Poll: Do you like any of these ideas?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdeh View Post
    I too played rift for a while, didn't necessariy like everything about how nightblades planned out, but I do love the concept. The spec was quite bloated, Some other the abilities did the same thing. The ranged/melee attacks could just be merged by dealing the same damage and using the same button.

I'm not suggesting the whole tree should become some kind of caster or hunter spec, that's undoubtledly out of the question and would not fit a rogue. But to me, a rogue is a violent, agile, fast and close range fighter who will use any advantage available to win a fight - even if that means utilising magic.

I still don't understand monks, but I sure as hell wanted to play one when I saw a melee fighter suddenly cast some massive energy bolt thing finisher as their enemy tried to flee.
    Well yeah... RIFT is a very unpolished game (or was... still haven't gone back). I agree with what you are saying - violent melee fighter. Never was fond of the "ranged rogue" status of some of their abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    Outside the box = copying other games?

I respect all your effort, but if you want a nightblade, you should play rift, because blizzard sure as whatever won't simply copy a whole character concept.
    WoW directly copied a ton of stuff from prior MMO's, including some mechanics from Rift (believe me... mages got one of the worst talents in all of Rift still sitting at level 90, meanwhile Rift blew away that PoS ability within 6 months). I wouldn't necessarily want them to straight out copy the nightblade - nightblade doesn't fit with wow lore. But a fire and shadow wielding melee attacker certainly does fit.

There are fire daggers out there. There have been weapons that have dealt shadow damage. We do enchant our weapons with things that cause frost, shadow, elemental type damage. The idea would be to expand on that type of magic damage. Not to mention - a melee dps that utilizes fire and shadow. Does that not remind you of a certain hero, he of the legendary warglaive persuasion?

Perhaps this would be the best argument against a nightblade archetype - it seems inevitable that blizz will add a demon hunter class, which would make a shadow/fire rogue spec quite redundant.

Eh you're right though, blizz is unlikely to make anything but minor tweaks to sub - it will probably continue to fill the niche of "powerful in spots, but much more complicated to play." It's just a cool thought, one that would bring me further into the fun that rogues have really blossomed into as wow has evolved.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    Well yeah... RIFT is a very unpolished game (or was... still haven't gone back). I agree with what you are saying - violent melee fighter. Never was fond of the "ranged rogue" status of some of their abilities .
    I've never been keen on shruiken toss or deadly throw. They're situational and go against all other abilities the class has really. It's like a Mage getting a melee spell at max level - it doesn't really make sense. I believe they took melee abilties such as mongoose bite away from hunters for a similar reason, although I may be wrong on that I havnt played a hunter since 2007 or about 2.1 when a night elf hunter was my very first character and I used to wonder how some night elves managed to move whilst shadow melded until I later realised it was unique to the rogue class. But hey, it was my first mmo and I was about 13 year olds, I didn't understand the game.

Fire and shadow damage melee character absolutely could make sense though. A nightblade would basically be a rogue spec built around an abiliies such as shadowblades. I really enjoyed playing a frost death knight for a while because of that concept, but there's nothing subtle about a death knight and they are far more related to necromancies style of class/lore than anything subtle or stealth based.