Changing the path you are on.

So, I'll keep it short, allowing you to ask questions as you see fit.

I'm 28, I am a qualified electrical engineer (city & guilds lvl 3) however I have never worked a single day in it, for the last 8-10 years I have worked in customer services, in a variety of roles, in each working my way up the ranks to management level.

Now, recently, I have had some time off due to stress/anxiety, and I'm progressing greatly with therapy etc, and heading back to work soon, but the question I want to ask is, am I too old to change the path? I don't even know yet what I want to do, I just know what I don't want to do (office management)

I have a family (wife/child) so simply not working and retraining isn't a real option. I can happily take a large pay hit for some form of apprenticeship or so. I know it may seem kind of vague, but I want a career, I'm not set in stone on anything, I have a great track record when it comes to customers, I have a proven track record of technical ability. I'm interested in something that is different not necessarily day by day, but at least somewhat varied in terms of what I do. No stranger to manual labor

So, Any ideas?

Oh, also, in the UK.

So, any advice? or questions in order to give more advice.

You're never too old to change your path. The wife/child part just complicates matters, but doesn't make it impossible.

Have you talked to your wife about what kind of time obligation (to train into something new while working something in your current field)? About what kind of pay cut might be acceptable?

Have you considered entrepreneurship? (that will also require a conversation with the wife...).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Thanks for the swift response Belfpala, My wife is incredibly supportive and well understands the need for short term sacrifice for long term family gains so that would not be an issue.

I don't want to appear like an absolute idiot here, but I have no idea what you mean by Entrepeneurship, unless you mean, starting a business of my own sort of thing? in which case, no I have not, I've known several people who have their own businesses, and the time they get to spend with their families is minimal due to never being able to fully turn off.

One issue is in the UK it is next to impossible to grow skills wise, I would gladly to back to college to diversify my skills and add to my portfolio, but because I get paid pretty well, I get no support from the govt to help with courses, and whilst i get paid pretty well......that doesn't give me leeway to drop upwards of several thousand pounds on things like this sadly.

No, you're not too old. I'm 28 myself, and I'm doing my MA in archaeology. We have students in their 50's who wanted a career change and came to uni to study. One of them finished her undergrad this year and is now working for a commercial archaeology firm. Do what makes you happy.

Deleted
    Just go for it, man. If anything you'll get some more life experience, and that's always a good thing.

Deleted
    I knew a 31 year old bank manager that quit his job to become a Infantryman in the British army, when quizzed about why he left his high paying job he said "I wanted to do it before I got too old and full of regret for never trying it".

So no, you are not too old to change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    ...unless you mean, starting a business of my own sort of thing?
    Yeah, it's not for everyone. It's something I think everyone should keep in the back of their mind, though. As you go through your regular day, pay attention to the things around you. See if you notice any gaps, something you might be able to step into and fill. Or if you notice something that could work better.

I'm not in the UK, but in the US, venture capital is there if you have an idea and you can pitch it in a way that's useful to the military and/or has a plan attached for making profit on it.

Anyway, like I said, not for everyone.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I Appreciate the encouragement, I suppose the first and foremost important thing is deciding what I want to do.
    or at least some vague idea. If only the military would take me!

Deleted
    I Appreciate the encouragement, I suppose the first and foremost important thing is deciding what I want to do.
    or at least some vague idea. If only the military would take me!
    Why wouldn't they?

Err, I have a medical condition known as Dwayne's syndrome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Why wouldn't they?
    Maybe hes not a mindless "sir yes sir no questions asked sir" triggerhappy babykiller with a lack of selfesteem... They really need those at the moment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Maybe hes not a mindless "sir yes sir no questions asked sir" triggerhappy babykiller with a lack of selfesteem... They really need those at the moment.
    You got banned for this kind of moronicism last time.

Deleted
    I take it you failed the ASVAB?

- - - Updated - - -

Err, I have a medical condition known as Dwayne's syndrome.
    That sucks, have you considered the emergency services such as paramedic or firefighter? They will provide you with plenty of excitement and job satisfaction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kame Guru View Post
    You got banned for this kind of moronicism last time.
    I got banned for calling Rich gay, which he apparantly is. Hes like a celebrity everybody knows, so it got infracted because i "trolled" him since they assumed i knew he was. The real trolls got off scotfree. But moderation errors arent up for debate if i remember correctly. Atleast not here.

Deleted
    I got banned for calling Rich gay, which he apparantly is. Hes like a celebrity everybody knows, so it got infracted because i "trolled" him since they assumed i knew he was. The real trolls got off scotfree.
    Got a link to that post please? If all you did was call me gay then that was very unfair, I will petition the mods myself to reverse it if you did not mean it as an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I take it you failed the ASVAB?

- - - Updated - - -

That sucks, have you considered the emergency services such as paramedic or firefighter? They will provide you with plenty of excitement and job satisfaction.
    Hey Rich,

You know, I have thought about other services to society (I'm choosing to ignore the troll poster lest I get myself in trouble, suffice to say I have nothing but the utmost respect for our service personnel and would be proud to be one of them if I had the chance.) - I don't think I'm bright enough to be a paramedic to be honest with you, I have actually thought about working with animals, be it charity related or RSPCA, my only issue is, I genuinely do not think I could see an abused animal without turning around and abusing the owner for what they did..

as you can likely summise from the above, I am quite keen on steering away from mere customer service and into actually helping people. one way or another. I want to be proud when I go home to my family, I want to know I've made a difference. no matter how small or menial.

Deleted
    Hey Rich,

You know, I have thought about other services to society (I'm choosing to ignore the troll poster lest I get myself in trouble, suffice to say I have nothing but the utmost respect for our service personnel and would be proud to be one of them if I had the chance.) - I don't think I'm bright enough to be a paramedic to be honest with you, I have actually thought about working with animals, be it charity related or RSPCA, my only issue is, I genuinely do not think I could see an abused animal without turning around and abusing the owner for what they did..

as you can likely summise from the above, I am quite keen on steering away from mere customer service and into actually helping people. one way or another. I want to be proud when I go home to my family, I want to know I've made a difference. no matter how small or menial.
    I would be the same as you when confronted with animal abusers, I love animals and would probably become violent if confronted by someone cruel like that. Try looking into volunteer work with children or homeless people, even if your working life is shit it all balances out if you get satisfaction from helping others in your spare time.