Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I'm convinced that in certain areas in the U.K Caucasians face very real discrimination both in crime and social attitudes, in one area of the U.K they're a minority. It's not widespread, and i'll never claim it to be so - but it occurs.
    And that's fine. I just know too many people that say that white males are being shit on left and right (to the point of if you are a white male, you are being wronged by society), without providing much proof for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    No. That's what I figured you meant, but it could also just be unacceptable to suggest that being white, male, or any other group with "power" perhaps has problems or is a victim of the pendulum swinging too far. I'm not saying that, that is the case, only that the lack of research doesn't prove it isn't a problem. Unfortunately politics exist in science when science should be able to ask any question without fear of repercussions.
    True enough I suppose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It might be. I just don't have evidence of any kind I'm willing to use to make a claim either way.
    Might be? The governments goal is to "Stop violence against women in relationships." - nothing about "Violence in relationships needs to be stopped" or "Stop violence against men in relationships". What do you read from that? To me it seems as if they're implying only men subject their partners to violence in relationships. Despite reports showing that men are subjected to violence more often in relationships than women.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    http://translate.google.se/translate....svd&sandbox=1

Fixed the translation a bit:

How can there be too many? It seems to me that she wants quotas to push out white males from such positions to introduce women. If she wants to see women there they should have to perform better than those already sitting there.
    This is funny, because Sweden has been one of the fiercest opponents against gender qoutas in the EU. You should know that.

Europe’s listed companies will be forced to reserve at least 40 per cent of their non-executive director board seats for women by 2020 or face fines and other sanctions under a proposal being drafted by the European Commission.

The legislation, a copy of which was obtained by the Financial Times, is aimed at what EU officials believe is a severe gender imbalance across the bloc’s 27 member states. EU data shows that in January, women represented only 13.7 per cent of board positions in large listed companies.

Although several EU countries – including France, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands – have already adopted their own national quotas, such hard limits have run into fierce resistance by Britain and Sweden, which currently have no limits.

An official in the UK’s business department said the government had yet to see the commission’s proposal, but added: “Our position will still stand – we are opposed to legislation for quotas.”
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    And that's fine. I just know too many people that say that white males are being shit on left and right.

True enough I suppose.
    I see, playing the violin for the "White man" isn't required - the situation we're faced with is a curious one, on one hand we face almost equal rates of DV perpetrated agaisnt both male and female - yet we provide more funding to women's shelters than men's.

Ignoring that 80-90% of the homeless in the U.K are men, the vast majority of shelters are directed for women and children only - The only organizations that target the demographic are churches.

Then of course, we have the pedophile scare - It's largely why men are petrified to enter education with children, one allegation of wrong doing - even a rumor, will forever destroy a persons life.

We have issues that society overlooks, they're not hugely oppressive barriers - but they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Now you are obviously just making shit up. Let me guess you are another Assyrian "refugee" who desperately want to make himself feel better by shitting on the country that showed him mercy in the first place.
    I assure you; Tomatketchup wasn't just making it up. I've heard similar speculations from an English historian. I've not found any reliable sources to back it up, but that doesn't mean the speculation doesn't exist.
    There's also some linguistic evidence that the name Odin may have very similar, if not the same, origins as 'Adonai,' a Babylonian deity.

Now; considering the fact that the Aryan region is the origin region of all indo-germanic civilization (and, indeed, languages), it shouldn't be all too surprising that Odin shares a lot of similarities with Adonai, Elohiim and Vishnu.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://translate.google.se/translate....svd&sandbox=1

Fixed the translation a bit:

How can there be too many? It seems to me that she wants quotas to push out white males from such positions to introduce women. If she wants to see women there they should have to perform better than those already sitting there.

Might be? The governments goal is to "Stop violence against women in relationships." - nothing about "Violence in relationships needs to be stopped" or "Stop violence against men in relationships". What do you read from that? To me it seems as if they're implying only men subject their partners to violence in relationships. Despite reports showing that men are subjected to violence more often in relationships than women.
    These things I can agree with you on. Least the latter I have a say in as a nurse (have the ability to ask both of them about domestic violence without looking like I am needlessly prying).
    Last edited by Gemini Sunrise; 2013-10-21 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    noting he has Caucasian cousins.
    I like how the go to defense against racism is I have a "Insert race here" Relative

Deleted
    Now you are obviously just making shit up. Let me guess you are another Assyrian "refugee" who desperately want to make himself feel better by shitting on the country that showed him mercy in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by K0rr3 View Post
    The more he shits on the country the more money he gets... just sayin
    I'm sorry, Assyria was wrong. I meant Scythia, how silly of me.

