Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It can't be hidden. All code for an addon must be visible and can not be obfuscated in some fashion. (Aka encrypted). The only exception to this is Peggle and Bejeweled which were "official" unofficial addons.

Posting character names, battle tags, and reasons about why they are banned can be considered harassment. Even more so when its being distributed to every user of the add on. That violates 7.b.vi of the ToS and arguably 7.b.v depending on how Battle Tags are considered. And while the Forum code of conduct (http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct#harassment) doesn't apply to Addons it is an example of Blizzard taking a stance over character names being used to shame people.

makes sense, guess we have to see what blizzard think about it, i can see why he would want to ban bad behaviour from the addon, but breaking rules is bad, hopefuly blizzard will look into it. but hopefuly not break the addon, i need it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    OP you don't even use this addon why the F do you even care is the question here like none of this is even remotely necessary.

As ml said

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

Mod voice:

Please do as I suggest above and discuss the issues surrounding this in a civil manner. As well, whatever your opinion of the original poster, he personally is not the subject of the thread and this sort of posting is subject to infraction or bans. If the only thing you have to say is about personalities then you will be off-topic. So let's stay on topic. Thanks.

This thread is not about me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    yea but Cogsharks flat out tells you if you do X you get banned. The guy who makes OQ sat in that thread refusing to tell anyone anything and his attitude is pretty shitty. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...436299?page=13
    because he doesnt need to tell you why he banned someone. don't like it? too bad. its like asking whats the nuke codes from the president he doesnt have to tell you and he wont.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can't be hidden. All code for an addon must be visible and can not be obfuscated in some fashion. (Aka encrypted). The only exception to this is Peggle and Bejeweled which were "official" unofficial addons.

Posting character names, battle tags, and reasons about why they are banned can be considered harassment. Even more so when its being distributed to every user of the add on. That violates 7.b.vi of the ToS and arguably 7.b.v depending on how Battle Tags are considered. And while the Forum code of conduct (http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct#harassment) doesn't apply to Addons it is an example of Blizzard taking a stance over character names being used to shame people.

- - - Updated - - -

You could always, you know, read the ToS yourself and try to figure it out, specifically section 7. Also Addons have been forced to stop asking for donations in-game. It is why very few if any currently do it and why for pay addons like carbonite had to become free. Blizzard does enforce the Addon and UI policy.
    I just did, and people being transparently banned from a VOLUNTARY xrealm pugging tool hardly falls under the category "shaming". Unless a Blue tells us otherwise according to Blizzard's PoV, that is merely your opinion and not actually fact.
    The asking for donations part is not exactly comparable to cases like Carbonite, that were PURCHASEABLE.
    And even if he removed his little "donate beer!" button in the addon, that has nothing to do with the line of argument that you guys are leading on why it's not fair of him to ban people.

15+ Year Old Account
    As ml said

This thread is not about me
    Still didn't answer...Why the FUCK do YOU care?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another reason to hope that someone is working on a decent alternative to oQueue. It'll happen eventually. Pretty much any other time a useful product has become bloated and inconvenient, a better alternative has popped up, and this should be no different. oQueue used to be great, and now it does so many useless and annoying things. Plus the guy that writes the addon has a very toxic attitude, so it's kind of amusing to see him banning people. I've never seen him maintain a positive attitude for more than 3 consecutive posts, and he goes into a frothing rage over the smallest things. So the sooner his addon is replaced as the standard for it's intended purpose, the better.

On the other hand I'd like to see Blizzard implement oQueue features into WoW, and leaving him out of it, which they've done in the past with other popular addons, because the rage from that from him would be amazing.

Don't worry, if you get banned through the addon it's simple enough to fix, and if you're not able you're really not missing much.

Edit: Also the fact that he bans people for his own reasons, he could ban you for whatever he wants. He starts a discussion about his favorite TV show that he considers to be the pinnacle of entertainment, and you casually mention that you're not a fan, banned for trolling! Call him out for standing in the fire, banned for trolling! Or whatever.
    Last edited by RoKPaNda; 2013-10-20 at 07:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    I just did, and people being transparently banned from a VOLUNTARY xrealm pugging tool hardly falls under the category "shaming". Unless a Blue tells us otherwise according to Blizzard's PoV, that is merely your opinion and not actually fact.
    The asking for donations part is not exactly comparable to cases like Carbonite, that were PURCHASEABLE.
    And even if he removed his little "donate beer!" button in the addon, that has nothing to do with the line of argument that you guys are leading on why it's not fair of him to ban people.

it could fall under shaming since the names of people who are banned are visible in the code, but that might not break the rule since its not visible in the game on the addon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    It is not my opinion because harassment is against the ToS and all addons have to follow the Addon and UI policy which includes full compliance with the ToS.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...299?page=7#134 has names, "inappropiate language", and other descriptors attached to those battletags and characters. What part of that does not violate the ToS? How is that not harassment?
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-10-20 at 07:48 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

why do this guy keep trying to make oqueue bad? are you the owner or open raid? or something rofl

srsly u must be so mad at this guy for trying too hard in this thread.

oqueue best addon ever. I hope blizzard give this guy a medal and add his addon to wow. srsly, it's the best addon ever by far.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

"shaming" isn't against anything either.

