RDPS. 13/14 (as guild), hitting heroics once we're full.

  11. #131
    I dont really know what to think about the Titan game

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    How does one do this? I would like to lower the settings further if I could (without removing ground effects, etc). Is that possible? The laptop I have right now is a good laptop, just not for gaming. I'm in the process of trying to sell it to get a decent gaming desktop, because even at low settings I get shit FPS in 25s, making anything more than LFR unplayable in a 25m setting. And in 10's or Flex I get spikes where my FR goes way down to an unplayable level (short periods) but it still sucks when it's right after I popped a CD or have to move out of something. Basically, I won't even be able to look for a good 10m guild until I can find some better raid performance.
    google it, there is a thread here about settings higher than ultra, so there may be one about settings lower than low. its' definitely on google though, with vids too

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragaen View Post
    I dont really know what to think about the Titan game
    well nobody does, they restarted it in may from scratch

  13. #133
    Why would you even what a wow 2? we want something new. not just wow again.....

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    WoW 1.0 is exponentially losing a few percentage of their playerbase every quarter,
    I agree with all the rest of your post, but:

    I disagree it is exponential decay. It looks quite linear in graphs and I expect their %loss to increase in the future consistent with linearity. One reason they will not lose the same % subs/quarter is because when friends quit/guilds implode players will leave at a faster pace. Also, I do not expect Blizzard to upkeep servers for <1M subscribers or at least keep them paying $15/mo. Subs will reach 0 within 4-6 years. Blizzard has the opportunity to release a new MMO and bring in new subs and also bring back some old subs. I say subs but I mean players, they could switch to a different revenue model, microtransactions or pay per time or smt else.

    Given the quarterly sub data from 2010 Q4 (the first data point before sub decline started), the numbers are:

    Subs(E6) ...Year/Quarter ...Quarter(#)
    12.0 ...2010Q4 ...1
    11.4 ...2011Q1 ...2
    11.2 ...2011Q2 ...3
    10.3 ...2011Q3 ...4
    10.2 ...2011Q4 ...5
    10.2 ...2012Q1 ...6
    .9.1 ...2012Q2 ...7
    10.0 ...2013Q3 ...8
    .9.6 ...2012Q4 ...9
    .8.3 ...2013Q1 ...10
    .7.7 ...2013Q2 ...11

    A linear trend fits slightly better (R^2=0.89) than exponential (R^2=0.86).

    Year/Quarter ...Subs(E6)
    2013Q4 ...7.1
    2014Q4 ...5.6
    2015Q4 ...4.2
    2016Q4 ...2.7
    2017Q4 ...1.2

    Within 3-5 years WoW subs will decline to below 2M, hence WoW-related revenue will decline to a small fraction of overall revenue of ACTV, at which point releasing a new MMO, or even WoW2.0 at the expense of WoW1.N will make a lot of financial sense to bring in new subscribers and reboot the WoW revenue stream.
    Last edited by gee; 2013-10-20 at 03:59 PM.

  15. #135

  16. #136
    Warchief Szemere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gnomeregan
    Posts
    2,196
    Making a new IP at this point is a huge positive for them, and also gives them a lot more freedom in creativity. Sure you could use the Warcraft universe, but the whole Orcs vs Humans and their factions would almost have to be a thing... It's just simply limiting when trying to make a new MMO.

    Making a Starcraft MMO for example could somehow work: An RTS simply doesn't have as much locations and races COMPLETELY mapped out, and doesn't have the same amount of stories told. A Diablo MMO is basically the same. But basing an MMO off the IP of another MMO, simply limits yourself a lot. New IP could potentially pull in tons of people (including those who already played WoW), but where WoW2 might have more of WoW1 joining, it will still be mostly associated with WoW to those that don't like WoW too much. Those will be wasted potential customers.

    TLDR:
    -Artistically limiting thematically.
    -Basing an MMO on an MMO doesn't work well, whereas basing it on an RTS for example works quite well due to a lot of freedom.
    -Negative association with predecessor, whereas those associating it positively will be less influenced by it.
    -Blizzard already gets a lot of flack for only having 3 IPs and side-projects being based on those IPs. There's a point where you exhaust IPs.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

  17. #137
    Mechagnome ThunderPussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kelso, WA
    Posts
    743
    I feel like WoW2 is still several years off if they ever do one at all. Years for other games releases means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about when Blizzard might do a WoW 2.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana


  18. #138
    Titan is just a project name. For all we know the finished game will be called World of azeroth.

    The latest rumours was that project titan would be a spinoff from IP they already have. So i am hoping for a diablo mmo

    Making a pure wow 2.0 would be a punch in the face to all those who spent endless hours in wow.
    Here is the new game. Now start over

  19. #139
    Pit Lord Compstance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Titan is just a project name. For all we know the finished game will be called World of azeroth.

    The latest rumours was that project titan would be a spinoff from IP they already have. So i am hoping for a diablo mmo

    Making a pure wow 2.0 would be a punch in the face to all those who spent endless hours in wow.
    Here is the new game. Now start over
    A Diablo MMO would be amazing, or even a SC MMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesalia View Post
    nerds love hating the things they love
    <Fracture> newly formed on Magtheridon-US is recruiting. 1 Tank, 1 Heal, 2 RDPS. 13/14 (as guild), hitting heroics once we're full.

  20. #140
    Lol @ people saying that blizzard will not try to make a similar cash cow to wow again.\

    Your 300 mounts and 19k achievements mean nothing, you will be jumping ship like the rest of us in several years, or you will just quit altogether and have nothing to show for it.

    Its pathetic to see such an unhealthy attachment to game points. Its better not to get attached to a virtual game in the first place, and that starts with not using your achievement points as a valid reason to play the game over the actual gameplay.
    Last edited by cityguy193; 2013-10-20 at 04:10 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 1091 - 8286 - 2221 Aman Add me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •