View Poll Results: Do you like my work over these two races?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love this!

    55 32.74%
  • Not bad, I like them

    49 29.17%
  • I don't like them

    30 17.86%
  • No, I really dislike this!

    34 20.24%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Mechagnome Aerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Maelstrom EU
    Posts
    670
    I really like the Vrykul idea, but on the other hand I dislike the Arakkoa. I think they are hideous, so thats not because of your idea but just because of what I think of the arrakoa.
    I think the racials are a bit inmbalanced / overpowered.

    ps. And unfortunately I'm alliance
    Last edited by Aerr; 2013-10-22 at 09:56 AM.

    Run, rabbit run.
    Dig that hole, forget the sun,
    And when at last the work is done
    Don't sit down it's time to dig another one.



  2. #22
    Thank you all about the nice comments, I'll answer to most of the reviews:
    About Vrykuls
    - I know Vrykul should be able to DK, but I want to consider this race an "after-lichking" born, meaning that they have been decimated by both alliance and horde cause of the Lich King. So every player creating a Vrykul can't roll a DK because it is after wotlk born. (this is an excuse cause the needing of balance about Arakkoas can't be DKs :P)
    - King Ymiron and his wife Angerboda dies yes, but didn't die every boss we killed too? I mean, I don't see any other possible leader for Vrykuls, let them raise again and say sorry to everyone and give an high-five to Thrall. Ymiron was evil cause of the Lich King's control over him (false but just imagining a Blizz explanation).
    - Vrykuls to the Horde just because they really dislike Humans and have a "barbarian concept" that will fit very well into the Horde.
    - Vrykuls can be druid, for my point of view, because they are really linked to the northern nature, far from anything mechanical/technological or polluted.
    About Arakkoas
    - Arakkoas can be druid, I think, because they live in the Terokkar Forest, on tree-houses. They are also basically birds, so they're already so a kind of shapeshift! Also think at the awesome bird-style forms that can be created.
    - they can fly as racial... what's the problem? It's just like a mount with 2 sec cast.
    About high level starting
    - I don't see any problem, except for the fact that their start will include lot of class' abilities together that may cause confusion to new players. So maybe they should be playable like DKs, you can roll them if you have at least a lvl 65 character (example).
    - The lvling differences between Arakkoas and Vrykuls are just 5 levels. What's the problem about 5 levels difference, I really didn't expect such a critic. Every player reaches lvl 90 at the end, so there is nothing OP about this.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Horde Vrykul? That makes no sense what so ever....
    Make it Horde Arakkoa and Alliance Vrykul and logic will be fulfilled...
    ds..
    Well it does make sense.

    Vrykul view humans as a disease (they are a by product of the Curse of Flesh). Vrykuls would take newborns that showed traits of the human affliction out to be deposed off. Why on earth would they then align themselves with them? Even serve under them?

    They worshiped The Lich King as their Death God and Valkyr's are a core part of their lives, it makes perfect sense that they would side with Sylvanas.

    Finally, I imagine they would join the Horde based on their values of courage, bravery, strength. They share many traits with the Horde.

    I want Vrykul in my life.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2013-10-22 at 10:05 AM.

  4. #24
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,019
    I think your story needs work for both.

    Utgarde Keep is a an instanced area, site of two dungeons and the King and Queen are killed during the course of the game.
    Druid would likely be an unsuitable racial choice given the work involved wrt new models. And no....Arakkoa being birds doesn't mean they are already on some form of shapeshift
    You can't really start one race at a higher level than the other - "just" 5 levels is still 5 levels.
    Vrykul dislike the Horde as well.
    Giving the Vrykul an "after LK" feel and starting them off before that?

    The race ideas themselves are fine...and have been suggested before....but the background info, I think, needs some work.

    EJL

  5. #25
    I don't like them starting at higher level. All races should be equal in terms of gameplay, and a mostly aesthetic choice.

    Racials I had in mind for Arakkoa:
    -Feather Cloak (racial slow fall)
    -Peck (racial interrupt, or small damage ability [like the new Forsaken racial] if interrupt is too much)

    Classes Arakkoa should have:
    -Warriors, rogues and hunters (because everyone should have those three)
    -Priests (because that's one of their NPCs' most common classes)
    -Shamans and Druids (they have a lot of shamans, and have druidic knowledge they taught to Lost Ones)
    -Paladins (which wouldn't be actual paladins, lorewise, but "Talon Lords" you see in Sethekk Halls)

    I'm left thinking about mages, warlocks and monks. Mages and warlocks could be added if need be (even though there aren't many Arakkoa NPCs with spells from those classes), and monks depend on how Blizzard handles distribution of monks in the future. Death knights are a big no, they had absolutely no contact with the Scourge.

    As for Vrykul DKs, Death Knights have their own starting zone, separated from the others and "baked in" in a specific point on the timeline. At that point, Vrykul were still serving the Lich King.
    Last edited by Arridor; 2013-10-22 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chen Stormstout
    To ask why we fight is to ask why leaves fall. (...)
    Quote Originally Posted by TotalBiscuit
    Gravity? We fight because gravity? Never listen to a philosophy from a panda.

  6. #26
    The main problem with Vrykul is that they're too big. Tauren is pretty much pushing the limit in regards to how tall playable races can be. I'd love Arrakoa for the Alliance though.
    Disclaimer: No I'm not Alliance. I reserve the right to bat for both factions thank you very much.


  7. #27
    I like the ideas and the Creativeness but the racials is wicked and needs some reconstruction .

    Perhaps something like:

    Arakkoa - Feather Sprout. Unleash feathers in all directions reducing incoming AOE dmg by 10% for 10 sec. 3 min cd.
    Arakkoa - Arakkoa mind/expertise. Increase Expertise/spellhit with Staves and wands by 1%
    Arakkoa - Rapacious Impulse. Needs to scale with something else or just revamp the idea

    Just some thoughts.
    Frostwhisper EU - Hulkovius Elemental
    Armory

    Meow

  8. #28
    Herald of the Titans inboundpaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Close to San Fransisco, CA
    Posts
    2,860
    I would probably play again if I could be a fem vykrul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Sadly, with those actors... the "XXX Adaptation" should really be called 50 shades of watch a different porno.
    Muh main
    Destiny

  9. #29
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tempest Keep
    Posts
    2,807
    instead of starting 5 levels up could just have them start on some vrykul island we havent been to yet

  10. #30
    Pandaren Monk Littleraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,752
    aside from some lore conflicts this isnt too bad.
    "The Horde has committed heinous crimes, Vol'jin. But some among you fought against Garrosh's tyranny. For that, I'm willing to end this bloodshed. But know this : if your Horde fails to uphold honor as Garrosh did, we will end you." - High King Varian Wrynn

  11. #31
    Given the amount of Risen Vrykul on Northrend, I find it highly unlikely to imagine them not being available as DK's. That has nothing to do with wanting to have something to do with the Lich King; you're pretty much risen into undeath whether you want it or not. Also think Vrykul would be a better fit for Alliance than Horde; vice-versa for the Arrakoa.

    For the rest it's cool, would reroll.

  12. #32
    Brewmaster The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karnum's Glade
    Posts
    1,262
    Not a fan of the vrykul becoming a playable race, but I support Arakkoa if there were some return to Outland/Burning Legion expansion, and Ogres for the Horde.

  13. #33
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    16,248
    Quote Originally Posted by flavourcat54 View Post
    Not a fan of the vrykul becoming a playable race, but I support Arakkoa if there were some return to Outland/Burning Legion expansion, and Ogres for the Horde.

    i'd rather play a mok'nathal (half orc/half ogre) than an ogre :P
    Too cool for a signature

