Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Subscriber Increased XP Rate

So, I'm considering going sub for the usual reasons, but I'm concerned about the increased experience gain. I have a few friends I play with and I'm concerned I'd outlevel them if I went sub if they didn't, between the general exp boost as well as rested exp.

Anyone play with non-subs like this, and have any input? Is it not as big a deal as I think?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's actually a very big deal. The XP decrease starts after level 10. So you will outlevel them by the end of the second planet. This effect can be mitigated or cancelled with the XP Boosts available on the Cartel Market or on the GTN (Auction House). The rested XP cannot be cancelled, however. And it will severely impact your friend's XP when defeating Silver or Gold enemies.

If they play more often than you, and are willing to run a few flashpoints while you are offline, then you might be able to manage the difference. It's very difficult for fellow players to stay with the game when they level more slowly. I haven't played with any F2P friends beyond the third planet. If anyone else has more experience with this, or if changes to the game have made my assessment incorrect, please share in the comments.

You will outlevel them for sure. But there's a bit of cap about 4-5 levels above the content when xp gain becomes very low. So what would happen is that you'd jump about 4 levels ahead of your friends, but then you'd stay that far ahead of them. Assuming that you are doing content around their level.

I.e. The Tatooine bonus series is level 28 content. Your friends should be 27-28 at that point. You will be 32-33. But you will be gaining xp at a very low rate because you overlevel the content.

That's my guess at what would happen. I am not certain about this though.

Don't suppose there's a way to disable it? Because that would turn into a total no-go for ever going sub, for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    Don't suppose there's a way to disable it? Because that would turn into a total no-go for ever going sub, for me.
    Nope you can't disable it but you can do little things like logging off in areas where you don't accrue rested xp and make sure your mates log off in places where they accrue rested xp. Get your mates to do space missions, run FPs or do some WZs while you go to the pub for a few pints now and again
    Also try and keep your gear level closer to your mates' character level than your own, this will mean you being a higher is level less of an issue in terms of being a walk through the content.
    This coupled with what Rohan said about you getting less xp for being a few levels higher will keep things in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    Nope you can't disable it but you can do little things like logging off in areas where you don't accrue rested xp and make sure your mates log off in places where they accrue rested xp. Get your mates to do space missions, run FPs or do some WZs while you go to the pub for a few pints now and again
    Also try and keep your gear level closer to your mates' character level than your own, this will mean you being a higher is level less of an issue in terms of being a walk through the content.
    This coupled with what Rohan said about you getting less xp for being a few levels higher will keep things in check.
    If I am not mistaking, if his friends are F2P they are not allowed rested xp anywhere. And like Rohan said you will remain a steady few lvls above them after 20ish or so, I am a sub and do only story missions and my xp is steady I dont jump lvls dramatically, so as long as you do not mind being a few lvls higher (should not get higher than 4-5) then you will still be able to do the story content with them. Hell it will even be a boon to them since you will have a bit higher damage meaning mobs die faster, depending on class and if you have a healer you can run the planet heroics with them to boost their xp gains and gear to boot, run FPs with them and mow through them a bit faster.

There are some good advantages to being a few lvls higher and you wont be THAT far ahead. They will get 1hr xp boosts for completing end planet story missions too so they will have those to help keep the distance down, just dont use yours and log out outside cities and fleet you guys should be fine.

I guess abandoning some quest and just getting the mob xp while your friends keep the quest and get the turn in xp might help

basically stick to story quest and main planet story, while abandoning the side quests as needed

Honestly, I would not sub in your case. It isn't really necessary while levelling. Plus, you get get most of the other perks as you need them by purchasing unlocks on the GTN.

You may just want to buy $5 to $15 worth of Cartel Coins. That will make you a Preferred player, and give more perks, but will still restrict your XP. And then you can use the cartel coins to purchase other perks that you may want.

Is there a specific reason you want to sub?

The sub exp boost is sort of painfully fast.

You will out level the story if you aren't careful : /

Boss fights tend to be less epic when you can roflstomp them.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    In no particular order, character slots, character races, space missions, various cosmetic/QOL things, etc.

Basically, I don't object to buying them, I'm just generally lazy and wouldn't mind subbing just to cut through the red tape. I may well end up buying much of what I would get as a sub, but it still feels like a bit of a raw deal buying things individually, even though the total amount I'd pay with a sub would probably end up being higher.

