Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Healthcare.gov fails to acknowledge GPL'd code

Obama Administration Uses Pirated Code on Healthcare.gov

Healthcare.gov is using the open source software DataTables, but they've removed all references to the authors or the original GPL & BSD licenses. Yet another example of how it's ignored when the U.S. government (or those allied with it) breaks the law, but individuals, particularly those who've done something the government disapproves of, are persecuted.

UPDATED
    Other open source projects used by the ACA website appear to be properly attributed, making it quite likely that the failure to properly include licensing for DataTables is simply an oversight, rather than any sort of malicious action or "statement" to the open source community.

While the Obama Administration has a far from sterling record on information freedom, this incident is extremely minor. It has no relevance to the merits of the Affordable Care Act. Supporters of the Tea Party appear to be attempting to turn a minor open-source mole-hill into a scandalous mountain completely out of proportion to the original issue.
    Last edited by ringpriest; 2013-10-22 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Changing title, updating information.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Well there goes that intern's job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a means for infringement claims against the federal government.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/28/1498

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Skeptical only because disinformation is rampent when it comes to ACA.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Obama Administration Uses Pirated Code on Healthcare.gov

Healthcare.gov is using the open source software DataTables, but they've removed all references to the authors or the original GPL & BSD licenses. Yet another example of how it's ignored when the U.S. government (or those allied with it) breaks the law, but individuals, particularly those who've done something the government disapproves of, are persecuted.
    Lol'd. Of course it's all Obamas fault, and his government, cos they are all experts in licensing and coding and knew this was happening!

Try this for size: company hired to make the website, they used pirated code, the blame lies with them and them only. You really think Obama sits at home looking at his websites source code? Get a grip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Skeptical only because disinformation is rampent when it comes to ACA.
    Not much to be skeptical about. You can look at the javascript file on the healthcare.gov site and see that it is identical to the one on github minus the copyright information.

github
    healthcare.gov

What this most likely is, is a case of a private contractor taking credit for the work. I doubt this is under direction of Obama or anyone in his "administration" as is being claimed. There simply is no reason for them to do this unless they are trying to get paid for writing the code.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    What this most likely is, is a case of a private contractor taking credit for the work. I doubt this is under direction of Obama or anyone in his "administration" as is being claimed. There simply is no reason for them to do this unless they are trying to get paid for writing the code.
    Plus, the appropriate response is to apologize to the authors, update the files to re-include that copyright statement, and fire whatever company they outsourced the web development to.

And by "apologize", I mean whoever's in charge of website development on the government side. This isn't the kind of thing any major figure should have to get involved in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Plus, the appropriate response is to apologize to the authors, update the files to re-include that copyright statement, and fire whatever company they outsourced the web development to.

And by "apologize", I mean whoever's in charge of website development on the government side. This isn't the kind of thing any major figure should have to get involved in.
    exactly this ^

10+ Year Old Account
    The War against the ACA continues.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    The government didnt do any website development. Like most things it was contracted out and the website in question was contracted to CGI Federal (a Montreal based company). http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/655291.pdf lists most of the contractors who worked on the program and what parts.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-10-20 at 06:54 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    I could also see a federal fraud charge against the person responsible. If they charged the government for development they didn't do, bad things should happen to them.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The government didnt do any website development. Like most things it was contracted out and the website in question was contracted to CGI Federal (a Montreal based company). http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/655291.pdf lists most of the contractors who worked on the program and what parts.
    Yes, I know this, but there's someone who's in charge of the website project, on the government side. They're the ones who were picking who to contract it out to and so on. I have no idea who it is, my only point is THAT is the person who should apologize to the authors.

This isn't something the top staff in the administration need to deal with, is my point. It's the responsibility of someone whose title is something like "Community Relations Director for the ACA" or some nonsense.

only a liberal would make a stink out of this, oh and a crazy tea party member, wait aren't they all crazy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The War against the ACA continues.
    it does that by itself so few people have applied and even fewer have enrolled it will destroy itself
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    it does that by itself so few people have applied and even fewer have enrolled it will destroy itself
    That's fine. Because the sequel is a Single-Payer system.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    only a liberal would make a stink out of this, oh and a crazy tea party member, wait aren't they all crazy?
    I'd love to hear your moronic logic flow that came to that conclusion...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, only half a million applicants in the first 20 days, when the prediction was 7 million by the end of the six month enrollment period.

At the rate it's going, it'll exceed expectations.

10+ Year Old Account
    *smashes fist into hand*
    Damn you Obama, stealing free open-source software...you will pay for this, you...will..pay!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it doesn't. The only thing that will destroy it is misinformation from the 'enemy'.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, only half a million applicants in the first 20 days, when the prediction was 7 million by the end of the six month enrollment period.

At the rate it's going, it'll exceed expectations.
    half a million applied they expect 7million enrolled, and according to the insurance guys, people are having to make up to 7 applications before they can enroll, so the number is closer to 100k in 3 weeks, at this rate they could get as many as 2 million!
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.