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    Thank you all about the nice comments, I'll answer to most of the reviews:
    About Vrykuls
    - I know Vrykul should be able to DK, but I want to consider this race an "after-lichking" born, meaning that they have been decimated by both alliance and horde cause of the Lich King. So every player creating a Vrykul can't roll a DK because it is after wotlk born. (this is an excuse cause the needing of balance about Arakkoas can't be DKs :P)
    - King Ymiron and his wife Angerboda dies yes, but didn't die every boss we killed too? I mean, I don't see any other possible leader for Vrykuls, let them raise again and say sorry to everyone and give an high-five to Thrall. Ymiron was evil cause of the Lich King's control over him (false but just imagining a Blizz explanation). I could easily see almost all of them as Kor'Kron.
    - Vrykuls to the Horde just because they really dislike Humans and have a "barbarian concept" that will fit very well into the Horde.
    - Vrykuls can be druid, for my point of view, because they are really linked to the northern nature, far from anything mechanical/technological or polluted.
    - I also would rather allow Vrykul DKs. So many served the Lich King anyway (Death God) it would only make sense for that time period that they are created.
    - I actually think Ymiron's death makes for a better reason for them to join the Horde. With Arthas and Ymiron gone, they could easily look to Sylvanis and Garrosh as replacements (again for the time period of their creation).
    - Horde fits better than Alliance (unless you reimagine the Arathi as the clan of Vrykul that broke from the rest to keep the fledgling Humans alive and make these Arathi the playable Alliance Vrykul. Still like Horde better).
    - Vrykul should not be druids. Shaman and Hunters are enough for any naturalistic feelings they may have. Then you also don't have to worry about DK balancing.
    Last edited by Futhark; 2013-10-22 at 01:38 PM.

  15. #35
    I am Murloc! The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,624
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Horde Vrykul? That makes no sense what so ever....
    Make it Horde Arakkoa and Alliance Vrykul and logic will be fulfilled...

    Also, Vrykul don't want to be DKs? What? Noone want to be a DK, you're forced into it..
    Arrakoa are not druidic in any sense.. Doesn't make sense to let them be druids..
    Sounds like you have no idea what the hell you're talking about in Lore.

    Vrykul would despise the weak Humans and the Orcish way of fighting would be positive to them, and the Val'kyr are aligned with Sylvanas already.
    Arrakoa hate the Orcish Horde for what they did to Draenor, and have fluff in helping the Alliance already.

    Arrakoa have druids as some of their NPCS anyway, alot of them change form, and their Raven God can easily work as an Ancient.
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

  16. #36
    The Lightbringer Ciddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,980
    I'd be all about Vrykul. A Vrykul warrior would be so badass. I usually prefer to play Alliance though, so I'd want them to be either Alliance or one of those neutral "pick your faction at level 10" races. I realize that it makes more sense for them to be a horde race though. I would just _want_ them to be Alliance playable.

    Only other thing I disagree with on the OP is starting the Vrykul at level 67 and having them out of the starting zone by level 70. Unless you make those 3 levels take a really long time, it seems like that would be over way too quick. I'd just have them start at level 1 like everything else but play in an instanced version of Howling Fjord with a unique racial questline for the first 10-15 levels. I am aware that this might require some redesign of Howling Fjord (because it would be awkward for a Vrykul player to return there at level 70 after having gone 1-15 there), but I think it would be cool and worth that effort.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-10-22 at 02:18 PM.

  17. #37
    I am Murloc! The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,624
    Quote Originally Posted by flavourcat54 View Post
    Not a fan of the vrykul becoming a playable race, but I support Arakkoa if there were some return to Outland/Burning Legion expansion, and Ogres for the Horde.
    Yes, because if there is one thing we Horde players want, it's the predictable stupid crap that is no fun at all.
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

  18. #38
    Stood in the Fire Soulscorch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Const' Angeles, Romania
    Posts
    406
    Well done, OP. I think that maybe u got some aspects wrong.

    1. Alliance gets the uglies again.
    2. Horde gets PvP racials and Alliance gets PvE ones... don't think that's right :P + some are way OP.
    Face your Demons, befriend them, listen to their needs and feed them regularly in times when you and your closest ones get afflicted the least. No one likes a hungry demon on the loose.

  19. #39
    I am Murloc! The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulscorch View Post
    1. Alliance gets the uglies again.
    Again? When have the Alliance ever gotten "The uglies"?
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

  20. #40
    v 0.1

    (Howling Fjord is the land of Vrykuls, starting area in the red cirlcle, capital marked by the star. The lore-quests will mainly explain you the origins and traditions of the Vrykuls and will make you fight the remnant forces of the Lich King)

    (Terokkar Forest is the main land of Arakkoas, starting area lvl 63 in the red circle (floating island nagrand style) and Skettis will be the capital after having completed the chain lore-quests around level 67)
    feeling like a dev ;P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •