Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why "Titan" instead of WoW 2?

Hi

With Titan now being YEARS away (but still the next big project), I am wondering why they just don't swap/scrap Titan with WoW 2?

This isn't about WoW dying, its a matter of it being an aging game and WoW being the biggest name of MMO history. If we're talking 2015, 2016, etc just for Titan, what does that tell us about WoW 2?

Just for comparisons sake:

Everquest 1 came out in 1999
    Everquest 2 came out in 2004

Guild Wars 1 came out in 2005
    GUild Wars 2 came out in 2012

If Titan is the next big thing, then that will mean WoW 2 can easily be 5+ years away.

World of Warcraft came out in 2004
    World of Warcraft 2 came out in [2018?]

A game such a WoW 2 would certainly take years to make. If Titan was released in an optimistic early 2016, that can mean we may not have a WoW 2 until 2020 potentially.

I hope Blizzard just skips Titan and makes a World of Warcraft 2. That would certainly shake things up at a [future] Blizzcon!
    Free-To-Play is the future.

Deleted
    They make titan to attract somewhat different playerbase than just people who play wow. Wow still is a huge cashcow so its not going anywhere, after Titan been out couple years blizz can then release wow 2 and stop support for wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Titan turns out to be WoW 2.

Just because they say it's a new IP, and has nothing to do with anything they are doing now, it could just be WoW 2?
    Currently Procrastinating

Because WoW 2 would carry stigmas of the current game and isn't a new IP to attract new players to the Blizzard brand. People who have quit WoW or aren't interested in WoW to begin with would be less likely to play WoW 2 because they moved on from the Warcraft IP.

A new IP entirely allows for an entirely fresh approach, expanded target audience, etc. WoW 2 would just essentially cannibalize WoW while a new IP gets players from their existing playerbase and is far more likely to attract outside players. The end result is much higher revenue by having two strong MMOs on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    Hi

With Titan now being YEARS away (but still the next big project), I am wondering why they just don't swap/scrap Titan with WoW 2?

This isn't about WoW dying, its a matter of it being an aging game and WoW being the biggest name of MMO history. If we're talking 2015, 2016, etc just for Titan, what does that tell us about WoW 2?

Just for comparisons sake:

Everquest 1 came out in 1999
    Everquest 2 came out in 2004

Guild Wars 1 came out in 2005
    GUild Wars 2 came out in 2012

If Titan is the next big thing, then that will mean WoW 2 can easily be 5+ years away.

World of Warcraft came out in 2004
    World of Warcraft 2 came out in [2018?]

A game such a WoW 2 would certainly take years to make. If Titan was released in an optimistic early 2016, that can mean we may not have a WoW 2 until 2020 potentially.

I hope Blizzard just skips Titan and makes a World of Warcraft 2. That would certainly shake things up at a [future] Blizzcon!
    As far as I know, theirs no concrete evidence to what Titan is, so it could very well be WoW2.

Honestly, with a WoW2 there's no guarantee it'll be a success, even with the WoW name attached to it. And even if it weren't a success, it would still pull people away from WoW. WoW is still their biggest cash cow right now and will be for years to come, so I don't see them doing anything to jeopardize it any time soon. Hell just calling it WoW2 would create immense expectations that even Blizzard might struggle to meet, and would leave a very bitter taste in everyone's mouths when it inevitably fails to live up to the impossible hype.

Quote Originally Posted by SimoKJ View Post
    As far as I know, theirs no concrete evidence to what Titan is, so it could very well be WoW2.
    It's not WoW 2. The only thing we know about it for sure - because it's the only thing Blizzard has openly said about it - is that it's a new IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Oerba Yun Fang View Post
    Hell just calling it WoW2 would create immense expectations that even Blizzard might struggle to meet, and would leave a very bitter taste in everyone's mouths when it inevitably fails to live up to the impossible hype.
    See also: StarCraft 2, Diablo 3.

Deleted
    You can only run a franchise so long. WoW isn't/wasn't popular only because of the theme or IP (wc1-3), it was polish and good gameplay.

What 2-3 more expansions and wow2 with 5 expansion? Not gonna happen.

Deleted
    inb4

World of Warcraft 2: Titan

Infracted.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2013-10-20 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SimoKJ View Post
    Jeff Kaplan stated in an interview that it would be "sci-fi, near future, post apocalyptic, and historical combined" with comments from others like Bobby Kotick and Mike Morhaime that it would be a new experience with a much broader appeal than their current IPs.

