View Poll Results: What should they do with mailboxes?

Voters
400. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make it an interface function.

    66 16.50%
  • Mailbox object in our bags.

    6 1.50%
  • Leave them as they are.

    328 82.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    This forum confuses me sometimes.

    Me:
    "Hey, what do you think of flying mounts? Sort of ruins immersion, right?

    Everybody else:
    "NO! I love convenience, and flying mounts are awesome cause it means I don't have to run everywhere to do stuff!"

    Me:
    "Hey, what do you think of mailboxes? Sort of of a hassle, right?"

    Everybody else:
    "NO! I hate convenience, and mail boxes are great cause it's nice to have the little immersive things in the world!"
    How does flying mounts ruin immersion? I don't get it.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    What ho,

    I'm usually against conveniences in games. I want there to be a bit of an effort to do things, as well as immersion in the game world.

    But lately, mailboxes have started bugging me.

    • They litter the mini-map and take up space around it.
    • They are everywhere in towns nowadays, which is not only illogical but also looks daft.
    • They force you to go somewhere just to trade with your alt or receive some money from the Auction House, or when you receive a letter from an NPC.

    Why not take the Guild Wars 2 route and place the mailbox in the interface? If you want it to make sense lore-wise, just say the Ethereals did it.
    LMAO - classic ethereals...

    OT: I don't know how I feel about this. I suppose my only argument against it is that it's a slippery slope... not that we haven't been sliding down that slope for a couple expansions now.

  3. #23
    The Lightbringer OzoAndIndi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    3,409
    Mailboxes are now an issue..? If ya don't wanna go somewhere then be an engineer with that portal mailbox thingy. Even if not constantly useable it's at least good for when you're just too far away from a regular one.

  4. #24
    We already can join bgs, dungeons and raids without moving our character 1 step. Do we really need to make it so we can use in-game mail without moving our toons too?

  5. #25
    The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    This forum confuses me sometimes.

    Me:
    "Hey, what do you think of flying mounts? Sort of ruins immersion, right?

    Everybody else:
    "NO! I love convenience, and flying mounts are awesome cause it means I don't have to run everywhere to do stuff!"

    Me:
    "Hey, what do you think of mailboxes? Sort of of a hassle, right?"

    Everybody else:
    "NO! I hate convenience, and mail boxes are great cause it's nice to have the little immersive things in the world!"
    no. kind of stupid argument.

    whereas taming a mount and using it to ride makes perfect sense, reaching in your ass and pulling out an parcel post makes a bit less sense.





    There is no bad RNG only bad L2P

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    How does flying mounts ruin immersion? I don't get it.

    Because it removes all inpact from terrain
    a mounten – have to run around it
    water – run around or swim
    mobs – better stay clear or kill them

    flying – hurr durr (its just slow teleportation)
    Last edited by Horizon; 2013-10-20 at 05:10 PM.

  7. #27
    I love how it's an interface function in GW2, but the mailboxes don't bother me either. Wouldn't matter to me either way.

  8. #28
    Dreadlord Niku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    スウェーデン
    Posts
    911
    Sure, I'm all for it.
    "The world is filled with lies! Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not commit adultary. These are all lies, deceptions. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to be victim of theft. That is why they use lies like justice and moral to protect their weak selves. The original truth is the survival of the fittest. One must devour it all, wether it be other humans, wealth, power or the world itself! All hail Britannia!" - Charles vi Britannia

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    reaching in your ass and pulling out an parcel post makes a bit less sense.
    But pulling a mount out of your ass makes total sense, am I right? :P

  10. #30
    Scarab Lord Rixis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    4,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    • They litter the mini-map and take up space around it.
    • They are everywhere in towns nowadays, which is not only illogical but also looks daft.
    • They force you to go somewhere just to trade with your alt or receive some money from the Auction House, or when you receive a letter from an NPC.
    1. Disable them from minimap?
    2. Yeah, I hate walking to work and passing 4 post boxes, I prefer there to be only 5 or 6 in my entire town, they clutter the place up
    3. The postboxes are so prevalent, first you complain that there's too many, then you complain you have to go to one to mail things to other characters?

    Your method of having it in the interface speeds it up by what, 3 seconds?

