Couple problems with IOS 7.0.2 (iphone 5)

My mother has been flustered & is having issues with her phone since this update and is to the point where she is going to have to go to the mall to get it fixed if its even broken.

I offered my help since I'm generally a geek at just technology itself, but this one has me stumped. I've tried googling for an iphone 7.0 manual, but nothing.

So here's the problems & hopefully someone else out there perhaps knows how to fix it.

1. She is trying to send text messages to her email, but when she checks them all, then sends them off, she never receives the email/text from her phone. So basically she never receives it period.

2. She used to be able to I suppose, double click the 'menu' button and it would open up a list of buttons/screens that she can slide. It still does this, however what it does not do is she as able to hold her finger on the screen for a few seconds then click the 'X's on it to basically exit the programs in the background. I informed her of the background deal in settings, but she wasn't pleased with that since it wasn't the same.

I am no expert of an iphone, but I'm stumped here even with my friend google.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. I'm not aware of any feature in iOS 7 that allows sending a text to an email address. Maybe your mother thought that she was doing that but in fact wasn't.

2. It doesn't work that way. Double-tap the home button and the list of apps appears. To close an app, slide it up.

Lefeng is right.
    I can't send a text to an email address, either. The way to close an app is different now, the "X"s have been removed which did exit in IOS 6.
    It also took me some time to get used to IOS 7, but once I did, it's very convenient.

Text to email doesn't and never did exist.

There is a known issue with IMessages sometimes not working after upgrading to ios7 and if that's enabled she can most likely fix it by turning iMessages off, rebooting the phone and then turning it on again.