Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Of course there is benefit in doing so, challenge and helping lowbies and if you use the current system you have the added benefit of getting to play a class you may not be familiar with.
    I think you and Ende-whatever just hate it for the sake of hating it.

I want to do low level content with my higher level character, also, some people have no room to make a new alt or just don't want to commit the time to level all the way up just to do one of their favorite dungeons. Now, you can do all of the dungeons at any time for a slight increase in difficulty and you get some rewards for doing so.

if you don't understand the point of it then don't do it. I think most people would enjoy trying it out and if you don't. DON'T DO IT

go sprint through old content super fast and create your alts.
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2013-10-21 at 06:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a technical standpoint it seems to me to make more sense to embed the scaling technology in the gear and player rather than make new versions of every instance and raid. It simply requires that the gear have some algorithms associated with it so that attributes can be reduced at will. That would be ilevel and is probably one of the reasons why it was implemented. Turning off certain spells would be rather straightforward--scale to zero damage below some ilevel--and whatever code used to be around for spell ranks is probably still there.

Which is why my guess is that we scale down instead of the instance scaling up. Add that to the quite obvious examples of gear scaling up or down to be found elsewhere in the game (and on the PTR for raid testing where gear can be scaled up) and it's perfectly reasonable to assume that this is how they're going about it.

I think this has been in the works for a very long time. FWIW, I largely agree with Daetur that whether or not the content scales up or we scale down or some mix of the two things doesn't much matter. For those that want to do this, running old dungeons and raids in a relevant way--especially raids--should be fun. Which is the point: fun. If that doesn't sound like fun to you, then this isn't for you. The rest of us will enjoy it.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-10-21 at 06:50 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Ok so every zone has some tough tasks to complete in both GW2 and Wow... in Wow u can come back to that zone when u out-level the problem and smash through it, in GW2 ur forced to complete the task at the same level. Imo that sounds like GW2 is simply giving u challenges which are more demanding to complete...
    Have you seen the hate for challenge modes and PG's? How people can't surpass it by progressing their character (The very cornerstone of an RPG), etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Ok so every zone has some tough tasks to complete in both GW2 and Wow... in Wow u can come back to that zone when u out-level the problem and smash through it, in GW2 ur forced to complete the task at the same level. Imo that sounds like GW2 is simply giving u challenges which are more demanding to complete...

So your accusation of scaling being 'subjective' isnt true... the description i just gave above shows that Wows levelling is more subjective. In GW2 u beat the challenge as its designed and in Wow u come back and beat it when its not a challenge anymore.

Basically the entire purpose of scaling to the same level is so that everyone is doing the content with the same tools at their disposal.... This works particularly well in the GW2 PvP zones where everyone is scaled up to max level.
    Forced content scaling in GW2 is a necessary evil, because naturally a B2P game doesn't have as robust a development budget as a P2P game. So they compensate by making all of the starter zones into relevant content. Whereas in WoW, other than for the sake of achievements you only need to go through one.

Comparing GW2 to WoW is apples and oranges. But one thing where GW2 beats wow is the design philosophy. Behind the PVE. It's 100% cooperative. If you're doing an event that's a little bit tricky and another player comes along it's a happy moment.

Typically when you're doing a quest in WoW you feel inclined to dread having other players come and start working on the same quest. And when you're in the dungeon or raid that drops the bow you want, you dread the thought of another hunter wandering in.

But that's been partly fixed with individual loot for lfr and flex. In normal mode, now that flex is the tool of choice for pugs, guild loot rules pretty much fix the problem.

So they just need to fix the questing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I think you misunderstand the meaning of "subjective." If something is "subjective," it is based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
    I know what it means, your sentence reads as if ur only accusing the guys who like scaling as being subjective... sorry lol

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I mean that it is your opinion that you like GW2's style better, and it is my opinion that I like WoW's style better. One is not factually, unarguably better than the other.
    I agree its a matter of opinion and neither can be proven right or wrong... i just thought u would have more substance to explaining why u didnt like scaling, apart from just saying "i didnt like it".

At the end of the day i agree with Pann, and thats to say its pretty pointless to add this into Wow now after so long. If its optional the % of players who will activate it wioll be negligable as theres not much point to do so... like i said, Wow hasnt been designed from the ground up with scaling in mind, and it can only work if it has been designed that way.
    Last edited by mmoc978ad45763; 2013-10-21 at 06:53 PM.