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Because it removes all inpact from terrain
    a mounten – have to run around it
    water – run around or swim
    mobs – better stay clear or kill them

    flying – hurr durr (its just slow teleportation)
    I still don't get how flying around or over things ruins immersion. If anything using a Hearthstone does. But flying doesn't.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Oerba Yun Fang View Post
    But pulling a mount out of your ass makes total sense, am I right? :P
    It does on a Friday night How you doin?

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    How does flying mounts ruin immersion? I don't get it.
    It's subjective, although many feel they do so because they take players out of the game world and almost serve as a sort of speed-train from location to location.

    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    no. kind of stupid argument.

    whereas taming a mount and using it to ride makes perfect sense, reaching in your ass and pulling out an parcel post makes a bit less sense.
    Nothing makes sense anymore. We instantly teleport in an out of dungeons, we don't have to talk to people to form groups, we receive quest updates on the fly right in the interface, etc.

    I feel like things like LFD and flying mounts are convenient in a bad way. They make you stop doing things which didn't use to bother you.

    Mailboxes, on the other hand, aren't really something which adds anything to the game. I like their functionality, but I don't see any benefit in chasing after them just to open a letter.
    "Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out farther than the brim of his shady hat.

    Author of: Mount 2.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)
    Author of: World Enhancement Patch 1.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    It does on a Friday night How you doin?
    Your weekends sound interes-- nope, they sound painful.

  15. #35
    The Patient 0mni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kel'Thuzad - US
    Posts
    206
    I don't even have to walk to dungeons and raids anymore. Now we don't want to walk to mailboxes?

    What next, we won't want to walk to quest objectives anymore? This is such a small thing that's barely an inconvenience, especially considering 90% of people sit in the main city waiting for queues anyway.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    It's subjective, although many feel they do so because they take players out of the game world and almost serve as a sort of speed-train from location to location.
    This is the first time I have heard anyone use the "immersion" argument against flying mounts.

    Nothing makes sense anymore. We instantly teleport in an out of dungeons, we don't have to talk to people to form groups, we receive quest updates on the fly right in the interface, etc.
    Yeah just because those elements don't make sense, doesn't mean we need to keep adding elements that don't make sense. The point of MMO companies should be creating worlds not interfaces. You might think "mailboxes" add nothing to the game, but MMOs have tons of psychological aspects in MMO that you don't see in your face. Why don't we let players pick up items they bought in the AH right from the interface? Adding all these things make a game fell less "world" and more a interface full of instances.

    It is not like there isn't a mailbox within 2 minutes of where you are anyway. This is a non-issue.

  17. #37
    The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    It's subjective, although many feel they do so because they take players out of the game world and almost serve as a sort of speed-train from location to location.



    Nothing makes sense anymore. We instantly teleport in an out of dungeons, we don't have to talk to people to form groups, we receive quest updates on the fly right in the interface, etc.

    I feel like things like LFD and flying mounts are convenient in a bad way. They make you stop doing things which didn't use to bother you.

    Mailboxes, on the other hand, aren't really something which adds anything to the game. I like their functionality, but I don't see any benefit in chasing after them just to open a letter.
    i agree with you that LFD/R are very very bad things. It takes nothing for a reputable competent player to put together a group. I also tends to weed out the baddies once you have run with them once or twice.





    There is no bad RNG only bad L2P

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    i agree with you that LFD/R are very very bad things. It takes nothing for a reputable competent player to put together a group. I also tends to weed out the baddies once you have run with them once or twice.
    There is something to be said for the days when reputation on your server meant something. I never had much problem finding groups, and a lot of times I would just have people that I had run with before whisper me to go to runs.

    With that said, having to find groups while leveling up has always sucked. Being able to queue while you quest is a good thing in my mind, since the group make up for leveling dungeons is really just a formality anyway.

    Not having LFD at max level would be a good thing. And for those who would complain about the time spent finding a group, how are those queues working for you, DPS?

  19. #39
    If they aren't broke, don't fix them. There are plenty of mailboxes in the game, and if someone is being a jerk and sitting on one with a large mount, there is usually another one fairly close by you could go to instead.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cyber-Dalek Master View Post
    I would love to have mailboxes always with your character, but it's something that might not happen. Lore wise I would say it would be Gnomes and Goblins that would come up with the idea, of course the Goblin version would need to explode and throw your mail at, but this feature I don't believe is really needed nor wanted at this time.
    get eningeering

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •