10+ Year Old Account

Explosion traps..

Warning; post may contain whining!

So, I discovered a fortress and noticed a couple of chests inside. Clicked it, and a huge explosion kills me. When I return to the place where I died, there's almost no items there. I lost a fully enchanted diamond armor set, my highly enchanted sword, and all my stuff just because I clicked that chest. Is there any way to know if a chest is a trap or what? Are we supposed to just randomly die and lose everything just by clicking a fucking chest?

Quote Originally Posted by CapM View Post

So, I discovered a fortress and noticed a couple of chests inside. Clicked it, and a huge explosion kills me. When I return to the place where I died, there's almost no items there. I lost a fully enchanted diamond armor set, my highly enchanted sword, and all my stuff just because I clicked that chest. Is there any way to know if a chest is a trap or what? Are we supposed to just randomly die and lose everything just by clicking a fucking chest?
    Sounds like you were playing on a server as otherwise nothing would be trapped but that's to keep people out. Or if it was PvP to kill you. That is the point of it. You can try digging around but there are traps that go off if you dig as well. They are called traps for a reason. Unless you cheat there isn't a way to tell really.

Signature Created by Jassinta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Sounds like you were playing on a server as otherwise nothing would be trapped but that's to keep people out. Or if it was PvP to kill you. That is the point of it. You can try digging around but there are traps that go off if you dig as well. They are called traps for a reason. Unless you cheat there isn't a way to tell really.
    Okay, well thanks :-D Another question, will NPC blacksmiths in villages create new items if you empty their chest?

You can actually tell by the color around the latch on the chest. I believe trapped chests (which are the ones that produce a redstone signal when someone's looking inside them) have an orange border around the latch, rather than the regular chest's grey border.

If you emptied the chest, it could have been either a trapped or a regular chest, so spotting the difference there won't help you.

Okay, well thanks :-D Another question, will NPC blacksmiths in villages create new items if you empty their chest?
    I don't believe they will. They're not actually the source of the items in the chests; I'm pretty sure the items are created when the chest spawns.