Both Snorri Sturluson and Olaus Verelius (which I sincerely hope you know who they are seeing how incredibly educated you seem to be) agree that Odin was once upon a normal man, with Snorri saying Odin emigrated from around the Turkey area up to Sweden and bringed with him advanced technology. It is also most likely that Scythian immigrants were the ones who created our Nordic runic alphabet (just look up the Scythian alphabet yourself). It is almost universally agreed that the word "Asar" came from the word "Asia". But if you have anything better to come with, go ahead and say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I'm sorry, Assyria was wrong. I meant Scythia, how silly of me.

Both Snorri Sturluson and Olaus Verelius (which I sincerely hope you know who they are seeing how incredibly educated you seem to be) agree that Odin was once upon a normal man, with Snorri saying Odin emigrated from around the Turkey area up to Sweden and bringed with him advanced technology. It is also most likely that Scythian immigrants were the ones who created our Nordic runic alphabet (just look up the Scythian alphabet yourself). It is almost universally agreed that the word "Asar" came from the word "Asia". But if you have anything better to come with, go ahead and say.
    Even more interesting is the notion that the Teutons may have been a Scythian or proto-Scythian people. Well; that's actually my personal hypothesis.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Even more interesting is the notion that the Teutons may have been a Scythian or proto-Scythian people. Well; that's actually my personal hypothesis.
    Not a big surprise if that is the case, your theory fits perfectly with the period of Scythian migration.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    And that's fine. I just know too many people that say that white males are being shit on left and right (to the point of if you are a white male, you are being wronged by society), without providing much proof for it.

True enough I suppose.
    Its the double standard that felicitates in the discrimination.

It is easier to give you some example to help you understand then try to explain it

Miss black America pageant----what would happen if there was a Miss white America pageant
    National Council of Women's Organizations-----would a National Council of Men Organizations be allowed
    Black man chambers of congress---would a white man chamber of congress not be considered racist

I can continued but you should be getting the point

Deleted
    I assure you; Tomatketchup wasn't just making it up. I've heard similar speculations from an English historian. I've not found any reliable sources to back it up, but that doesn't mean the speculation doesn't exist.
    There's also some linguistic evidence that the name Odin may have very similar, if not the same, origins as 'Adonai,' a Babylonian deity.

Now; considering the fact that the Aryan region is the origin region of all indo-germanic civilization (and, indeed, languages), it shouldn't be all too surprising that Odin shares a lot of similarities with Adonai, Elohiim and Vishnu.
    I'm not debating the etymological origin of the word but the common version is that Odin is an Anglicized form of Old Norse Óðinn which was derived from óðr "inspiration, rage, frenzy". It ultimately developed from the early Germanic *Woðanaz.
    Tomatketchup suggested that Odin was an Assyrian immigrant who got worshiped like a God because of his technological superiority which is just preposterous.

I'm so tired of people painting Vikings as some kind of savage brutes who slept in their own feces. They were great explorers and tradesmen. Vikings were the first to use the Magnetic Compass to navigate the seas so they did have some technological prowess though they used natural magnetite deposits and not manufactured magnets.

The term "racial" is biologically and thus politically wrong. We all are of one and the same race, there is no black, nor white, nor whatever race, but the human race. There are ethnic distinctions but no "racial" ones. All the differences regarding skin color, cheekbones, noses, eyes, etc. derive from geographic and thus climatic variations and do not constitute a race within a race.

I am writing these lines not because I don't know that "racial" and "racist" are often confused with each other, but because I notice a rather dull use of the word "race" in this thread. The term "racist" is used for people who still think in ancient and ignorant patterns and thus some of them are easily motivated to commit hate crimes.

The expression "racial attack" is just idiotic.

I'm not debating the etymological origin of the word but the common version is that Odin is an Anglicized form of Old Norse Óðinn which was derived from óðr "inspiration, rage, frenzy". It ultimately developed from the early Germanic *Woðanaz.
    Tomatketchup suggested that Odin was an Assyrian immigrant who got worshiped like a God because of his technological superiority which is just preposterous.