It's not a blizzard term, it's an mmoc one. And it's banned on FORUMS, not anywhere else. You can call people out in your streams, your homepage, your blog, your youtube, your twitter, your facebook, in game, in your addon, in your application, or with a custom website to call out people.

Totally legit. You guys are straw-grasping, as if Tiny blocking exploiters is anything but a good thing, by WANTING SO VERY HARD it to be against the tos.

It ain't.

10+ Year Old Account
    What i fail to see so far, is how OP's and others personal opinions about the guy have anything at all to do with the merits/shortcomings of the addon itself.
    But I Hate You All, you baselessly accused me of ad hominem attacks against you, when in fact most of your arguing against OQ and the author are nothing but personal judgements about him on your part, and not actual concerns that apply to everyone's "wellbeing" in the game.

The only reason why anyone would argue against the addon or the author here is because either a) they got banned and are annoyed or b) they have something against the author personally. Neither of which make the arguments brought up so far valid.

Now, if Blizzard decides it's too controversial and acts on it, I'd get that just based on the reactions. I don't actually see any basis except insulted people so far, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    "shaming" isn't against anything either.

It's not a blizzard term, it's an mmoc one. And it's banned on FORUMS, not anywhere else. You can call people out in your streams, your homepage, your blog, your youtube, your twitter, your facebook, in game, in your addon, in your application, or with a custom website to call out people.

Totally legit. You guys are straw-grasping, as if Tiny blocking exploiters is anything but a good thing, by WANTING SO VERY HARD it to be against the tos.

It ain't.
    This. I so far have not seen any evidence, from my PoV, that shows how the AddOn actually violates anything in the ToU or EULA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Streams, your homepage, your blog, your YouTube, your twitter, your Facebook, or custom website are not governed by the ToS and other applicable policies. At least if you want to be an "official" fan site and community member.

Naming and shaming people in game can lead to action against your account. Addons, even their source code, are governed by policies that prohibit such.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    It is not my opinion because harassment is against the ToS and all addons have to follow the Addon and UI policy which includes full compliance with the ToS.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...299?page=7#134 has names, "inappropiate language", and other descriptors attached to those battletags and characters. What part of that does not violate the ToS? How is that not harassment?
    Something being CODED IN THE FILES (for personal notes, for example) hardly falls under public harassment. You're comparing apples and oranges. He didn't go out and publish this as a forum post or broadcast it ingame on the addon.

You could always, you know, read the ToS yourself and try to figure it out, specifically section 7. Also Addons have been forced to stop asking for donations in-game. It is why very few if any currently do it and why for pay addons like carbonite had to become free. Blizzard does enforce the Addon and UI policy.
    This is all neither here nor there. Bliz can't have it both ways - they'll complain if people are putting rude group names up on the addon, but won't allow the naming / shaming of the player? No, sorry, doesn't work like that. There needs to be a way to bar specific battle tags from the network, in order to prevent abuse.

Regardless, this addon is, by now, most likely too big for Bliz to ban. Like recount or DBM, if they were to ban it, you'd see a mass exodus of subs. So they won't - at least until they come up with their own equally good alternative.

Holinka was asked on twitter
    https://twitter.com/holinka/status/325498843967913985

where he answered they had plans too
    Only been a half year since. They couldnt probably have changed their plans...

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Edit: Also the fact that he bans people for his own reasons, he could ban you for whatever he wants. He starts a discussion about his favorite TV show that he considers to be the pinnacle of entertainment, and you casually mention that you're not a fan, banned for trolling! Call him out for standing in the fire, banned for trolling! Or whatever.
    100% Correct. His addon, his rules. Your point is?....

The creator is a pretty big jackass, no lie about it, but oQueue has good potential.

Unfortunately I can only foresee trouble with being the only arbiter in the way bans are handled, such as folks having a bad day and doing poorly in raids getting the blacklist.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calaba View Post
    Regardless, this addon is, by now, most likely too big for Bliz to ban. Like recount or DBM, if they were to ban it, you'd see a mass exodus of subs. So they won't - at least until they come up with their own equally good alternative.
    Blizzard can remove any addon from the game that they want. They did it with Gearscore when it was a problem, they did it with AvR (and dues vox) when they were a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosk View Post
    He is doing the mod a favor by banning trolls etc. Something blizzard fail BIG TIME with their own game. He has only banned 9 people, it's a non issue.
    exactly. Blizzard has tons of mouthbreathers in LFR, LFD, and random BGs and nothing ever happens to them. They are allowed to be as big a dick and as terrible as they want and can keep on queuing just to ruin the experience of other players and nothing happens ever to them.

How is this even worthy of a thread? If he wants to ban idiots for being idiots I say go ahead!