Good to have more features as having more options is always great, but I still see no point to doing this for dungeons. Who is going to scale their gear back and run them and what is the point? Seems like a lot of work to implement for something no one will use. JMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    But that's been partly fixed with individual loot for lfr and flex.
    yep arguably another feature of GW2 they copied lol

The GW2 devs explicitly said (before GW2 launch) the whole game was built around individual loot, and that was in response to all the QQing in wow since vanilla. An improvement they said shouldve been made a long time ago in Wow.
    Last edited by mmoc978ad45763; 2013-10-21 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyl View Post
    It might be cool, as long as it's optional.
    Strange is the way it happened to you.
    You were in queue for an heroic, and it put you in Stratholme at lvl 45 ?
    Why on earth would it not be optional?

I agree its a matter of opinion and neither can be proven right or wrong... i just thought u would have more substance to explaining why u didnt like scaling, apart from just saying "i didnt like it".

At the end of the day i agree with Pann, and thats to say its pretty pointless to add this into Wow now after so long. If its optional the % of players who will activate it wioll be negligable as theres not much point to do so... like i said, Wow hasnt been designed from the ground up with scaling in mind, and it can only work if it has been in the first ploace.
    There is a ton of reason to do this content, I don't know how many times people have to explain that to you. There might not be any reason for YOU to do it, but a lot of other people have reason to do it.

Its being added, I assure you 100%.

Its one thing to scale everybody's gear for a battleground or something where that is part of the challenge. However scaling your gear down for all old world instances is something where the concept is better than reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Omg copying Rift mentoring! *flip table*

It is cool, it is a nice way to help lowerlevel players or alts
    EQ2 implemented mentoring many years ago so don't even try it. All mmos copy features from each other.

The GW2 devs explicitly said the whole game was built around individual loot in response to all the QQing in wow since vanilla. An improvement they said shouldve been made a long time ago in Wow.
    And holy crap man, get your GW2 blinded fan attitude out of here, if you like GW2 better then go play GW2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    EQ2 implemented mentoring many years ago so don't even try it. All mmos copy features from each other.
    What this guy said.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerOfTwo View Post
    No No No No No No No. Running old _INSTANCED_ content at old levels is fine, knock yourselves out, but the zone wide deleveling guild wars style is in my humble opinion utter crap. If i need to do daily's / farm something i want to pull 20 mobs and aoe them down not have to eat / drink after every pull..... but then again i'm prolly in the minority that thinks blizzard by their own hand has made "overworld" content redundant and boring so feel free to start flaming.
    At no point whatsoever has Blizzard ever implied or said they wanted to forcefully delvl any players in any content whether it is dungeons or open world content. Seriously there isn't even an official announcement yet and people are already starting up bullshit nonsense.

NOT to burst your bubble but that's a known bug. You can replicate it with ease by going to a 5man finishing it using the LFD tool. When it's over and everyone leaves pop out your mole machine and take the mole then check the LFD interface and it will say do you want to look for more to finish the dungeon you say yes and within a few minutes you will be places with lvl 45-50 people. It's a nice bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Excited that you have to run instances you have already run for years with all your characters?
    What? Who said anything like that? It would be an optional feature for those who want to use it. Jesus christ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hallufauz View Post
    It basically does the same thing that happens in low level battlegrounds. A good thing, as long as it's optional and not forced upon.
    Why would Blizzard make players do this? Nothing in anything they have said in the past few years about level scaling has ever implied they would make players do this. Why are you people looking for trouble where there is none?

The GW2 devs explicitly said (before GW2 launch) the whole game was built around individual loot, and that was in response to all the QQing in wow since vanilla. An improvement they said shouldve been made a long time ago in Wow.
    How soon before launch? Because here's the WoW Dev Watercooler from March '12 that discussed the personal loot:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4736886
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Treacherous View Post
    if there going to scale gear down to be on par with leveling zones they better take away access to high level spells otherwise the whole system will just feel very dodgy
    Why would they scale gear and enchants and gems and not actual spells and abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Why would Blizzard make players do this? Nothing in anything they have said in the past few years about level scaling has ever implied they would make players do this. Why are you people looking for trouble where there is none?
    To be fair, mate, people have the right to worry. Though doubtful it will be forced on you, some people are just stating it would only be bad IF they forced it.

So all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Treacherous View Post
    if there going to scale gear down to be on par with leveling zones they better take away access to high level spells otherwise the whole system will just feel very dodgy
    Spells are already being scaled by level, and they're also getting scaled whenever you do stuff on the PTR or challenge modes. Different levels of spells haven't been in the game since Wrath I believe.