Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best Professions

Simple queston, what two primary professions would be most beneficial to a Restoration Shaman for raiding?

Blacksmithing for the two Spirit gems (+640 Spirit) and Tailoring for Darkglow Embroidery (averages ~700-750 Spirit at 90 w/550 Tailoring) are the best professions for maximizing Spirit, and also give you the flexibility to change your priority if you want to boost your Int for throughput. They are not bad for DPS either; BS gives the highest amount of secondary stat boost, and Lightweave/Swordguard Embroidery are great for damage classes.
    Last edited by Tarazet; 2013-10-21 at 04:56 AM.

you realize JCer only gems give 960 spirit and 480 int/haste/mastery whatever you choose which JCing is more spirit then BSing by a wide margin

Deleted
    well you would need to remember that normal gems would give 640 spirit, so JC benefit would be 320 spirit

Deleted
    Blacksmithing + something else. Generally you don't really gem spirit that much these days, so tailor/engi/lw/jc are all pretty even, with tailor and engineering having side-benefits of not being just raw stats.

Deleted
    I have 1 question, why does everyone say Blacksmithing? i don't get it, surely it gives you the same amount if int that all the other ones do (excluding engine and talor). I roll with tailoring since the spirit proc allows be to gem out of spirit a bit more, enchanting is also nice since you can make tons of gold by just DEing your old gear.

Deleted
    Because you are much more flexible with BS and you can use it for secondary stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthran View Post
    I have 1 question, why does everyone say Blacksmithing? i don't get it, surely it gives you the same amount if int that all the other ones do (excluding engine and talor). I roll with tailoring since the spirit proc allows be to gem out of spirit a bit more, enchanting is also nice since you can make tons of gold by just DEing your old gear.
    If you are gemming for Int, BS is the same as the other professions besides Tailoring/Engi. What it gives you is flexibility, since many classes have gone back and forth between main-stat gems and secondaries more than once, even just during MoP alone. There's no other profession that can give you 640 Crit.

I'm BS/Tailoring. It serves me well at the start of the expansion in blues to stack spirit and after that they are fairly even unless a certain secondary stat is better to gem for than int. It also helps for my ele OS, considering I can gem 640 more haste or mastery and Lightweave proc is generally better from a dps standpoint than just having static stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Deristus View Post
    Simple queston, what two primary professions would be most beneficial to a Restoration Shaman for raiding?
    I use JC and BS for the extra sockets on the gloves and bracers via BS and the epic gems from JC
    “I’m like King Midas in reverse. Everything I touch turns to shit.”

Depends on if you're trying to make money or maximize power. Tailor/Smith maximizes power for a healer, but other professions may ease the financial strain of being a raider more. Because the difference between most is so marginal, I tend to go Enchanting/X, that way I can make more money with every upgrade and redundant loot in LFR/Flex is worth more. The timeless isle was particularly kind to that strategy, as 5g tokens turned into 100g crystals and filled out my wallet rapidly.

Unless you are gemming pure Spirit - and no one really is at 540+ ilvl, I would actually avoid Tailoring. If you aren't still stacking Spirit, you aren't going to want to use Darkglow over Lightweave Embroidery either. Lightweave is generally inferior to static INT for healers, because it's a random proc that works out to only the same amount of INT that you would get from static INT averaged out.

BS is generally the best, because it gives you full flexibility to get whatever stat you want. If you want to gem Crit or Spirit or Haste over INT, you can get your profession bonus at a 2:1 ratio compared to secondary stats. JC allows you to do this as well, but only at a 1:1 ratio. IE, the JC gems are +480 INT or +480 SPI for a +320 INT or +320 SPI bonus. However, using the 2 extra BS gem sockets gives you +320 INT or +640 SPI. It doesn't matter at all if you would gem INT in free sockets to begin with, but if you ever want to change your stat itemization, BS gives you 100% flexibility.

For the second profession, I would probably go with Alchemy or Engineering. Alchemy gives you cheaper mana pots that also act as health pots for a survivability/minor output increase - in addition to double duration flasks saving a lot of gold. Engineering has the benefit of allowing you to add on demand burst to major cooldowns (on demand INT is far better for healers than proc INT). Rocket boots are also a huge advantage in a lot of raid encounters, especially for a class that doesn't really have a strong sprint ability of any kind. That advantage alone is intangible, but is something that I would almost value above 320/640 stats.

Enchanting/LW/Inscription are all decent generic professions that don't really offer much above +320 INT (with no flexibility), and I would obviously avoid gathering professions on a raiding main.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsav1 View Post
    you realize JCer only gems give 960 spirit and 480 int/haste/mastery whatever you choose which JCing is more spirit then BSing by a wide margin
    JC is the worst profession if you value secondary stats, which many classes gem for now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsav1 View Post
    No, JC gems only give 480 INT or 480 Spirit/Crit/Mastery/Haste/whatever in total. The JC only gems don't give secondary stats at a 2:1 margin like regular gems do, so it is half as good of a profession as BS if your goal is to gem secondary stats.

