Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    If you are implying that one skill point a day per account would somehow affect this system other than being a nice perk, I'm not sure what to think. Who is to say the new abilities won't be an additional tier of skill and require 50 pts a piece? Maybe a 100 skill point tier? Assuming 7 skill points a week, 28 a month, would be anything other than a little perk is assuming far too much.
    I wasn't trying to make a point about whether it's overpowered but that it would run counter to having a skill point based progression by giving some of that progression away for free. Rewards are given for actively playing the game, and giving recurring rewards for one-time efforts is something you generally don't get (exceptions exist where the rewards feed into another game activity that is facilitated by it).

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    I wasn't trying to make a point about whether it's overpowered but that it would run counter to having a skill point based progression by giving some of that progression away for free. Rewards are given for actively playing the game, and giving recurring rewards for one-time efforts is something you generally don't get (exceptions exist where the rewards feed into another game activity that is facilitated by it).
    Fair clarification. Plenty of games give rewards directly related to progression from simply logging on every day. In fact, in F2P games it's pretty much a standard. You can see this type of thing already present in GW2 by means of their daily and monthly system, which is just one of a few forms of progression they have currently.

Yes, getting laurels for cosmetic items is progression in GW2. Getting dyes to look fancy is their progression, etc. Since the skills would be horizontal, it's not going to be inherently different.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Antitoxin Spray
    Prepare for battle with a new universal healing skill! A dose of this cutting-edge Antitoxin Spray will cleanse yourself and nearby allies of poison, torment, confusion, and toxin. This skill is available to characters of all professions.
    Is there a difference? Interesting.
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2013-10-23 at 12:32 AM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I'd really like to have that place of power in the home instance, so hopefully the achievements for that won't be too much of a pain. I've been slacking on my quartz transmutations because I can't be bothered to run out to one every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'd really like to have that place of power in the home instance, so hopefully the achievements for that won't be too much of a pain. I've been slacking on my quartz transmutations because I can't be bothered to run out to one every day.
    The Durmond Priory one is pretty convenient, but yeah, it'd be nice to have one next to the ore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Fair clarification. Plenty of games give rewards directly related to progression from simply logging on every day. In fact, in F2P games it's pretty much a standard. You can see this type of thing already present in GW2 by means of their daily and monthly system, which is just one of a few forms of progression they have currently.
    GW2 daily and monthly achievements don't reward you for logging in; they require you to go out in the world (or dungeons) and play the game (other than the once-in-a-blue-moon "laurel vendor" daily that is more of a breadcrumb quest). Encouraging open world play in particular is pretty critical for GW2's event system, so I'm not seeing them putting in too much stuff that draws people away from them (except towards other forms of play, be that WvW, dungeons, crafting, or roleplaying).

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    GW2 daily and monthly achievements don't reward you for logging in; they require you to go out in the world (or dungeons) and play the game (other than the once-in-a-blue-moon "laurel vendor" daily that is more of a breadcrumb quest). Encouraging open world play in particular is pretty critical for GW2's event system, so I'm not seeing them putting in too much stuff that draws people away from them (except towards other forms of play, be that WvW, dungeons, crafting, or roleplaying).
    You mistake the point, which is that they design content to compel you to log on each day. Whether that's an active form like the dailies or simply gaining a skill point every day, getting you to log on is the largest step towards getting you to spend money. If you don't log on, the chance of you spending money is practically nothing (speaking generally here).

But once you're on, the rest of their design can take over and the chances of spending money on average have greatly increased.
    BAD WOLF

watching the WP video, I had forgotten that the Krait would shape-shift (metamorphosis) in GW1. I wonder why they don't in GW2. I found them much more interesting that way in GW1 than the current CC spam that the GW2's version do.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    watching the WP video, I had forgotten that the Krait would shape-shift (metamorphosis) in GW1. I wonder why they don't in GW2. I found them much more interesting that way in GW1 than the current CC spam that the GW2's version do.
    Because a-net forgot that they had both krait and naga in GW so the krait we have now look more like naga from GW than actual krait.

For reference:
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Naga
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Krait

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Krait
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Deleted
    'TOWER of nightmares'

Kessex, tower.... you know, RIGHT?

Whyyyy, why do you do that to me, ArenaNet?

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Because a-net forgot that they had both krait and naga in GW so the krait we have now look more like naga from GW than actual krait.

For reference:
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Naga
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Krait

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Krait
    Now that you mention that, I remember now.

A shame as I thought the Krait were much more interesting than the Naga.

10+ Year Old Account
    Colin on the new healing skill:

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJohanson
    You’ll be able to acquire the skill forever, it’s simply easier to earn (doesn’t cost skill points) during the release window.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post3086982
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Valar morghulis

Looks like hoarding useless mats is quite profitable, hurray for over 10k silk/leather
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Thankfully (since I didn't want to buy more armor) I don't like any of the three new sets. The "Viper" set made me think my ranger would need to look serpentine, but it's just some oddball "hey I'm wearing a towel" or something thing...

And I guess Halloween doesn't get a dungeon this year, sort of disappointing. I enjoyed the Bloody Prince stuff and had hoped for more.

Wow, the new armor skins are actually decent. The weapon skins though... did we really need another 'plant' theme, especially after the re-colored TA weapons not too long ago?

well you kind of have to have the plant theme since the Nightmare court is involved, otherwise it would be completely out of place

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget to get your new healing skill!
    25 skill points on your skills tab or 250 spores + 5g from Marjory.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Probably is because i dont know how to make money out of skill points, but the 25 SP sounds more attractive than the 5g and 250tokens/trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

There isn't much money to be made from skill points. Most people have more than they know what to do with already. The last estimate I read was a 20s return on skill points (from making The Anomaly, I think), which @ 25 would actually come out to 5g.