I'm so tired of people painting Vikings as some kind of savage brutes who slept in their own feces. They were great explorers and tradesmen. Vikings were the first to use the Magnetic Compass to navigate the seas so they did have some technological prowess though they used natural magnetite deposits and not manufactured magnets.
    I made a similar point to Tomatketchup about the perceived brutality. However, etymology is still important, even if we assume that Odin was a human being. I personally think that part of Odin WAS human. And part was not. Which one is older? I'm convinced that Odin the God is older than Odin the Human, but I do think that there may once have been a person whose endeavors have become integrated with Odin the God, and to whom the name 'Odin' (and all that that entailed) was attributed. It's not impossible for people to be renamed gods, or gods be renamed people.

Snorri Sturloson and Olaus Verelius both did not have access to proto-Indo-Germanic etymology and may (probably) not have known that Indians and Teutons are pretty much the same peoples. It's not very obvious that they share cultural and ethnic heritage. Furthermore, both looked at Teutonic mythology and culture from a very biblical perspective. That doesn't make them entirely wrong; it just makes them not-entirely-right.

Edit: By the way, 'Othr' may have been derived from Othinn, rather than Othinn from Othr. Just like 'enthousiasm' is derived from 'deus,' while 'deus' is not derived from 'enthousiasm.' Or 'spirited' is derived from 'spirit.' Not the other way around.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-10-21 at 03:01 PM.

Deleted
    And that has to do with anything I said how? It could easily be that the Scythian immigrant might've had a completely different name and then getting Odin as a nickname.
    How is it preposterous?
    Who ever said they were backwards? Besides, technology doesn't mean bringing large machines, bringing technology might as well be showing how to use a simple stone as a compass. Then there's the fact that Odin most likely came to Sweden during the very early 1st millenium, it makes perfect sense that Odin would be able to show the Swedes technology that would later be modified by other Swedes to create even more advanced technology, some of which might've been used by the Vikings.

- - - Updated - - -

I made a similar point to Tomatketchup about the perceived brutality.
    I have never said Sweden was backwards during the 1st millenium. Where do you guys get this from?

I have never said Sweden was backwards during the 1st millenium. Where do you guys get this from?
    Your statement that Odin was perceived as a god because of his technological superiority. That's saying the Norse were backwards barbarians, like it or not.

Deleted
    Your statement that Odin was perceived as a god because of his technological superiority. That's saying the Norse were backwards barbarians, like it or not.
    That's just a slippery slope argument. First of all, Swedes obviously had advanced techniques of their own in order to survive in the cold unforgiving lands they lived in, that doesn't mean that Swedes may not have gotten a lot of other advanced technology from the Scythians. For example, Scythians are well-known for being great at shooting arrows from horseback - that might've led to why Odin is percieved as the God of war in Norse paganism, as well as explaining Sleipnir's existance.

That's just a slippery slope argument. First of all, Swedes obviously had advanced techniques of their own in order to survive in the cold unforgiving lands they lived in, that doesn't mean that Swedes may not have gotten a lot of other advanced technology from the Scythians. For example, Scythians are well-known for being great at shooting arrows from horseback - that might've led to why Odin is percieved as the God of war in Norse paganism, as well as explaining Sleipnir's existance.
    I don't see it as a slippery slope argument at all. You're still saying that the Norse must have been very impressed by baubles to the point of calling someone a God. And then you say that they had technology of their own, so you didn't call them stupid... Which is internally inconsistent, because calling a person a god because of impressive technology is pretty much the epitome of stupid. It really doesn't get more stupid than that.

Deleted
    I don't see it as a slippery slope argument at all. You're still saying that the Norse must have been very impressed by baubles to the point of calling someone a God. And then you say that they had technology of their own, so you didn't call them stupid... Which is internally inconsistent, because calling a person a god because of impressive technology is pretty much the epitome of stupid. It really doesn't get more stupid than that.
    Again, I have never said they worshipped him as a God directly. It was common to praise and make up stories about tribe chieftains after their death - see it as a martyr, if you will - and thus Odin might easily have become a tribe chieftain who might've gotten the reputation as a leader of war, with his Scythian skills in war tactics as inspiration.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm locking this, since the OP was a little baity, and the thread hasn't been on-topic since page 3 or so.