In no particular order, character slots, character races, space missions, various cosmetic/QOL things, etc.

Basically, I don't object to buying them, I'm just generally lazy and wouldn't mind subbing just to cut through the red tape. I may well end up buying much of what I would get as a sub, but it still feels like a bit of a raw deal buying things individually, even though the total amount I'd pay with a sub would probably end up being higher.
    Go with Cartel Coins then. Easiest solution. Maybe a little more work on your part, but you get to stay in sync with your friends.

Its really not an exp gain for subbing, but a exp loss for F2P players. Unless they changed something since I last played.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    Its really not an exp gain for subbing, but a exp loss for F2P players. Unless they changed something since I last played.
    Six of one, half dozen of the other. The bottom line, for me, is that there will be a gap that I can't mitigate as the subscribing player, and I can't reasonably ask the rest of the crew to go sub as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Honestly, I would not sub in your case. It isn't really necessary while levelling. Plus, you get get most of the other perks as you need them by purchasing unlocks on the GTN.

You may just want to buy $5 to $15 worth of Cartel Coins. That will make you a Preferred player, and give more perks, but will still restrict your XP. And then you can use the cartel coins to purchase other perks that you may want.

Pretty much this. Also you can quit the game in non-rest areas to avoid getting rested xp and don't use your xp boost items you get as quest rewards and that should help even things out some. But really the only reason I can see to sub is if you are max level and want to do a whole lot of dungoens, raids, PvP, or buy expensive things off the galactic network. You can actually even still do the limited content by buying passes off the GN(not that hard to get the money).

If they were a great company and you wanted to support them by giving them I could understand subbing, but seeing how they treat all their players makes me not want to give them a cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    You are wrong.

F2P players level at the original speed of subscribers at launch.

Leveling speed was increased significantly post launch and then when they added F2P they placed F2Pers at the original speed.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    You are wrong.

F2P players level at the original speed of subscribers at launch.

Leveling speed was increased significantly post launch and then when they added F2P they placed F2Pers at the original speed.
    So one could say at the time of the F2P launch, F2P leveling speed was reduced in comparison to the current leveling speed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is it really that big a deal? Even if you end up being a few levels higher than your friends, you'll still be playing the same content as them regardless of whether you were subbed or not.

Like, you planned on playing exclusively with them, yes? All aiming to do stuff together? So, what, if you end up outlevelling a planet it's not like you're gonna just ditch them and move on up. You'll still be playing the same stuff, only you'll be a bit more powerful than your friends meaning stuff dies quicker anyway.

And if you level so far ahead that you get no further exp from the planet you're playing on... so what? Isn't thag what you want anyway?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    I need to get onto Bioware; I am clearly not getting the correct Xp as a subscriber.

Just finished Hoth. Started at 38. Did all non-heroic quests available and exited at 40. What. The. Fuck?

I apologize for my nerd rage, but I feel like my sub is a waste right now.

Edit, this is brought on by the Tattooine comment. I was 25 when I started and exited having done two flash points in between and getting daily reward for both due to 2pm reset. All quests besides the two side ones in the dune sea and I had levelled to 28.

Something is wrong with my experience compared to others subbing.
    Last edited by mmoc5ef6914e13; 2013-10-22 at 11:19 AM.

Um as a sub I can tell you the rested xp rate is total shit ....as long as you are playing along with them and they have the guild xp boost and the maybe buy the 25% xp boost they will be totally fine ...really anyone who wants to sub for more rested xp that would be the worst reason ever ..LOL it's a joke

10+ Year Old Account
    I have several lvl 50 and all of them are PURE f2p without use of XP BOOST, i have played in my current accnt since the start of f2p and after release of RotHC i took break as i could no longer find OPS for classic OPS. came back 15 days ago and i thought something was wrong with xp gain. so i created a fresh character and that is when i realized what EAWare has done : 1-10 xp gaining is same, starting from 10 the xp required per lvl has been increased, how do i know that? i remember on all of my previous character when i was leaving kaas/coruscant i was 18 after doing all quests available including heroics, but in this new character i was 16 after leaving kaas and yes i did all quests including heroics, on top of that i used 2 minor xp boosts and did FP+WZ to complete those newly added tutorial quests. seems like EAWare have upped their "subscribe or you get stick up your ass" game a bit.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.