That's really the only information we have on Titan but it's clearly not going to be WoW 2. Blizzard would be better served having two entirely different but popular MMO games on the market than a WoW sequel that is less likely to bring new players into the fold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorise View Post
    Jeff Kaplan stated in an interview that it would be "sci-fi, near future, post apocalyptic, and historical combined" with comments from others like Bobby Kotick and Mike Morhaime that it would be a new experience with a much broader appeal than their current IPs.

That's really the only information we have on Titan but it's clearly not going to be WoW 2. Blizzard would be better served having two entirely different but popular MMO games on the market than a WoW sequel that is less likely to bring new players into the fold.
    Bait and switch.
    Currently Procrastinating

10+ Year Old Account
    Who in Blizzard even said they were thinking of/needed to make a WoW2? Just because Guild Wars and Everquest had sequels made to them in order to garnish interest back into their respect franchise after the player bases began dwindling doesn't mean Blizzard is going to do it for WoW. Who knows anyway? Maybe they'll end WoW in a future expac or maybe they'll keep supporting it forever(up to a point), maybe Titan will become the next big mmo they strive to focus and provide for and might be related to WoW or not. They could even possibly go back to creating rts Warcraft games but again as I said who knows?

Why would they make a WoW 2? It simply doesn't make sense. People aren't going to switch from WoW to WoW 2, they'll just end up losing more subs and gain little to nothing for the investment.

It makes significantly more sense to make a totally different game, to attract some new people. Personally, I wouldn't quit WoW for WoW 2, but I'd quit WoW since WoW 2 would take away all the updates and such. I've invested like hundreds of days of played time into WoW over the past decade, I'm not gonna throw that away and start all over in WoW 2, that simply makes no sense. But perhaps I'd stop playing WoW for a while to check out Titan, if it had interesting gameplay or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    It's not WoW 2. The only thing we know about it for sure - because it's the only thing Blizzard has openly said about it - is that it's a new IP.

See also: StarCraft 2, Diablo 3.

because blizz has NEVER lied to us before...

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Thats a lie I wouldnt mind them making, and Im sure majority of players would rather see WoW 2 than "titan" in the next half decade.

Except there's zero reason to lie in this case. WoW still has healthy subs and making WoW 2 wouldn't even guarantee people to switch. You would be dumping millions of dollars into development for a game that your existing players likely wouldn't jump to unless they had to and is unlikely to bring much in terms of new players to the game. If someone isn't interested in WoW, they likely wouldn't be interested in WoW 2.

A new IP designed as an MMO is best for business so to speak. It gives them a platform to cater to a broader audience instead of relying on the traditional fantasy themes. You now have the money from the WoW fans who just play WoW, the WoW fans who sub to Titan as well, and the plethora of new players who see a brand new shiny game and get hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Why would they make a WoW 2? It simply doesn't make sense. People aren't going to switch from WoW to WoW 2, they'll just end up losing more subs and gain little to nothing for the investment.
    Really. people won't switch from WoW to WoW 2 in 3-5+ years? Lol. People are already switching from WoW WITHOUT WoW 2.

WoW won't always have 4 million people paying $15/month. You're thinking of the present and not the future. WoW is losing numbers (~10,000 people per day of late) and will continue to lose numbers due to its age. That is a fact.

Look how many subs Blizzard has lost in 2-3 years, and we're talking ANOTHER 3-8 years for WoW 2 to be released. You cannot talk about the present. Games take years and years to make.

If Titan takes ~2.5 more years, and they IMMEDIATELY (won't happen btw) start working on WoW 2, then we're looking at 5+ years minimum for WoW 2. To me, it seems like a perfectly good business idea to make a sequel to the biggest name in MMO gaming.
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-10-20 at 01:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    Really. people won't switch from WoW to WoW 2 in 3-5+ years? Lol.

WoW won't always have 4 million people paying $15/month. You're thinking of the present and not the future. WoW is losing numbers (~10,000 people per day of late) and will continue to lose numbers due to its age. That is a fact.

Look how many subs Blizzard has lost in 2-3 years, and we're talking ANOTHER 3-8 years for WoW 2 to be released. You cannot talk about the present. Games take years and years to make.
    you talk as if WoW 2 is definitely going to happen

Because forum posters have never claimed that blizz would lie before since that would make their argument for anything look better. But they have, so many times that if I had a nickel for each time Blizzard is lying about something I'd have a few dollars. That's a lot of nickels.

Sure you can say they might be lying. But really, you can say that about anything. I could say player models are not happening because they lied, but that has no proof. There is no logical reason to say Blizzard is lying unless you've got some solid proof that they are lying then we stick to logical conclusions.

yeah that's why everything they say now is a lie! Blizzcon might not even be happening...