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    What are you people talking about?! In game and in real life Engineering is the best profession of all!

How can you compare having "stats" versus:
    Repair bot
    Mail bot
    Gift bot
    Nitro Boost
    Glyder
    Bombs, rockets and a flame thower
    Early tier BiS head peace
    Picking your own locks
    AH, Repair, Bank, Mail box and Gbank all in the same courner in pandaria
    Making your very own helicopter
    Synapse spring (which, btw, gives more burst healing than BS)

And the list goes on... I think... So! engineering is the best. Nuff said.
    Engineering has cool things, but it isn't the best if you're trying to maximize and go up that extra notch. I think so, anyways.

Tailoring is the best profession because the cloak enchant gives you more static spirit than any other profession perk, allowing you to drop spirit on gear a little more.

It's worth noting spirit on gear counts towards MTT so to our class spirit on gear would be more welcome than spirit procs, but that fails to hold when we still get a more spirit from the tailor perk than we could get from JC gems or BS sockets with MTT usage on cd. Remember you are *not* a mana battery and if you play like that you're doing it wrong.

BS is a great one when you consider the versatility, yes, however as for now I believe we all are going for a specific haste breakpoint of choice, then stacking intellect and reforges to crit, so it kind of puts all other "+320 main stat" professions on an equal ground.
    That said, I've chosen LW (early on MoP when it was a "+330 main stat"), so I can craft my things and save some money on bracer enchants and don't feel like dropping it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKroth View Post
    Tailoring is the best profession because the cloak enchant gives you more static spirit than any other profession perk, allowing you to drop spirit on gear a little more.

It's worth noting spirit on gear counts towards MTT so to our class spirit on gear would be more welcome than spirit procs, but that fails to hold when we still get a more spirit from the tailor perk than we could get from JC gems or BS sockets with MTT usage on cd. Remember you are *not* a mana battery and if you play like that you're doing it wrong.

BS is a great one when you consider the versatility, yes, however as for now I believe we all are going for a specific haste breakpoint of choice, then stacking intellect and reforges to crit, so it kind of puts all other "+320 main stat" professions on an equal ground.
    That said, I've chosen LW (early on MoP when it was a "+330 main stat"), so I can craft my things and save some money on bracer enchants and don't feel like dropping it.
    That's only the case if you want Spirit as your profession bonus. At SoO gear levels, it's unlikely that you will. Think of it like this. Darkweave Embroidery is worth +750 Spirit averaged out over uptime, but -180 INT (because it replaces the standard cloak enchant). INT is better than Spirit by at least a 2:1 ratio. If it wasn't, we wouldn't primarily be gemming INT over Spirit. Losing the regular cloak enchant can be considered the same as losing 360 SPI off the 750 that it gives you (and is probably realistically more).

That puts the effective gain from Darkweave to only +390 Spirit, which is actually WORSE than Alchemy about even with JC, and only half as good as BS, if your goal was to get Spirit/regen from your profession bonus. Tailoring was a strong profession back in T14, when regen was a primary limiting factor, and you would want to maximize Spirit, even at the loss of INT. Now that generally no one needs 20,000+ Spirit, it's pretty lacking as a profession, because the INT cloak enchant option is mediocre.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    Engineering has cool things, but it isn't the best if you're trying to maximize and go up that extra notch. I think so, anyways.
    Not really. On demand throughput burst (by using Synapse Strings) is very powerful if you want to min/max and line it up with heavy damage or cooldown use, and gives more potential throughput than static stats. The survivability/utility boost from having rocket boots (and sometimes parachute/glider cloak) in heroic progression also can outweigh minor stat gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    Rocket boots are also a huge advantage in a lot of raid encounters, especially for a class that doesn't really have a strong sprint ability of any kind. That advantage alone is intangible, but is something that I would almost value above 320/640 stats.
    Unless you are like me and get the Explosive Leak Damage everytime I use them in Raid...

My RL had to threaten to drive down to NJ and kick my ass if I used them in the Whirlwind part of Iron Quan ever again...during progression it was literally all night long, over 12 attempts in a row...AoE Raid damage and Jay is taking an extra 40k per second, perfect

I have JC and alchemy. I would go Blacksmithing and alchemy if I had the money to change it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinjersey View Post
    Unless you are like me and get the Explosive Leak Damage everytime I use them in Raid...

My RL had to threaten to drive down to NJ and kick my ass if I used them in the Whirlwind part of Iron Quan ever again...during progression it was literally all night long, over 12 attempts in a row...AoE Raid damage and Jay is taking an extra 40k per second, perfect
    It's not really difficult to deal with - especially as a healer - just use Astral Shift and a healthstone if necessary.