Thread: New Office PC

New Office PC

I put together a build for my dad to use for his small business, please post your thoughts!

CPU: Intel Pentium G2030 3.0GHz
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H
    RAM: Corsair ValueSelect 2x2GB DDR3-1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
    HDD: Western Digital Green 500GB
    Power supply: be quiet! Pure Power L8 300W
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini or Cooler Master Silencio 352
    Optical Drive: ASUS DVD-Writer DRW-24F1ST
    Resolution: 1024x768 at the moment though he might upgrade to 1920x1080

The goal is to have an office PC that he can use mainly for MS Office, mails, surfing etc.. No major image editing or 3D applications. No overclocking. The PC should last for a long while (5-10 years I'd guess).

About the case and cooling: I will ask him which case he wants since it's also important that it looks nice to him and not just me. It's important that the PC is quiet, if the box CPU cooler turns out to be too loud in in this case (or the case fans themselves) I'll probably just buy some quiet Noctua fans or so, but I'd first build it like that and try it out.

About the storage: I'm not sure if the HDD is actually needed or if it's the right choice. On his current system he has a ridiculously low amount of used space after a few years (like 40GB or so, but can't properly remember), so the SSD is actually large enough to fit everything he needs. He's very concerned about backing up his files though, so the plan has been to use a potent backup program (W8 File History I think? I don't use W8) to back up his files to a seperate drive (the HDD). I'm not sure though whether this is the right solution:
    - Would this kind of operation somehow slow down the system (because the HDD is slower than the SSD)?
    - Wouldn't the HDD most probably fail before the SSD? So he could just as well use File History on the SSD itself and leave out the HDD? Afaik newer SSDs are pretty robust.
    Maybe it'd be better to use a cloud service (SkyDrive?) to back up his files? He works in two locations and I think he'd like to keep all his systems synced, if there is some program that automatically syncs them combined with online backups that would be the best solution imo. Would that be expensive? Would he still be able to access older versions of his files or files he deleted?

I'm especially concerned about the backup solution, so I'd appreciate any input on that topic.

Deleted
    if its really just for mailing surfing and office u probably wont need the hdd. for backing up his files, if has such low amount, an usb stick would be sufficient. if he wants to upgrade and go for 1080p i would recommend to up that ram to 1600 sticks and get an amd apu.

I love SSDs in my office machines. Most of the time a HDD is the bottleneck for office tasks because most of the work is from loading programs. I installed an SSD in my wife's system and she thought it was a brand new computer.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro