Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffy33 View Post
    shooting random people IS NOT PROPERLY using a gun. Guns are for hunting, self defense, and wars. If you arent using it for one of those 3 things then its not being used correctly.
    A gun is used for what ever reason the person holding the gun feels like using it for. Shooting someone with the gun, is still technically using it properly.

And before you try to dismiss me as a gun " hater " i own 3 handguns and an assualt rifle.

Deleted
    the problem is we live in a society that glorifies guns. Either through music, TV, or games like GTA 5. The problem comes when people arent taught proper gun safety and learn to respect guns. Its probably the reason these things hardly ever happen in the South. Most of my friends all grew up hunting. I was taught from a very early age that guns are a dangerous tool and can kill if not handled properly. We were always around guns. Obviously we knew they could kill because we were always hunting. We knew how to properly handle any type of firearm. Guns are no different than cars. Im sure when most people get their license the first thing your parents did was talk about how much responsibility it is to drive and how dangerous cars can be if not handled right or if drinking and driving and how easily you can kill someone if you are careless. The same is true for guns. If you educate people on guns then shit like this wont happen. People need to understand guns arent "Cool" They are meant for killing.
    the problem is we live in a society that glorifies guns. Either through music, TV, or games like GTA 5.
    I wouldn't say they glorify guns specifically, but violence generally - Guns just happen to be a central tenant to those games, and as such receive great amounts of attention.

The problem comes when people arent taught proper gun safety and learn to respect guns.
    No, these things occur due to mentally unsound individuals being able to obtain a firearm; be that legally or illegally (Some of the most renown shootings that've taken place were with LEGAL guns)

Its probably the reason these things hardly ever happen in the South. Most of my friends all grew up hunting. I was taught from a very early age that guns are a dangerous tool and can kill if not handled properly. We were always around guns. Obviously we knew they could kill because we were always hunting. We knew how to properly handle any type of firearm.
    I respect that, a gun is a tool - It can be used to kill, but to also provide for yourself amongst numerous other acts - The most notable being, defense.

However, i think you overestimate the individuals whom commit these acts - They're often mentally unsound, with various conditions that should outright bar them from obtaining a firearm - It's those individuals who don't adhere to what you've stated.

They're the 99% of all that's wrong with gun's in America at the moment, homicides with weapons are a secondary concern - Most people are not bothered with that strangely, but when someone shoots up a school an out-roar is had.

Guns are no different than cars. Im sure when most people get their license the first thing your parents did was talk about how much responsibility it is to drive and how dangerous cars can be if not handled right or if drinking and driving and how easily you can kill someone if you are careless. The same is true for guns.
    Hm, i can't exactly fault you on that comparison - They're both tools to be used, one for driving - the other for whatever purpose is deigned needed. Both require licenses, but the similarities stop there.

One is extremely expensive, the other is not - One is saturated within America, the other is not (To a degree, i'd argue that whilst cars are prevalent - firearms swamp them, both legally and illegally)

The same is true for guns. If you educate people on guns then shit like this wont happen. People need to understand guns arent "Cool" They are meant for killing
    It's true, they are - But again, you assume these people committing the acts are sane of mind.

They aren't. (Largely)

10+ Year Old Account
    shooting random people IS NOT PROPERLY using a gun. Guns are for hunting, self defense, and wars. If you arent using it for one of those 3 things then its not being used correctly.
    I think that's obvious?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the right thing to do, I agree with you. But your statement was making it sound like mass shooters are inept morons who don't know how to use a gun. The gun's purpose is to fire bullets. What you shoot with those bullets has nothing to do with proper handling. The shooters targets were people. As sad as that is, he was shooting "properly".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I hope nobody innocent was harmed.
    2 dead 2 injured

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coogles View Post
    More details (may change as more info comes out)...A gunman shot and wounded a 12 year old boy before killing himself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...da-gunman.html

Not to sound heartless here, but when did 2 people = mass shooting?

Gotta love American media....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    And before you try to dismiss me as a gun " hater " i own 3 handguns and an assualt rifle.
    I doubt that you own an assault rifle, given how expensive they are (more than $10000).

Quote Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
    wth is wrong with boys and men in today's world, parents get more involved with raising your children
    Yeh, well if we're going down this route shall we also list the countless times women are also involved in sadistic, grotesque and vile acts as well? No ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    I doubt that you own an assault rifle, given how expensive they are (more than $10000).
    I doubt you know what an assault rifle is, seeing an AR-15 costs around $1000

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Not to sound heartless here, but when did 2 people = mass shooting?

Gotta love American media....
    Well, I know you weren't quoting me, but I just ctrl C + V when I found the article, so I didn't word it that way myself in my OP, it's just how I found it.

Deleted
    Theres a debate on whether a semi-auto rifle counts as an assault weapon, in my view it doesn't.

Theres a debate on whether a semi-auto rifle counts as an assault weapon, in my view it doesn't.
    US government classifies it as one. That's good enough for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    wth is wrong with boys and men
    And so it begins.

US government classifies it as one. That's good enough for me.
    The same government that also classifies Pizza as a vegetable. I'm not bashing the U.S., just a playful retort.

Deleted
    wth is wrong with boys and men in today's world, parents get more involved with raising your children
    The reason is being restrained in the way we live, its not natural.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know nothing but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
    For example, semi-automatic-only rifles like the AR-15 (on which the M16 rifle is based) that share parts or design characteristics with assault rifles are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus are not selective-fire capable.
    Bah rich already made that comment

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Well, I know you weren't quoting me, but I just ctrl C + V when I found the article, so I didn't word it that way myself in my OP, it's just how I found it.
    That why I put the "Gotta love American media" at the bottom. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    I know nothing but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Bah rich already made that comment

You are aware that you can easily make an AR-15 fully automatic?

Edit: To add, when the government wants to ban assault rifles or when they previously had one, the AR-15 falls under this category.
    Last edited by Åmbulance; 2013-10-21 at 05:08 PM.

Well I believe an semi-auto is an assault rifle. I think it should be more a factor on how powerful the weapon is, not if it is fully automatic or not.

In most cases you would only need full auto to lay suppression fire ( or expel rounds at the range because if you return any they cut your ammo budget...) So semi-auto is a much more useful feature than fully auto.

Also an M-16 is technically not a fully automatic rifle (unless you adjust the sear spring). So, would 3 round burst capability classify it as an assault rifle, or is an M-16 not an assault rifle in your eyes either? (I know opinion is opinion and I am just curious on your opinion on the M-16, not trying to be snarky)

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    That why I put the "Gotta love American media" at the bottom. :P
    It's all good, I just felt like saying it!